Least favourite Discworld book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Grave Maurice said:
So far, and I don't mean I'm going to dislike any others, not that I disliked this one but liked it less than the others - Moving Pictures.
I kind of feel that way about MP. I used to love it, but now I find the plot a bit thin - it's too much 'spot the movie references' than actual story. o_O

Albert_Spangler

Lance-Constable
Feb 5, 2010
Unknown
My least favourite books are Pyramids and The Last Continent. Pyramids has a fantastic start and I had such high hopes for it and then once it left Ankh Morpork, I lost interest and struggled to finish it. I never really got into The Last Continent. It was the first DW book I ever tried to read at school and never made it past page 10. I came back to it a good few years later and struggled through to the end, but still didn't like it.

On a higher note, I am coming towards the end of Unseen Academicals and I am loving it. Does anyone else ever start to get close to the end of a really good book and kind of put off reading it because they don't want it to end?

I have just bought Pyramids from Amazon for a penny (wouldn't pay more than that) and am going to give it another go based on many of the people on this sites recommendations. Wish me luck!

I was like that with Equal Rites found it too hard - struggled through and I felt - was it worth it?

And the first time I read Theif of Time I could not get to grips with it either but I tried again a couple of years later and it just clicked. Now I rate it as top ten and would love there to be a follow-on!

I love Last Continent and am on my second re-reading of that. I love the Ecksians ... and the way the Wizards act around Mrs Whitlow is amazing and the jealousies that arise - all of them - aside from Ridcully acting like school geeks around the head cheerleader ... :laugh: And the God of Evolution is hysterical!

Albert_Spangler

Lance-Constable
Feb 5, 2010
Unknown
I think I might need to re-read The Last Continent as well as I don't remember anything you said about being in the book!

I can't understand why people do not like Monstrous Regiment, it is one of my favourites!

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I liked MR straight away, but have never liked Moving Pictures. And Soul Music I've only read once (because I don't like Susan especially, and the other mains aren't strong enough to carry the story). I really enjoyed Pyramids.

I love Going Postal and Making Money mystmoon and a best friend who lives just down the road from me adores Going Postal.

I am struggling through Sourcery I must admit. But I understand that it is the one that changes Universities stance on Dead Men's Boots ... so I will finish it.

But I won't even bother buying Monstrous Regiment.

And I found Maskerade a bit hard to like for a bit.

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
Lady Vetinari said:
Must be the only Moist fan on this forum that can't wait to find out what is in store for him ... I like the Moist stories because I prefer the romance in them ... At least they kiss - which is not what Carrot and Angua do ... all they do is talk ... BORING!
In Men at Arms Carrot and Angua do something other then just talk ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Sjoerd3000 said:
Lady Vetinari said:
Must be the only Moist fan on this forum that can't wait to find out what is in store for him ... I like the Moist stories because I prefer the romance in them ... At least they kiss - which is not what Carrot and Angua do ... all they do is talk ... BORING!
In Men at Arms Carrot and Angua do something other then just talk ;)
:laugh: That's what I was going to say! :laugh:

joemcf

Constable
Apr 12, 2010
Bothwell, Scotland
For me, the last continent was pretty poor, along with Eric. I don't mind Rincewind, in fact i love him in Interesting Times and Sourcery, But i found him as flat as the disc in these 2 books. :(

On another note, i love both Moist books. Both funny and giving insights into Vetinari. Also, i found the Epilogue in both of the Moist books very profound, and i had a sort of "realisation" moment, which i have with several Terry P books. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter