Living With Alzheimer's BBC2 Documentary

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Aries

Lance-Constable
Sep 7, 2008
Birmingham
Yeah i saw it clearly Mr Damian Thompson dosen't understand what it means to be i fan of something, saddos indeed! I thought it was a very brave thing for Terry to show us what he's going through and i'm looking forward to part two.

PhysioGirl

Feb 5, 2009
Essex
Hi everyone I'm new here!!
I fell in love with Terry after reading the Hogfather on a train about 12 years ago. Last night's documentary brought a tear to my eye for more than one reason; my own dear Dad was diagnosed with this disease 4 years ago (aged 51) and it was like looking back at my Dad when he was starting this journey......... losing letters and words, not managing things like ties, but still having a reasonable memory. I miss my Dad terribly, I think Terry is doing an excellent and brave thing making his journey in public. Who cares about reviews in newspapers, we know he's doing a good thing (haven't seen the reviews myself).

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Aries said:
Yeah i saw it clearly Mr Damian Thompson dosen't understand what it means to be i fan of something, saddos indeed! I thought it was a very brave thing for Terry to show us what he's going through and i'm looking forward to part two.
Hey Aries - great to see you posting here again. :laugh:

Well said PhysioGirl! And welcome to the site. :)

headgehog

Feb 6, 2009
Lancaster/Manchester
Hi, I'm new to the forum, its headge, or claire or whatever comes to your prefrontal cortex. I will prattle on as I want to get this off my chest.

I agree that the telegraph is being close-minded, if the writer thinks that liking books that can make you feel so happy is wrong; then I'm not surprised his writing is so abismal and moody.

I'm a physicist, and so far as I can figure out, alzimers is hereditary, my nanna and great-nanna had it and it destroyed them and thurned them both into vegetables, though theirs was centred around memory and how to do tasks, like boiling an egg, eating, who my parents were, and eventually, who I was. My mum is showing the signs, she knows it and works in a doctors; for the minute she is ignoring the fact. Nothing seemed to stop it, and at the time there was no hope, it was already way too advanced, as it only became noticed when my grandad died.
I have dyslexia by the way, so spellig may be iffy.

I feel that if there is a breakthrough, then everyone should be tested. I worked in a chemist for over 4 years, and I found out that you have a two week window in which to start aricept. Before that and you're not classed as serious enough for it to be cost effective (roughly £30 a box), and after that, you were too far gone for it to be of help. I was ashamed of the NHS when I found out that one of our patients I was close to, was being destroyed by her husbands anger at his forgetfulness and unhesitating belief that everything was her fault. He had just missed the two week window. Her only hope was that he would turn into a vegetable sooner rather than later, as he was telling the family and friends things like she was trying to kill him, because he'd forgotten he'd already taken his tablets.

I wish that peple could be saved from this grief, because it's not just the loved ones, but seeing the terror in their eyes when they realise they don't know who their daughter, son, husband, or any relation is, is excrutiating. They are alone, and don't know what to do. The only relief is when they don't know how to think anymore, and the body shuts down. My nanna had once last instance of coherance before she died, she spoke to my dad, who she had not recognised for nearly a year, then as he went out of the room, she let go.

As Terrys friends said on the program, one day, the three of them will go out somewhere, then later the two of them will go to the pub, it may save him from the terror. I want to hug Terry and tell him it'll be better, many more books will be written before that inevitable fate happpens, with at least 15 years more of happiness. I heard something coming through the pipeline just before I left the chemist. A new drug, avaliable to anyone proven positive at any stage; only problem is, it may be too late. The 5years it takes to legalise it may be too long.

I say keep on writing, take joy in everything, have passion with a fire in your beliefs, get many cuddles; as it has been proven to make you happier than almost anything else, and have a good soft boiled 'chuckie' egg with soldiers, because that many nutrients can't be wrong, especially when cooked by your favourite nanna.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Thank you for sharing that Claire. It is indeed a frighteningly awful condition. I think that fear you talk about was evident during the programme. There was also anger and determination there - but what was also still there was Terry Pratchett. Let's hope that he stays there.

