Least favourite Discworld book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Zebbo Mooty

Lance-Constable
May 8, 2010
The Afterlife...
I am fond of all the Discworld novels and actually find it hard to dislike any of them. They're all unique in some way or another. I suppose "Eric" was the weakest out of them all but saying that it's not actually a bad book.

I think THUD! was a hard one to follow but again it had it's fair share of magical moments too.

So, I am going to claim THUD! as my dud. Umm.

Zebbo Mooty (Retired 3rd Class Thief)

Hm, I thought that Thud! was a bit off, too. I think it was the bit where they're like "Let's all get together and play board games!" part that seemed too in-your-face. But I thought the "Where's my cow?" bit was very very cute - Vimes is a nice dad who'll read books to a 14 month old who won't remember it at all (well, mostly) when he grows up.

I did not like Color of Magic as much as the other books.
It was the way that once you were getting into the story, it jerked you into a whole different direction. I was getting comfortable with the octopus temple, and suddenly there was that thing with the imaginary dragons.

michelanCello said:
BatrickPatrick said:
Eric or Moving Pictures.

I liked Going Postal the first time around but I haven't been able to re-read it.
I didn't really like the plot of Moving Pictures, although the style and Terry Pratchett-isms were absolutely great! ;)
Yeah, I didn't hate it, but I don't think I'll read it again, that's all.

Lewis Tze

Jun 28, 2010
West Sussex, UK
I was a little bit disappointed with Monstrous Regiment, after finishing the MASTERPIECE that was Night Watch.

And although it was a few years ago, I recall struggling with The Last Continent both times I read it. I like the University stuff - but it felt like the Rincewind bits kind of dragged, and I still can't fully get my head around the ending!

fords

Constable
Jun 23, 2010
East Lothian, Scotland
Moist is definitely the best 'new' character; I do love a bad boy and like joemcf I love his little insights into Vetinari's mind. Going Postal was a breath of fresh air when it came out and although Making Money does drag in places (I wasn't overly keen on the guys in the basement and that stupid machine), it's still a pretty good read.

Eric is boring as hell though and is my least favourite Discworld book.

Lewis Tze

Jun 28, 2010
West Sussex, UK
Tonyblack said:
Welcome, Lewis Tze! :laugh:

I hope you give Monstrous Regiment another go - it's really a book that requires more than one reading. ;)
I am sure I will, and its not that I disliked it, I finished it in a few days which is a testament to my enjoyment of it, it just felt a bit...uneventful. A character had to be created to fulfill the theme of women in the army, making Pollys' an arc applicable to just the one book, in turn not adding much to the mythology. I admit at having to reach a bit to find complaints, and again, I did actually like it, just not as much as others. (The "abominations unto Nuggan" were hilarious") :laugh:

Jun 29, 2010
Bolton
least favourite discworld novel

I know that this probably won't be popular but.......... I don't like Rincewind :(
I struggle to get through any of the books with him as the main character, for that reason I have to say that my least favourite discworld books are... The colour of magic, The light fantastic and The Last Continent.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Re: least favourite discworld novel

Sarah Sto Helit said:
I know that this probably won't be popular but.......... I don't like Rincewind :(
I struggle to get through any of the books with him as the main character, for that reason I have to say that my least favourite discworld books are... The colour of magic, The light fantastic and The Last Continent.
:laugh: You are not alone. Still, Rincewind is not too bad in Interesting Times.

Welcome to the site, Sarah Sto Helit! :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
You're not alone in not liking him Sarah - but you're right about people disputing that with you. I like him a lot because he's very often the only sane person around and I'm also in awe of his running ability :laugh:

Some of the books he's been in aren't too wonderful, but that's largely because they're the earlier books and Terry hadn't quite got his style in good order, so CoM and LF aren't the best written, but when they first came out there was nothing like them in SF&F and those of us around at the time just remember the joy of finding a crap wizard trying to keep a very naive Twoflower out of trouble - after ODing on Conan and even Tolkien, it was nice to read a book where the bad guys were as successful and 'realised' as the heroes and didn't always get a smooth ride. And they just got better and better, so I have a lot of nostalgic and sentimental regard for the Prof of Cruel and Unusual Geography.

Don't know if you've ever tried to read the 3 Science of the Discworld novels but he's hilarious in those and shows Ponder and Ridcully a thing or two about the wisdom of being a coward! :eek: :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter