Moist von Lipwig - love him or hate him

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Moist von Lipwig - what do you think of him?

• Love Moist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Like Moist

• He's So-So

• Don't Like Moist

• Hate Moist

• Total voters
Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
Moist is offcourse a conman which is very bad and not nice at all.
But he changes and becomes a hero (one of the most heroic things he does is saving a cat and he makes some other stuff happen ;) ) So he changes for the good becomes a nice enough guy and I like him :)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I try hard never to hate anyone, certainly not a fictional character, so I merely dislike him. ;) He's capable of good, even great things but his reasoning and nature are flawed and mostly turned in on himself. Yes he's capable of caring, but even there he's thinking in terms of himself or at least seeing people as a 'project' to make them like him. ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Oh I dunno. I know know if I feel strongly enough either way. I'm indifferent I suppose (there's always one :rolleyes: )

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I like Moist. Of all the non-Watch, non-magical protagonists, he's probably the best. He's far less pompous than Willian De Worde, and he knows exactly who he is.

The climax of "Making Money"--when he confesses to all that he's a crook--pretty much tells you everything you need to know about him, and it's one of the best scenes in any of the DW books.

Jeff in Boston

AM

Constable
Oct 22, 2009
Sweden
I´m somewhere between like him and love him. I think he is a fun person and I agree with raisindot. When he confesses in MM, that tells you all you need to know about him.

I like the way he does all those crazy stuff when Miss Dearheart is out of town. They make a nice couple

AM said:
I´m somewhere between like him and love him. I think he is a fun person and I agree with raisindot. When he confesses in MM, that tells you all you need to know about him.

I like the way he does all those crazy stuff when Miss Dearheart is out of town. They make a nice couple
Gotta agree with ya, He is really funny when he is not desparately trying to figure her out. Well, I just like him, he thinks, and you get to hear a lot of brain work going on.

AM

Constable
Oct 22, 2009
Sweden
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
AM said:

Gotta agree with ya, He is really funny when he is not desparately trying to figure her out. Well, I just like him, he thinks, and you get to hear a lot of brain work going on.
Yeah, but still, I like the part in MM (p.335) when they are discussing Hubert and she says something about a manual and he does not reply because he has also read the manual, the one about women. It made me laugh really badly, my dad says that that is just how my mum and I work.

Taliesin

Lance-Constable
Oct 28, 2009
I voted "don't like", I've only read GP; but on the strength of that I'd say he's my least favourite lead character.

Taliesin

Lance-Constable
Oct 28, 2009
Thanks for the welcomes.

Does he develop much in MM? I'll get around to reading it eventually, isn't there a hint that the third MVL book will be Raising Taxes?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Taliesin said:
Thanks for the welcomes.

Does he develop much in MM? I'll get around to reading it eventually, isn't there a hint that the third MVL book will be Raising Taxes?
I think that's the plan regarding a third book. I wouldn't say he develops at all in MM. If anything he was considerably more interesting in GP. :(

User Menu

Newsletter