Inconsistencies in Discworld books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Lucy said:
.... this may seem a little odd - but I like the loose ends. The problem with nailing every little piece down means there's less room to manoeuvre or develop later on. Pinning them down and 'capturing' them means they become fixed.

One of the things I like about the Discworld books is all the little odds and ends of ideas that Mr P mentions in passing but doesn't develop further as they are not necessary for this plot. It adds a richness and depth which is one of my major reasons for reading and re-reading. Mr P seems capable of generating so many 'idealets' he can discard handfuls as, literally, throwaway lines. He may - or may not - pick one up later and use it to spark off a storyline of its own in a later book, but how could he do that if it was pinned and captured?
:laugh: Fully agree with all that. I think for fantasy genres especially, the readers need to use their own imaginations as much as the author at times. And just as nobody can 'know' everything in the RL - why IS the sky blue and not green? Does the sun HAVE to rise in the east? - why shouldn't it be the same in an even more anarchic world like the Disc? BTW I don't want to know the answer to those questions - I'm quite happy with blue and the sun's too scary to start changing it around...

One of the best things about Terry's writing is that he doesn't 'chew your food for you' - he lets you feel like you're in on the joke and are more than capable of picking up your own nuances thank you so very much :). Fantasy writers are I think fairly reliant on this else they have to think every little detail through and then they'd have to spend more time telling us why the sun rises in the east and not enough on what's really interesting.

I'm also a big Tolkien fan and he's an interesting writer too, although he comes at it more academically, because he was a professional philologist and a mythology nut and so, if you enjoy his 'readable' novels (so The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, Farmer Giles of Ham etc) then reading his 'lore' works (Like the Silmarillion which a great book, but awfully dry and possibly a cure for insomnia in legible form) is hard going because those are written academically and do give the answers to the mysticism but in a very frustrating and inexact way because Tolkien was always changing his mind about why things were the way they were. For instance, originally it was going to be Bilbo who got to destroy the ring, and no Legolas in the Fellowship at all, but instead Glorfindel who was supposedly Gandalf's best Elf buddy...

And this is fascinating (to geeks like me anyway) but you have no idea of that when you read LotR or see the movies. Same thing, different method with Terry's work which relies more on humour or rather satire. So yeah - Carrot is of royal blood and, as Lucy says, destroys the evidence in Men at Arms because he likes being a cop and knows Vetinari is far better than he would be at ruling. I'd rather be treated as someone who's capable of reading more than is written than having everything neatly explained to me by some Hercule Poirot pedant or be shown 'who did it' right at the beginning and then have to suffer through baby steps as to 'why' and then 'how' they get caught... :rolleyes:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
You can't really compare JKR's books with Terry's anyway, as she's only written 7 & the man himself has written loads, so his ideas are bound to develop as the series continues. Who could have a plan written out for 30+ books right at the start?

Lucy

Jul 25, 2008
SW UK
Hi there,

Thanks for the welcome Silverstreak. Have come over from the Stamp Forum, so know some of you already - but I am glad to meet up with those who have not yet given in to the lure of the stamps!

As for being well read, it's just from re-re-re-reading the darn things :laugh:

There are several authors I like going back to, it's a comfort thing as I can drop back into the story I already know, and Mr P is one of them.

And every time I re-read one of Mr P's books there's something new, either because of what else I've been reading since the last time or what's happening in the world having resonances. There's always some new facet that opens up - and that's why I keep coming back.

regards,
Lucy

Dec 27, 2008
mspanners said:
CMOT Dibbler as far as I can recall got His Nick Name ( C M O T ) from Vimes when He was sent back through time and space in the book Night Watch
He's already called "Cut My Own Throat" in Guards! Guards!, which appeared 13 years before Night Watch.

Near the end of Guards! Guards! the monks up in the mountains send him a shipment of merchandise addressed to C.M.O.T. Dibbler.

Jarmara

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
www.brisinga.co.uk
Yes, but as MS says - in Nightwatch Vimes is sent back through time to an era before any of the previous books, certainly any of the Guards books. There is a suggestion that Dibbler gets the idea because Vimes says to him, not realising Dibbler hasnt' adopted the moniker yet.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
And 'Throat actually had a 'major' starring role in Moving Pictures (where he regressed to a previous life as a Movie Studio President of the Sam Goldwyn (as in Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) ilk) - so he had the name even before Guards! Guards! And I think he was 'bit parting' before Moving Pictures as well - so he's been about from almost the earliest days of Discworld! :laugh:

Like Jarmara says - in 'Nightwatch' Vimes is taken way back to when he was a lad and just starting in the Watch and Vetinari was still an Assassin undergraduate... ;)

*looks up* Hey that baby dragon's doing pretty well too Jarmara!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
666 said:
mspanners said:
CMOT Dibbler as far as I can recall got His Nick Name ( C M O T ) from Vimes when He was sent back through time and space in the book Night Watch
He's already called "Cut My Own Throat" in Guards! Guards!, which appeared 13 years before Night Watch.

Near the end of Guards! Guards! the monks up in the mountains send him a shipment of merchandise addressed to C.M.O.T. Dibbler.
:laugh: What they said! :laugh:

Although it seems that C.M.O.T are really his initials.

Welcome 666! ;)

Erik

Jan 2, 2009
Swindon, UK
www.brayblog.co.uk
I enjoy the anything can/will/and probably has happen(ed) aspect to Terry's writing I think he explains it himself very well in "the Wyrdest Link" quizbook, there's an introduction from Terry from page ix to x (right near the front, I'd assume it's the 9th page, but i haven't counted!)

Terry Pratchett - 'The Wyrdest Link' ~ 2002(ish) said:
... mindful of the fact that some throw away line in The Light Fantastic might prevent a wonderful plot from happening twenty books down the line (thank goodness for quantum interpretations of time).
So yeah while I too enjoyed the Harry Potter Series immensely, and did like the whole what's going to happen next thing (i guessed RAB in like a second, btw :) ) but i like the flux in the Discworld and actually enjoy them more.

-Erik

Sep 9, 2008
XXXX
Hi all

I have read through the posts and think I will add my two bits worth.

I think of Sir PTerry's (sorry can't help myself) writing as organic. He started writing the stories and as things went along certain characters and ideas grew and developed. He used them to create more stories. As life evolves so do the characters and books until they settle down and make themselves known. Many writers talk about how the character sounds to them and that at times the character is telling them what to write. I think the early books are Terry getting to know the characters which work which did not and needed to be removed.

So as the books progressed certain characters demanded to have their story told and so Terry wrote about them. I think to expect them to be fully formed characters and there to be a sequential aspect to the universe is way too much. I like them as vinegettes of life in the city. I have favourite characters who I like to read about. Any inconsistencies can be blamed on the Monks of Time.

Besides life with out inconsistencies is not worth living. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Hi DivingBudgie - and yes you're right. The earliest books - the first 4 in fact (I've been re-reading them all for the 1st time in ages) and maybe Mort too are markedly different to the later books.

For me there is an evolutionary path you can see unfolding in all those books as though the basic template for Discworld is being polished certainly if not fully 'flight-tested'. By the time you get to Mort the readership is expecting certain things in a Discworld book (the same applies to Harry Potter too in a way although his 'world' is more predictable in that he's at school and really all the main action certainly is based around Hogwarts - which is why Pterry is the better writer...) and THEN off we go with different perspectives on the many faces of Pterry's universe where we get the satire building and maturing in Pyramids, Wryd Sisters and Moving Pictures...

As Tony says Pterry work will still have resonance well into the future - like Chaucer, Shakespeare, Jane Austen and Dickens (of the latter I love Jane and hate Dickens but they're both brilliant authors) simply because the books themes are all based on human behaviour and concerns. My other top author Tolkien is the same but in a different way as he deliberately set out to create a 'mythology' and respun various legends and even created several 'new' languages, so came at it from a more academic angle (which shows the difference between an insightful 'streetwise' journalist and an Oxford professor. He too puts a lot effort into 'humanising' his characters in the 2 accessible novels which included a fair mix of humour and charm as well as all the angst and drama that people seem to pick up on more (I'm thinking here of Bilbo, Pippin, Merry and Sam, but even Gollum makes some mild jokes too).