Welcome to the site. :)

rissoles

Lance-Constable
Feb 4, 2009
www.raikothan.com
An observation

The type of "it" affecting Terry relates to optical functionality. I noticed that the comment was made that he was once an able touch typist but that "it" had robbed him of that ability.

The thing about touch typing is that it does not require visual confirmation... I say this because I know it from my own experience, I also had a friend that was afflicted by severe cataracts and he was, until his operation, unable to clearly see his monitor.

We tried an experiment that lasted a week, and resulted in us both realising that it was possible to watch a crap movie and still type reasonably coherently.

Perhaps not watching what you are doing might be the answer.

Just a thought

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
rissoles said:
An observation

The type of "it" affecting Terry relates to optical functionality. I noticed that the comment was made that he was once an able touch typist but that "it" had robbed him of that ability.

The thing about touch typing is that it does not require visual confirmation... I say this because I know it from my own experience, I also had a friend that was afflicted by severe cataracts and he was, until his operation, unable to clearly see his monitor.

We tried an experiment that lasted a week, and resulted in us both realising that it was possible to watch a crap movie and still type reasonably coherently.

Perhaps not watching what you are doing might be the answer.

Just a thought
There was that guy with more advanced Alzheimer's who said much the same. The way he does up his tie is by not thinking about it. These sorts of things are almost second nature to us and it's often not until we try to analyse what we are doing that it gets tricky. Like trying to explain to someone who has never driven before what actions you do when you change gear. It's second nature and we do it without thinking.

jwbenn78

Feb 5, 2009
Thank you Terry

Have just watched part one of Terry's Living with Alzheimers documentary- was very touched.
I am a 30yr old hopeful writer and sent Terry a letter around 15yrs ago asking how to be a successful author and if we would ever hear of Rincewind again? (before Interesting Times was published!).
I received a very nice reply telling me that there was no set formula to writing, and that you 'just have to work at it every day', words that I pass on to my children as much as possible.
So thanks again Terry for those inspiring words and best wishes for the future.

Feb 6, 2009
caerphilly south wales
Ogg said:
Literally just finished watching part one of this moving documentary. I'm sure I could raise many opinions but for now I'm still very much moved by Sir Terry's reading of Nation at the DW convention...I'm not afraid to admit that my emotions got the best of me. Thought provoking television at it's finest.

ps: I couldn't find another thread about this so apologies if I've missed one.
I also have just wached the documentary. There is only one thing i can say and that is what a stand up guy never let it get him down and to go and do a public reading (tear jurker) all the best Sir Terry. By the way i have never had the Pleasure of reading any of his book but i am going to start at the begining and read them all. Can wait to get back to you and tell you what i think

Feb 6, 2009
caerphilly south wales
Nice to meet you tonyblack.Your a local im from caerphilly what a small world lol.Have you got any sugestions where to start.I just realized i have read some of his books trucker, digger and planes dam good read if i do say so myself :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
rustynutz457 said:
Nice to meet you tonyblack.Your a local im from caerphilly what a small world lol.Have you got any sugestions where to start.I just realized i have read some of his books trucker, digger and planes dam good read if i do say so myself :laugh:
Ah yes, just up the road from me. :laugh:

I'd suggest you start with Guards! Guards! the first of the City Watch books and go on to Men At Arms. They will give you a good feel for the books and you'll get to know the city of Ankh-Morpork at the same time.

Vicky

Feb 7, 2009
The documentary on BBC2

:eek: I've just finished watching the documentary on BBC2. My God! How inspirational? I've been a lover of Discworld books for many many years. I often fall asleep with the echoes of a discworld novel ringing around my imagination. I couldn't imagine my life without my dose of Pratchett to keep me company. I am passing that wisdom onto my son. We think he has a mild form of dyslexia, so he's enjoying audio books. He's presently hooked on Wintersmith and is eager for more. If Terry can pass through the generations his wonder of the written word, then that would be a gift in itself. But if he can pass on more knowledge about Alzeimers, then many thousands would be eternally grateful I know it! I applaud and admire his contributions to this mystifying condition. God bless you Terry. We're all right there beside and behind you!!! ;)

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
welcome to the site vicky :laugh:
give him the carpet people to read he will enjoy that. my parents spent years getting me through dyslexia now im either on here or reading(and watching the rugby) :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter