Inconsistencies in Discworld books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

cols

Lance-Corporal
Nov 5, 2008
ireland
Hi swreader, I am currently reading the books in the order in which they were written ( currently not so patiently waiting for monsterous regiment) and to me any inconsistencies are slight. More so I find as I spend more time on the disc I see the characters grow.
sometimes characters notably change, but I see this akin to visiting an old friend you may not have seen in a while, who may have changed due to the normal effects of life experience.
so essentially, like us all, the characters' experiences are constantly reshaping them while retaining some fundamental aspects.
I also find the earlier books draw the reader in, then once fully familiar with your surroundings, we can begin to touch on some topical issues...such as war,religion etc..

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think it's more noticable when you've read the latest book and then you pick up one of the earlier ones - such as Hat Full of Sky and then read Equal Rites.

Much of it is due to character development. In ER it's quite possible that Granny was going to be secondary character and that was her only book. But you can't just dispose of such a strong character - especially when such a character is such an aid in investigating the very things you are writing about.

I really don't think we do agree about the Feegles, Sharlene. In the same way that Granny in ER was meant to be a minor character, so were the Feegles in CJ. The Feegles in the Tiffany books are a more polished draft of an earlier idea. They speak differently anf act somewhat differently - and we get to know quite a few individuals. But they are not the same clan. Terry had cleverly redrafted the idea and decided that Feegles live in clans all over the Disc. The Tiffany Feegles are easier to understand and therefore probably easier to write and they live near Tiffany - not near Nanny. :)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Here it is Chris

DivingBudgie said:
Hi all

I have read through the posts and think I will add my two bits worth.

I think of Sir PTerry's (sorry can't help myself) writing as organic. He started writing the stories and as things went along certain characters and ideas grew and developed. He used them to create more stories. As life evolves so do the characters and books until they settle down and make themselves known....
and then I went and developed the thought...! :twisted:

Jan Van Quirm said:
Hi DivingBudgie - and yes you're right. The earliest books - the first 4 in fact (I've been re-reading them all for the 1st time in ages) and maybe Mort too are markedly different to the later books.

For me there is an evolutionary path
you can see unfolding in all those books as though the basic template for Discworld is being polished certainly if not fully 'flight-tested'.
And I am going to start a Tolkien thread soonish, so all I'll say in here is that most serial fantasy writers like Sir Pterry and the Prof have this 'problem' where the world they create has to adapt and change - as things in real life do. Mostly the basics are generally constants as they're never going to change too much - certainly fundamentals like the Disc sun is very small and the light it spills is slow and 'gloopy', or the magic number is 8 (or with stock characters like Great A'tuin and maybe The Librarian too?).
The more complex characters like Rincewind, Granny, Vetinari (in spades with him) and even Carrot *yawns* have to 'grow' and change because their characters are so well drawn that they become real and each changing situation they face, like real humans changes them too. Which is why we love those characters so much of course because just as you think you've 'got' them, they do something really brilliant or surprising and make you go "wow!"

I bet they sometimes even make Pterry go "wow" too ! :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The whole of AM has changed since the early books - not just the characters. We have gone from what was basically a Medieval society, through Renaisance, Regency and now into Victorian and even Georgian styles.

Consequently we have a Watch running around dressed like 100 Years War men-at-arms, a Shakespearian theatre and 1950-70 style music and cinema.

The books are a melting pot of ideas and as it's fantasy, you can blame it all on the History Monks. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
For sure! I just love the concept of him slicing up time - and the sea-fill sites in the deep ocean for all the time-waste :laugh:

Maybe his character should be the template for the next Doctor - get rid of the damaging mental image of the Pertwee Doc doing 'martial arts'... :rolleyes:

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
Jan Van Quirm said:
The more complex characters like Rincewind, Granny, Vetinari (in spades with him) and even Carrot *yawns* have to 'grow' and change because their characters are so well drawn that they become real and each changing situation they face, like real humans changes them too. Which is why we love those characters so much of course because just as you think you've 'got' them, they do something really brilliant or surprising and make you go "wow!"

I bet they sometimes even make Pterry go "wow" too ! :laugh:
While I think basically we agree, Jan, and certainly about some fixed (though remarkably few) characteristic of the Discworld itself (location of countries, nature of the sun, etc.), I have a problem with your use of the term"evolution" in describing characters.

I know that many authors (including Pratchett) have seen their characters as almost real human beings--but they are, in fact, characters. And this means that they are tools of Pratchett used to create and develop ideas about the human condition, provide humorous relief, and sometimes as vehicles for philosophical speculation.

The problem I have with your comment quoted above is that is it suggests that the characters change in the same way and for the same reasons human being change -- from life experiences. But they are not human beings (and I'm including all the types of inhabitants of Discworld here). They are characters that Pratchett created and changes as needed in order to make the points he wants to call to our attention in a particular novel. Part of his genius, I think, is that he writes so well that we easily forget that they are not real beings.

It is his ability to create character and situations which not only entertain and amuse, but more important, also give us a deeper understanding of the human condition, point out the follies and stupidities of our world that makes Pratchett such a great writer. And, in my opinion, much as I love Tolkien (having read his books when they first appeared), Pratchett is the better, more adventurous or daring author of the two. Tolkien has created (in the four volumes) a truly marvellous epic of the basic struggle between good and evil. His works remain valid and powerful, even magnificent. But Tolkien did not attempt, in my opinion, the type of writing - of comic, social satire used to make us aware of the real nature of evil as it appears in our world--which makes Pratchett so remarkable.

There is evolution in Pratchett's writing--his style becomes more complex and his themes more topical. And he uses his characters in different ways to explore the different ideas he explores. But I would argue that it is Pratchett, not the characters, who evolves.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I see what you mean Sharlene. It's like Carrot in Guards! Guards! compared to Men At Arms. The change in the character is enormous. He's not the niave kid that he was in that first book. And it's not so much that he's grown up. It's because Terry needed him to react the way he does, so he's adapted him and changed him.

It's as you say - not evolution as we understand it of living things on our world, it's adaptation to fit a role that's needed for the story. :)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
swreader said:
While I think basically we agree, Jan, and certainly about some fixed (though remarkably few) characteristic of the Discworld itself (location of countries, nature of the sun, etc.), I have a problem with your use of the term"evolution" in describing characters.

I know that many authors (including Pratchett) have seen their characters as almost real human beings--but they are, in fact, characters. And this means that they are tools of Pratchett used to create and develop ideas about the human condition, provide humorous relief, and sometimes as vehicles for philosophical speculation.
I don't think we disagree at all in essentials Sharlene (if I may? :) ). Evolution is change or adaptation but on a grand scale (and in the real world mostly achingly slow although there are always exceptions especially where the 'higher' mammals are concerned). So that's just a question of definition I think? Of course in 'Literature' the author is creator and can do what they like - it's how they do this that counts I think.

The ones who are best at that strike more chords with their readership and the better the chords the bigger and more affectionate that readership becomes? I hate to mention JK Rowling in the same breath as Pterry and Tolkien, but she is obviously getting something very right indeed else she wouldn't have achieved the success she has. She just has different skills, not least in marketing her stories and her characters I think. They are appealing and broadly so and also in a way more easily accessible to more people (as in parents love to read the books to their kids which is something that happens with Tolks and Pterry of course but, I suspect, not as much). Rowling's main skill I think is that she's a great screenplay writer or perhaps a playwright - her dialogue charms and convinces - which is why her books in general mostly make it onto the big screen with few alterations (certainly the earlier films).

What she is NOT is in the same league as Pterry and Tolks for the simple reason that her world and writings are 'easy' - everyone's been to school - everyone wishes they could do magic etc etc. Any number of reasons, but in the end it comes back to one thing - she's easy to read because her concepts aren't too challenging and most people are able to grasp what she's giving them because her language is easily understood - even the Latinised spell words (and I admit I love what she does there and would literally kill for a pensieve some dark and tyrannical nights).

You can't say that for Tolkien or even for Pterry to some extent. Tolkien's from a different era altogether and he was always an academic of course (even in The Hobbit for although that is truly a child's book it does require some mental 'muscle-work' to take in). I compare him to Pterry and Rowling because they write in the same genre, but he has a very different tack to both of them because he lived in a completely different era where dignity and intellect were more important than being 'street-wise' and 'sassy' - he was born at the end of the 19th cent so of course he's very different to Pterry, just from a generation perspective, but also in terms of how he looked at the world. His worlds (and I mean the real one more than the imaginary to some extent) was grand and ordered and he had lived and even fought through terrible conflicts and the most appalling human misery - and we still had an Empire for the bulk of his life. He comes from another age in other words and he was a brilliant scholar who influenced other great and influential writers (CS Lewis of course, but some of the other Inklings were also pretty nifty authors and poets).

So he's 'old school' or 'old boy's network' in effect. Rowling has borrowed heavily from him and indeed from Pterry and other fantasy writers - but then Tolks romped through Mallory, Tennyson, Chaucer and Norse myth taking what he wanted and then twisting it. And so has Pterry of course - fantasy is out there and has been 'since the dawn of time' as my hero Gaspode would say. Pterry's genius touch is that he of course uses satire, but also psychology and often just plain common sense for his 'twist'. This is where he and the Prof are most different to Rowling.

They challenge their readers to THINK about what they're reading!

... not so markedly with Pterry as the humour is what shines out to most of his fans, but the concepts behind the humour are, as every person on this forum is aware of on some level, often very serious and deep and touches at the raw core of human experience... Tolkien's writing also does this but mostly in a sad and ponderous way although as I've said humour does come into it, but it's mostly very gentle and with Hobbits almost entirely kind and domestic - family values I suppose. Pterry pulls it off it better I think because I'm his contemporary and I love satire and adore Monty Python and The Fast Show and Frasier etc etc. He 'relates' to modern times where nothing is particularly sacred and everything is open to criticism - his message though is the same in essence because like Tolkien he has integrity at the core of his own unique style and this shows most in the characters he loves best and uses most to get his message through.

They are both then 'harder' to appreciate for a significant portion of people in this celebrity-obsessed and facile population where even 'reality' has to be spoon-fed to us on the TV and in 'popular' mags. Pterry and Tolkien are too subtle and too deep for a lot to people to bother with or if they can often can't grasp the real message. So yes - its Pterry who calls the shots with his characters and its him who puts them in those situations, but as a writer myself I know that sometimes he'll try several times to make their responses 'fit' how they, not him, would respond - and that's the the key or trick to the genius of a truly great author and their approach to characterisation.

To be fair Rowling does that too - but not as much and it's not as subtle either, which is why she may be far richer and more widely-read than Tolks and Pterry, but she isn't, and I think never will be 'accused of writing literature' :laugh:

:oops: I know this is long - but it's such an interesting debate :p

Tony - whilst this is still kind of on topic in what we're talking about here as to WHY there is (or aren't) too many constants (or why there's some inconsisitencies) in the Discworld universe, I'm happy if you think we ought to move the discussion over this particular avenue into another/new thread... :oops: I'm finding it really fascinating *durr!* and so I have far too much to say...

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
Jan-- you thrilled me when I saw your long post in reply to mine. It is so nice to find people who really want to talk about books. I was talking with Tony today about the possiblity of perhaps starting (at least as an experiment) a thread in the Children's Novels section discussing the Tiffany books- and whether they are children's books, what the functioin of the Feegles is (or are), and anything else we can think of.

Frankly, I don't think that the Tiffany Books -- or for that matter Maurice --are children's books, any more than the Harry Potters or even Lord of the Rings. But it might be fun to talk about the differences between these books and Pratchett's other children's books--whether significant or not.

And if you have any ideas for other threads or discussions, let me know--either PM me or Tony, or post about it. I'd love to get several discussions going, and I think that there are enough people on this board who have read most of the books, if not within the last month, at some point that a discussion could be interesting and would draw people in. What's your feeling? :)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
*hugs Sharlene*

If my old LotR Plaza friends could see me now! ROFLMAO
I was becoming rather conscious about getting into 'serious' debate on here as most of the posting is so laid back and... erm... concise! :oops: So when you replied at length with your summary a few days ago the relief was enormous! On the Tolkien forums I belong to (again because he was such a brilliant academic as well as a storyteller) they have masses of 'Lore' threads and my long posts on here in comparison are really titchy! And the debate - my gods it's lucky these people aren't in the same room else we'd need to have 'whodunnit' threads too! :laugh:

That's the other extreme where people get way too serious about what's ultimately 'only' fiction and so not gospel truth as it never happened. And again that's a huge compliment to the author, as people can and do get so passionate about their own creed and beliefs in what is still a rattling good yarn.

So yes for sure - like Pterry's books there's room for everything on here and a mix of serious and fun threads just makes the place so much more interesting to visit and get really down and 'geeky' :laugh:

I've just deleted yet another parag before this turns into yet another essay! :oops: I'll PM you and/or Tony about thread ideas soonish :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Shall we do book of the month, like on the other forum? We could read to the same timetable so those on both forums don't have to read two books.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Dotsie said:
Shall we do book of the month, like on the other forum? We could read to the same timetable so those on both forums don't have to read two books.
For those of you who don't know - I was/am running a Discworld discussion group. We have been reading a DW book a month (in order) and discussing it there. So far we've been at it for three years... :eek: But there's just Wintersmith to go of the actual books set on Discworld.

Jan 17, 2009
chichester
by the time history monks have been at the local time, plus the interferences of sourcerors, witches, anthromoporphic personages and other beings either living or dead.....

actually just be thankful everything didnt just end up in the dungeon dimensions.

ook

User Menu

Newsletter