Anyway as usual I'm wittering on - Terry's just amazingly perceptive which is why he's been able to write so many Discworld books because he's literally never going to run out of things to de-bunk and laugh at, that affect everyone on the planet - all his planets in fact... :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tolkien is a good example, because his characters are recognisable types of humans even if they are hobbits, elves or orks. The only thing missing from orks is lots of gold jewellery and hoodies. :laugh:

The hobbits in particular have a sort of English village feel with various different social classes so that they all know their own place. Froddo is like a young army officer with Sam as his batman.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Tonyblack said:
Tolkien is a good example, because his characters are recognisable types of humans even if they are hobbits, elves or orks. The only thing missing from orks is lots of gold jewellery and hoodies. :laugh:

The hobbits in particular have a sort of English village feel with various different social classes so that they all know their own place. Froddo is like a young army officer with Sam as his batman.
I was going to edit the quote so as not to get onto my soapbox but you bring up two really basic foundations of Tolkien fanforums that I've coloured up (this is going to be bad one - I think I can feel a lecture coming on here! :twisted: )

Yup - orcs are definitely into bling and even gothic camp :laugh: Done 'straight' of course they can't be because they'd just keep killing each other until there was only one - who'd then be v. lonely of course. Which is what happened whenever Sauron gets knocked off his perch, so presumably the last time this happened they all slid into internecine strife and presumably died out leaving us 6000 years later with just the psychotic violator mindset which is quite enough of a legacy :rolleyes:
Funny thing on both forums I belong to is that the Mordorian sectors are generally populated by crazy funny and very friendly kind people who just need to get their kicks being evil for a little bit and then go back to being nice people and wonderful friends. A lot of them tend to be quite devoutly religious oddly (or maybe not oddly at all?) although the minion boards do tend to attract those types who are into dark leather and boots... :twisted:

Hobbits - :laugh: yeah they're the English and deliberately pitched that way from the outset of the Prof's writing. The whole structure of Arda (Earth pre-civilisation in effect) was based on English values at the time the Hobbit and LotR were written. And though the famous books were not based in part on WW1 or 2, I think Tolkien's experiences when he fought in WW1 and then wrote to his son Christopher when he served in WW2 and sent him some of the early manuscripts for what became the Silmarillion and I think LotR, a 'siege mentality' did influence some of the philosophy that is never far from the surface.
So the Shire is the land of innocence and plenty, filled with a small people who love small pleasures but are like terriers when they are threatened (like small dogs are often scarier than big dogs I find as they have shock value - and more intelligent too in general) - so the 'Dunkirk spirit' is built in there for sure, as well as a resilience and inner toughness to keep going and try to keep things as 'normal' as possible.

And yeah - Sam and Frodo are exactly that with a kind of mutual respect and fraternal love too, which is of course how their dynamic worked especially at the end in Mordor when there was almost a father/son thing when Sam was forced to call the shots more.

All great writers all pick up on very real human traits no matter what, or whether they're writing general fiction, fantasy or sci-fi. With Discworld and our heros in there that is very evident and where Terry like Tolkien excels, is with displaying a real sympathy with his characters as none of them are absolutely or entirely stupid or evil or cowardly. His satire always stops just short of dispassionate cynicism and the humour is in general kind or at least just - like Mr Tulip's partner in crime coming back as a potato that ends up in a chip shop? :laugh: Sheer genius and it makes us laugh and feel happy too, which is the greatest gift any author can give to their adoring readership.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
So...

Basically you agree with my post? *phew* You had me worried there. :laugh:

I've only read the trilogy the once, earlier last year and enjoyed it. I was going to say more but then thought that we probably need a Tolkien thread rather than hijacking this one. :)

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
When I started reading this thread, I couldn't figure out how it related to the title, then I realized that I started on page 3--by which time the discussion had drifted somewhat off the original point/title of the thread, the Inconsistencies of Discworld Novels, at least as I envision the idea. By the way, though, it's a great pleasure to discuss books with people who are interested in reading and even feel passionately about authors & their works. (Even if that isn't what the original idea was, as far as I can tell.)

To borrow from Lucy, I thought it was time to jerk the thread back from a comparison of Pratchett to other authors, and talk about the question of inconsistencies in the Pratchett cannon.

There are (as one might expect) all sorts of minor inconsistencies, false starts, revisions of ideas, I think, in the novels. One of the things which has been interesting is that for 3 years (on the stamp forum) a rather small group of us have been reading and discussing the novels in the order written. I had read them all, but not at all in the order written. Nor had I read, as I have come to believe is absolutely necessary, most of his novels at least twice. There is simply so much in most (if not all) of his novels that I don't think it's possible to understand fully the ideas which form the framework of the story which he tells so entrancingly that it's only later one realizes what philosophical or political ideas are being suggested.

One type of inconsistencies come about, I think, because Terry wrote these 30 some books over a number of years, and either out of necessity (or simple forgetfulness) made some changes--some significant, others not. For example, Granny Weatherwax in Equal Rites bears only a vague resemblance to the Granny of Carpe Jugulum, let alone to the Granny in the Tiffany books. I think this happens, in part. because the whole idea of witches and wizards that Pratchett used in his first book proved not workable. That, I suspect is why we never see or hear a mention of Esk or Simon again. They are a dead end--as is that whole view of the nature and function of witches and wizards.

Tony & I disagree somewhat on this but I think the Feegles of Carpe Jugulum are not so much a different clan of Feegles as they are a rough approximation that Terry picked up and changed into useful characters -- not simply comic relief & plot facilitation as in CJ -- in the Tiffany books . There the Feegles (who are significantly different even in the first book) change and develop over the course of the current 3 novels.

And I suggest that as Terry began to develop more and more serious explorations of the human condition, the books and the characters change because he needs to do different things with them. I think that is one of the reasons that the novels at least since 5th Elephant have been markedly different than those which preceded them. Numerous characters continue on in most if not all of the novels--but they are being used in different ways to explore ideas which resonate with the modern round world.

I have to agree with Jan-- Terry is one of the great writers in the English language. I have heard him compared before to Chaucer, Dickens & Mark Twain. I would also suggest Jonathan Swift & Jane Austen and in a strange way William Shakespeare.

Pratchett creates a world that is so real for him (and the readers) that he can do a literary tour-de-force like Nightwatch which catapults Sam Vimes back 30 years and helps to explain some of the forces which have shaped his character and that of Vetinari, for example. And the ability to make a world that lives and breathes, as Pratchett does, is a rare talent shared by all the great authors. It also makes for a certain degree of frustration because over time, his ideas and uses of characters changes. The Carrot of Guards! Guards! is so different from the Carrot of Thud! that one wonders if they are really the same person.

I want to bring up one more point before this post gets totally out of hand. One of the points of genius Pratchett possess, I think, is his ability to write what is in fact biting, insightful satiric commentary on social conditions and human frailties in such a way that the reader isn't aware (at first) what the implications of a rollicking fun novel like Jingo (which I think is a more powerful anti-war novel than Slaughterhouse 5) are without the reader being immediately put off by the bite of the satire. And I think that Thud! is an incredible novel -- only apparently about the traditional war between Trolls & Dwarfs. But one does not have to stretch to see it's applications to wars of terror conducted in the name of religion, or to political battles in which truth is the ultimate casualty.

So, I don't think the inconsistencies in Pratchett's novels are generally important. (eg. when & how Dibbler got his name and what the initials really stand for) The changes in characters and the problems Pratchett attacks cause significant modifications of characters, but they are not inconsistencies.

(I appologize for the length of this post--but I had 3 pages of discussion to consider--and rather a lot to say.)

User Menu

Newsletter