Living With Alzheimer's BBC2 Documentary

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

silverstreak

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
Llanelli,Wales
Yeah Tony saw it via your link.Something tells me that this reveiwer doesn't get Terry at all.Derogatory remarks aimed at fans and Terry
himself shows that he has no idea at all.Personality cult indeed!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
silverstreak said:
Unfortunatly tony,the video only plays for a couple of seconds and then
freezes.Of course this might just mean I cannot work this damned clacks
machine thingy properly.
Not sure about this, but you might have to download the BBC iPlayer. Try looking here. It does mean that you'll be able to watch a whole bunch of BBC programmes if you miss them though. ;)

Ogg

Lance-Corporal
Jan 23, 2009
Cornwall, UK
Well...a new hat :) , a dodgy american doctor and the brain scan at the end revealing the truth, so sad, makes one feel so helpless. Respect Sir Terry for sharing this with us.

She

Feb 11, 2009
Slough
BBC show

Just watched the 2nd Part of the show on Old Timers disease. Having watched my grandfather disappear due to the disease I wanted to express my congratulations to Terry on his achievement of creating new publicity and demonstrating such courage and determination in the face of uncertainty.

If it's any consolation, my grandfather always seemed happy in himself and unaware that he couldn't remember things any more.

My thoughts are with him and his family and I hope for a very very slow progression of the disease!

All the best Terry.

x

silverstreak

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
Llanelli,Wales
You've got to admire the courage of Pterry showing everyone the journey
he's going through.There was for a split second a moment when Beccy
Stephenson,I think her name was,said that when she heard Terry had
the disease she was glad.Then she carried on to say that it would give
it a higher profile.She was right,and I hope that the optomistic note from
Edinborough at the end of the programme proves to be an answer.
More power to your elbow Sir Terry!

Dec 31, 2008
Let us not forget Rob, Terry's PA, who must be having a really stressful time!

He has an unimaginably hard task to keep positive himself, and we send all our good wishes to him as well.

Rich Gibb

Feb 11, 2009
It's probably not that simple but.......

Dear Terry,

I have just watched your documentary about Alzheimer's disease. I thought it was a very honest and frank look at the condition and I hope that it does a great deal towards raising awareness and ultimately finding a cure. I wish you all the very best.

I was reflecting on the show when I had a thought. As I state in the title, it's probably not that simple (occasionally we miss the most obvious when looking for the complex) but:

I was thinking about the part of the documentary when you had a brain scan. You were shown that the blood flow in parts of your brain were not as good as they should be. You were told that the blood flow starts to decrease in areas as the brain function decreases. I then wondered if it was possible that the 'cause and effect' might be the other way round. Perhaps the brain function decreases as the blood flow reduces. I then thought about the treatment that the Admiral had - not the drug itself, but the method of delivery. Could it be that turning the Admiral head down provided extra pressure in the arteries in his brain and that the extra blood flow could have improved his condition?
I realise that there's much more to the condition - but could it help to do a headstand every now and then?

Kind regards, and very best wishes,

Richard Gibb

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
The second part was excellent too. It's a very well directed & produced documentary. It is also very informative. Good for Pterry to go through it & to the others who are taking part, patients, relatives & medical staff.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Who's Wee Dug said:
Tonyblack said:
Does anyone know if this will be available to see on the Internet?
I have tried to send the link to a friend in Germany from the BBC iPlayer site wait to see what happens if she can access it.
I managed to watch the first part on BBC iPlayer, but I understand that it's only available to people in the UK> :(

hauxter

Feb 12, 2009
Living with...

Moved to tears, especially at the filming of his reading at the convention.

I've been a fan of TP since discovering his work 12 years ago. I'm the proud owner of all of the Discworld novels, and most of his other work too. I've never once been disappointed by anything he has written and he will always rate as one of my favourite authors.

I've never been one to join discussion groups, attend conventions or book signings - I've been quite content to just enjoy the books whenever they're released - but after learning of Terry's disease and especially since watching that documentary I felt moved to say a little something...

I'd like to extend to Terry my thanks for taking me on some incredible journey's over the last dozen years, each and every Discworld novel holds a very dear place in my heart. I've obviously read and re-read each and every one and have found great pleasure in introducing new people to the Discworld... I usually insist on them reading The Colour of Magic first, as is appropriate!

Thankyou for the many, many hours of entertainment you have provided Sir Terry, if I prayed you would be remembered in them!

Tony Hauxwell
(Favourite characters, Rincewind (obviously) and Death)

User Menu

Newsletter