Iain Banks

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Writer of some popular novels televised over recent years, such as The Crow Road and The Wasp Factory. He also writes scifi novels under the name Iain M. Banks.

Generally I prefer the scifi novels, although these can be a bit hit-and-miss - he can release a book that's not particularly well-received in between two fantastic reads. Many of the books are known as Culture novels, in that they all take place in the same universe populated by the Culture, although the ones that don't tend to be similar in style. There's no need to read them in order however, as they involve different characters & there's no story arcs (as far as I know - I haven't read them all yet).

Although I prefer the scifi, my all-time favourite is the non-scifi novel Whit. It's about a girl who lives a rather sheltered life in a religious cult started by her grandfather in Scotland. Sounds like an odd topic, but it's brilliant! The characters are all so full, that even though the cult is a strange one, you really feel for the girl on her painful spiritual journey. Iain signed my tatty old copy at a reading for The Algebraist, & I couldn't help but feel that he was secretly pleased to be signing such an ancient well-read book. Of course, all I managed to say was "'nk you" :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've not got around to reading any of his books yet but was once astounded to read an article about Terry when the researcher in all honesty wrote that Iain M Banks was a pseudonym that Terry wrote under. :eek:

Where do these people get their facts from? :rolleyes:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
How odd! Well I've met them both - they both have beards but that's about it o_O

Except of course that they both write books that I love

silverstreak

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
Llanelli,Wales
Tonyblack said:
I've not got around to reading any of his books yet but was once astounded to read an article about Terry when the researcher in all honesty wrote that Iain M Banks was a pseudonym that Terry wrote under. :eek:

Where do these people get their facts from? :rolleyes:

Wikkipedia.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It was actually on the BBC website, now I think of it. Terry was being interviewed and the website was advertising it.

You're probably right about Wikipedia though! :laugh: The more often Iuse it, the more I realise that it's full of mistakes.

NightOwl

Lance-Constable
Feb 22, 2009
Iain Banks is the one British author who I would really like to meet (I met TP, years ago!)

Player of Games, Use of Weapons and all thosebooks were superb - until I got stuck in Feersum Enjin I had loved all his books, both sci-fi and general.

Song of Stone also frustrated me a bit TBH, but there are so many that I regard as absolutely first rate - Complicity, Crow Road and the recent ones. I have the boxed limited signed edition of the one about the games company.

"Raw Spirit" is a good read too. I have lost it through loaning it out!

Iain, Ben Elton and TP were the authors that I would always buy the new novels of, confident that 19 times out of 20, I'd love the book.

I think that arguably Banks is the best British sci-fi writer of the last 40 years.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Good to meet another fan! Have you read Matter yet? I've got it, but I haven't had time to sit down to it yet.

NightOwl

Lance-Constable
Feb 22, 2009
Dotsie said:
Good to meet another fan! Have you read Matter yet? I've got it, but I haven't had time to sit down to it yet.
No, for some reason I don't think I have. Must have overlooked it - I was trying to include a wider selection of books in my reading and must have missed it.

NightOwl

Lance-Constable
Feb 22, 2009
talking of bookshops - Barter Books in Alnwick is brilliant - the old railway station converted into a 2nd hand bookshop - I even found a book by Sterling Lanier there (Hiero etc). when I am up in Northumberland, I always come home with lots of books from there.

I still haven't picked up Matter though - trying to finish one or two of the other books I have on the go.

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Jason said:
I loved the Wasp Factory and I think it was the Player of Games I read of his and enjoyed that a lot too. Maybe its time I looked at some of his books again.
Same here! Both books were excellent. Another book which I read and enjoyed and might have been his was The Bridge.

User Menu

Newsletter