Least favourite Discworld book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Teppic

Lance-Corporal
Jan 29, 2011
Outskirts of Londinium
Hmmm....just searched through this thread and since nobody else has nominated what I consider the most frustrating DW book for me so far, I feel like I might put a few noses out of joint when I say I didn't much like Reaper Man.

Snowglobes hatching into shopping trolleys and a giant mall appearing in the middle of Ankh Morpork? Really? :eek: I love Pratchett's satire otherwise I wouldn't be here but this seemed to be just plain wrong and it actually wasn't funny. The Windle Poons storyline started off so promisingly too, and I loved the scene with the Wizards trying to make him die with no success. But it petered out very badly.

If it were just a bad book about sentient shopping trolleys I wouldn't have been half as annoyed with it as I was though. The thing is, this bad idea punctuates and interrupts the quite brilliant tale of Death and Mrs Flitworth. It feels like someone's sewn the pages of a pretty terrible kid's story into a touching, well-crafted novel, it really does. And the touching, well-crafted novel - the one I cared about - is damaged because of this.

I think I needed to get that off my chest. It really is, so far, the only DW novel I've not liked. :( That's pretty good going really, considering I'm halfway through the series. :)

Portia

Lance-Constable
Jan 19, 2011
Australia
I was really surprised to read that a lot of you didn't care for Lords and Ladies. I thought Pratchett's conception of elves was really interesting... how their glamour is a weapon against human self-esteem. And the scenes featuring Granny and Ridcully together are priceless IMHO.

My least favourite Discworld book is definitely Small Gods. I know it has a cult following but I just can't get excited about it...

rockershovel

Lance-Corporal
Feb 8, 2011
least favourite?

Carpe Jugulum which I read once, and haven't been back to. I didn't spot the piece about it being a repeat of Lords and Ladies, but I can see the point.

Thief of Time, which I really couldn't get into. Another once-only book. The History Monks really aren't a good enough joke for a whole book

Lost Continent, another once-only which seemed particularly disjointed.

I Shall Wear Midnight, which appears to have a dose of Niven-itis ( trying to hard to join up things which were originally quite unconnected ) and the Feegles/ Wee Mad Arthur joke is overdone.

Another vote for Reaper Man, where the Windle Poons/ shopping trolley subplot seemed to have no connection with the much better "Death and Miss Flitworth" plot. Death, Miss Flitworth and the Crowned Death is really a good enough plot to stand alone.

I'm not a great fan of the Tiffany Aching books, although the rescue from fairyland is good - the elves are always worth an appearance for me.

I read the "nomes" books when I was younger and liked them at the time, so enough said. Nation doesn't work at all for me. I've never read Dark Side of the Sun etc and I doubt they would work for me at this stage.

Personally, I like Pyramids, it's several good jokes rolled into one, especially the sub-plot about the innumerable contradictory gods, and the quite ingenious time-paradox sub-plots involving Dios, the building contractor and the indefinitely-undying kings in their pyramids.

Maskerade is another favourite, again not really a Discworld book in some ways but very funny.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
It would have to be one of the witch ones.
Probably carpe jugulum as well.
Not that i dislike it and i have read it several times.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Portia said:
I was really surprised to read that a lot of you didn't care for Lords and Ladies. I thought Pratchett's conception of elves was really interesting... how their glamour is a weapon against human self-esteem. And the scenes featuring Granny and Ridcully together are priceless IMHO.

My least favourite Discworld book is definitely Small Gods. I know it has a cult following but I just can't get excited about it...
Loads of us LOVE Lords and Ladies... I do... one of my favourites.... I agree with everthing you say Portia... but I think they are just discussing what they DONT like here.....

Did I mention Pyramids?

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
deldaisy said:
Portia said:

Loads of us LOVE Lords and Ladies... I do... one of my favourites.... I agree with everthing you say Portia... but I think they are just discussing what they DONT like here.....

Did I mention Pyramids?
see i didn't even think of Pyramids cos i don't count it at all.
:laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter