SPOILERS Lets Cast - 'Guards! Guards!'

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Draywoman

Lance-Constable
Jan 23, 2010
Forest of Dean
From the moment I read his introduction in Moving Pictures I must admit that I assumed TP had based Ridcully on Brian Blessed, just remembering him as the king in Blackadder 1.

Going back to the thread, I haven't looked through all the posts but I think Philip Jackson is Vimes with maybe Pam Ferris as Sybil. I listened to the BBC radio 7 run last week and loved Melvin Hayes as Nobby, I even reckon he looks(ed) the part, although I haven't seen him recently. How about Mel Smith as Colon? and Michael Sheen as Vetinari?

BTW - still on the R7 play - DEATH was played by DEATH. The voice was fantastic, who was it? Anyone?

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Moderately on topic for the moment, I saw the stage production of Guards! Guards! at the Theatre Royal, Brighton. Paul Darrow (of Blake's 7 fame playing Avon - for us Brits old enough to remember) played the part of Vimes and his acting was about as wooden as the scenery :cry: My friend, who had never heard of Terry pratchett, loved it tho. :)

Anyway, fully back on topic, I too was thinking of Mel Smith as Colon and possibly Andy Serkis as Nobby (playing the role of non-humans so excellently should make the job of playing Nobby merely challenging rather than impossible). For Vetinari I reckon Patrick Stewart could make a great patrician with Ian McKellen as Lupine Wonse (or possibly the other way around, I just think Ian McKellen makes a good baddy o_O ). For Vimes I was thinking of Dennis Waterman but I have to agree with Draywoman instead and opt for Philip Jackson and Pam Ferris. :) As for Death, CGI is the only way to go with Christopher Lee's voiceover.

Looking back on my ramblings, it looks a bit like "What the cast of LotR did next". :) I still can't figure out who I'd like to play Carrot or CMOT Dibbler tho. o_O

Draywoman

Lance-Constable
Jan 23, 2010
Forest of Dean
Ah, I remember lusting after Avon when I were a lass... :oops:

Maybe Phil Daniels as Throat or Joe Pesci (nah, on second thoughts, I'll stick to Phil Daniels)

I am flummoxed by Carrot. Probably ought to pay more attention to all these High-School/Teen/902157630 things but I can't be (ahem) bothered...

Perhaps Melvyn Hayes for Gaspode, then (MAA)? The voice would cut it and the appearance doesn't matter with CGI.

Ronald Lacey (Gestapo guy from Indiana Jones #1) would make a brilliant Wonse; just the right amount of greasy humility and megalomania. Or is he dead now? (Senility is getting to me) :rolleyes:

Zee Zee

Jan 25, 2010
Walsall
Guards Guards

Thanks for all the welcomes, Think Brian Blessed for Ridcully is inspired,
Martin Sheen for Vimes not bad at all. A thought for Vimes if you wanted it to have an American interest would be Richard Dean Anderson(mind you he may be Canadian again)

Aug 8, 2010
Dover, Kent
Hi all, newbie here.....

I have always wondered about potential castings for TP film adaps and Philip Jackson looks the part for Vimes.....

I must admit to being a tad disappointed with some of the previous castings for Nobby, JI as Vetinari and Angua. The so far portrayals of Ridcully are a bit off too, Brian Blessed would get my vote just on booming voice alone.....I can just see The Bursar now cowering against it !! :laugh:

Aug 8, 2010
Dover, Kent
Many thanks for your kind welcomes all.......

As an avid TP fan, it has never occured to me to join a forum about it, I have many opinions on his books and films, but, unfortunately I don't know anybody who is also a fan to chew the fat with....I look forwartd to spending some time on here !! :laugh:

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
definitely agree with brian blessed as ridcully !!!

Still reckon hugh laurie would suit vimes !!!
Alan rickman as vetinari though christopher lee suits aswell!!
at a push damian lewis for carrot ? hes a nice looking guy !!!
mel would suit colon as previously suggested !!
nicholas tennant should remain in the role but andy serkis certainly would be ideal !!!

User Menu

Newsletter