Merry Xmas Everybody - the schmaltzy Xmas video thread

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Nice one Jan :laugh:

However, you haven't got the right words to the Pogues song. :twisted:

(Just being pedantic, but why did Santa go to the US first? It wouldn't even be dark in the US! I mean, he went to Oz and China AFTER the US, then France and the UK. As the time difference is nigh on 17 hours between the US and Oz, surely he should have gone to the US last, shouldn't he?)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Sorry? Which words are you referring to there? :rolleyes: The poohgues ones? (Link for those who may not have been around when this little spat was going on :twisted: )

Actually if you look you'll see Santa starts off from where he ends but you have to also know the artist is a Dev'n girl (the chocolate lab at the end is supposed to be her dog Chudleigh).

Her biggest market is in the US so that's the first stop and after all Santa should really follow the sun - even though that means he ought to go everywhere else first. This is just pure fiscal acknowledgement of the fact that our friends in the US, despite having their great nation (eventually :twisted: ) finally prove just how round the world really is, these days they refuse to believe in any other country having an authentic reason to go ahead of them and anyway languish under an unfortunate inability to recognise the location of the International Dateline (also Iraq etc :rolleyes: ). So, being a crafty artist she's invoked artistic licence and made the sun rise over the Atlantic and not the Pacific. 8)

Only kidding American members - of course it's really 'cos he's Santa and therefore magic (and has more pressies to deliver over there too) *blows kiss westwards* :laugh:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
He has more prezzies to deliver in the US than China? :eek:
Surely China has approx 5 times the population of the US? :eek:
Is it because you only get a prezzie from Santa if you're Christian? :eek:

And Jan, you've just been far more offensive about the US than I ever will be in the Pyramids discussion. :laugh: :laugh: :twisted:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
poohcarrot said:
He has more prezzies to deliver in the US than China? :eek:
Surely China has approx 5 times the population of the US? :eek:
Is it because you only get a prezzie from Santa if you're Christian? :eek:

And Jan, you've just been far more offensive about the US than I ever will be in the Pyramids discussion. :laugh: :laugh: :twisted:
Just trying to draw some seasonal fire away from you ole chap. Season of goodwill cetra, cetra. :twisted:

Actually with the Chinese I was thinking more of Communist disapproval of present giving (as opposed to sharing with those who are more equal than others, but there you go...) :laugh: . I do try not to think about religion too much this time of year - Xmas is about eating and drinking yourself stupid and getting crap pressies isn't it? :eek: :twisted:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
I'm glad that we are still disagreeing. At least their is some normality in a world gone crazy (with 1,000 elephants! :laugh: )

Anyway, I always get good prezzies. :laugh:

And I do tend to think about religion at this time of year because theoretically, that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
poohcarrot said:
I'm glad that we are still disagreeing.
*Gets a warm cosy glow*

Luverly! :laugh:
pooh again said:
And I do tend to think about religion at this time of year because theoretically, that's what it's all about, isn't it?
No it isn't! He was born 7 years earlier and in September wasn't he(probably)? 8)

Useless book the Bible - all miracle and metaphor and no hard core facts. What the hell are you supposed to make of it?*mutters and dodges lightning bolt* :x

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
See! :laugh: Nobody knows when he was born - PLUS not to let people know when your birthday falls isn't too sensible a practice if you're being brought up a Hebrew is it?

The Roman Orthodox Church were buggers for letting go of damned good ideas and religiously :p kept to the former Imperial practice of latching their own pantheon on the handiest local equivalent deities out in the vast colonial regions. Only having the one god was a leetle bit of a problem granted, but then all they had to do in that case was home in on the big fire festivals that most cultures have for periods when they need to stay in and keep warm (in the northerly European areas anyway) and Holy Joe's yer Uncle etc. Yule/Winter Solstice becomes Xmas (X for whoever this other chap was), Samhain/Day of the Dead/Death of the Sun handily becomes All Souls or All Hallows Eve with All Saints the next day :rolleyes: Easter - come on down Eostre/Mithras/insert local deity of choice here, you're just in time for Beltane and Spring festivals - not forgetting lambing time too! :laugh:

Clever chappies the Romans - they should never have junked the Latin Mass though, it was so much more fun when you didn't know what on earth you were saying and singing about... :laugh:

Let's go trad cosy for a bit... :twisted:

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
poohcarrot said:
I'm glad that we are still disagreeing. At least their is some normality in a world gone crazy (with 1,000 elephants! :laugh: )
their??? ;)

It doesn't matter when Father Christmas came into being, it only matters that he exists ...

Jan, I really like jacqui lawson e-cards. I can't believe that the annual fee is so cheap, when you consider that you can send as many cards as you want!

Jan Van Quirm said:
The Roman Orthodox Church were buggers for letting go of damned good ideas and religiously kept to the former Imperial practice of latching their own pantheon on the handiest local equivalent deities out in the vast colonial regions. Only having the one god was a leetle bit of a problem granted, but then all they had to do in that case was home in on the big fire festivals that most cultures have for periods when they need to stay in and keep warm (in the northerly European areas anyway) and Holy Joe's yer Uncle etc. Yule/Winter Solstice becomes Xmas (X for whoever this other chap was), Samhain/Day of the Dead/Death of the Sun handily becomes All Souls or All Hallows Eve with All Saints the next day Easter - come on down Eostre/Mithras/insert local deity of choice here, you're just in time for Beltane and Spring festivals - not forgetting lambing time too!

Clever chappies the Romans - they should never have junked the Latin Mass though, it was so much more fun when you didn't know what on earth you were saying and singing about...
I thought the Christmas tradition of giving gifts of fruit and nuts came about because the local grocer "No Where Cheaper" had an abundance of produce and sold it at cost to the locals?? :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Batty said:
It doesn't matter when Father Christmas came into being, it only matters that he exists ...

Jan, I really like jacqui lawson e-cards. I can't believe that the annual fee is so cheap, when you consider that you can send as many cards as you want!
Of course Santa exists :laugh:

Jaqui's got a CafePress shop now as well I think, some T-shirt print affair anyway. The ecards are great for those last minute OMG I forgot someone moments (and they're so nice people don't automatically suss you're panicking ;) )

'Nother 'classic one :laugh: Just when you think Sinead O'Connor's a stroppy mare who shouldn't be allowed to open her mouth except to sing Nothing compares 2 U... :rolleyes: :laugh:

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
poohcarrot said:
What a brill story from today's Beeb.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8423340.stm

I love this song and I reckon it makes a fitting Xmas UK number one for 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuOAY-S6OY

WARNING! OFFENSIVE LYRICS!]

Just watched the video posted by Pooh.

The Christmas number one spot used to be a highly sort after prize. In my opinion the 2009 battle has put an end to the credibility of that prize.

Faced with a talentless X Factor here one day gone the next contestant who has no idea of what it’s like to go out on the road and serve your apprenticeship before EARNING a record contract and the miserable rabble who by default are this year’s Christmas number one it makes me feel like getting my Cliff Richard records out.

Another very sad day for the ‘’music’’ industry.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
("their" :oops: :oops: :oops:)

A sad day for the music industry? My bottom! It's the best thing that could have happened, ever!

Instead of being told what to listen to by record companies bribing djs and manufacturing bands, for once the power is with the people.

It's also wonderfully ironic that the band is called Rage Against The Machine.

It's a classic 1990s disenchanted youth song that is probably more relevent today than when it first came out.

"You do what they tell you"
"Coz you're under control"
"F**k you I won't do what you tell me!"
"F**k you I won't do what you tell me!"

I love this song!

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
I agree with Morty!

The truth is that everyone who was encouraged (and complied) to vote for RATM was actually caught up in a massive manipulation by two people who thought it would be 'fun' to alter the outcome of an odds-on winner.

I don't think any song - whether sung by RATM, Robbie Williams or anyone else, that thinks it's OK to use foul language should be released or allowed into the charts.
Unfortunately, this 'song' (or 'rant') will forever be in the record lists.
:cry:

User Menu

Newsletter