Nation

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

greebo550

Oct 26, 2008
bath
Had some spare time yesterdy and started to read Nation. Could not put it down!! Finished it all in one go! Fantastic story, a real good spin off for Mr Pratchett. It just goes to show what a marvellous imagination The Man has.Could not fault it,if you are a fan, for Om's sake read it.The ending is a proper lump in the throat job.I'm just sorry that I read it so quick.Should be made into a film.[/b]

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Hi Greebo550. I read it in practically one sitting too. A very different book to Terry Pratchett's usual style, but I loved it as well.

mattygroves

Lance-Constable
Nov 15, 2008
SW London
www.dooyoo.co.uk
Everything - the names (Mau = Man) and the loneliness, and the thoughts on imperialism and religion and interpersonal relationships and loss....

Simply superb.

I cried from start to finish the first time I read it.

* sniff *

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
When he had to bury his people, that was so sad, I cried too, Matty. He was so alone then.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Oh! Chris, get on & read all of it, please. :laugh:

Jul 26, 2008
I read it a few weeks ago and sorry to say it was not my type of story, I shall not read it again :(

But never mind we cant like everything :laugh:

Dec 27, 2008
Hi,

I thought Nation was fantastic - full of pathos, surprises, smiles, sobs, and occasionally outright giggles.

Unfortunately ruined by the ending - not what happens, but the occurrence of the word "octopi" within the last 20 or so pages. Naughty Mr. Pratchett needs to check his plurals ;)

Tongue no longer in cheek though, the book was a a joy start to finish. I can see why it might not be the hot beverage of choice for all his fans, but it smacks of a book he felt he needed to write, and I'm extremely glad he did.

All the best,

Bob.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I agree Bob - it did seem like a book he 'had' to write and I think it needed to be off Discworld.

Welcome to the site. :laugh:

hgtodd

Dec 30, 2008
Bonny Scotland
:laugh: Thought the book was great - as usual. Just love getting a new TP book on Christmas morning. It seems like I am just always waiting for the next one to come out - keep em coming Terry! and hope you are keeping well. Couldn't put Nation down - except to get more wine and munchies of course! The characters are always so good you just want to meet these people. I must do the open-top-bus tour of Ankh-Morpork next hols.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
hgtodd said:
:laugh: I must do the open-top-bus tour of Ankh-Morpork next hols.
Now there's a thought! :laugh: Wonder who'd run such a tour???

Welcome to the site.

hgtodd

Dec 30, 2008
Bonny Scotland
chris.ph said:
got 2b cmot tours :laugh:
Cut Me Own Top Off?

:laugh: Very good. I can see that I am going to have to read all TP's books again to keep up with this witty banter. Good New Year to you all when it comes. luv Hx

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Hi everyone and a Happy New Year to you all.

I got in to TP when Pyramids came out and have been a fan ever since. Like I'm sure you all do, I read each and every book again and again.

Having just finished Nation, I'd like to make a couple of comments about it.

At first I was shocked when I realised it wasn't a Discworld story, but I really enjoyed it

It seemed to me to be a cross between "The God Delusion" and "Fingerprints of the Gods". I found it very anti-religion (more so than usual) and in particular it seemed to be attacking all the crazy "Creationists".

What do you all think?

Dec 31, 2008
every year I get the latest Pratchett book for Xmas from my mum and have normally finished it by Boxing Day. This year I didnt see my mum, and more importantly didnt get my new book, til New Years Eve so I am a bit later than normal finishing it.

It was a great book, not laugh out loud funny like a few of his books but still a great read and the quality that I have come to expect from Mr, oops sorry Sir Terry Pratchett

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Glad you liked it. It's a very thoughtful book that explores some interesting consepts. :)

Book of the Month

Good Omens

"Pratchett’s wackiness collaborates with Gaiman’s morbid humour; the result is a humanist delight to be savoured and read again and again."

User Menu

Newsletter