Nation

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Mar 8, 2009
Tonyblack said:
I thought it was great. Well worth the money and much better than Making Money. :)
Haha I'd rather make money than spend it :laugh:

I'll try and grab hold of a copy soon and get back to you ;)

jirzinek said:
Hi! I'm translating Nation into Polish and I wonder if you could help me with a few queries:

1) What do the acronyms M.R.H and F.R.A stand for (It's in "Birds of the Great Southern Pelagic Ocean by H.J. Hookwarm, MRH, FRA...) p.103
Isn´t there something like "Most Right Honourable" in English?

by the way, our Czech translator thinks that FRA means Full Retirement Age ;)

jirzinek

Feb 23, 2009
Thank you for your help so far. And a few final questions before I send the translation on Monday :)

1) Is papervine a real plant or another invention by the author?
2) When Cookie was describing the "coffin" harpooner, he said: "Had more tattoos than the Edinburgh festival" What did he mean?
3) Before his fight with the Nation chief, Cox complained: "You wouldn't find the Brigade of Guards coming over all treasonable like this, my word, no!"

Thank you!

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Byakuran ...... not sure if you live in the UK but Public Libraries are as far as I can remember free.

If you want a book and they have it you can reserve it.

No idea about other countries though...... o_O

Nation.....

Not my cup of Tea I am afraid, for some reason it reminded me of strata one of Terry's early books, writing style wise.

Whilst it was not, as such, a bad book it is a side step and a move away from the humor packed books He normally writes and aimed more at the emotional orientated reader.....

Which is why I did not enjoy it as much as the rest of His books.

But then again given the choice between watching an Episode of Casualty and a Carry On Film I would watch the comedy!

:laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Jirzinek is attempting to translate Nation into Polish - hence the questions.

1. Papervine may or may not be a real plant we just don't know. The people on the island have obviously named it that because it reminds them of paper and it's a vine. I don't think papervine is any sort of actual botanical name.

2. Tattoo here is a play on words. We all know what tattoos are - skin markings made with ink, but every year there is something called
The Edinburgh Military Tattoo; which is a huge display of military marching and training etc. It's the biggest such show in Britain.

3. Not sure quite what you're looking for with number 3. The Brigade of Guards is a group of several regiments in Britain whose traditional role is to protect the King or Queen. They are also (supposedly) the biggest and toughest and most disciplined soldiers and the least likely to run away on a battlefield. They do as they are told and therefore are unlikely to commit treason.

I hope that helps.

jirzinek

Feb 23, 2009
Thank you Tony! I wasn't sure whether "papervine" was a colloquial name for a plant that a Native Speaker would recognize at once, hence my question.

Thanks for the Tattoo link but as I was reading about it, I found the whole thing started in 1950, so Cookie couldn't possible have had that in mind, could he?

As for the Brigade of Guards, sorry for not explaining what I meant - Well, it seemed strange to me that Cox used the word "treasonable" referring to them exactly because you wouldn't normally associate the Brigade of Guards with treason... It's page 339 in my edition.1

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
You have to remember that Nation is set on a sort of alternative Earth (down a different leg of the Trousers of Time) and it's not a history book. The British Royal Family did NOT actually get wiped out by a flu epidemic. ;) So Terry is using things like the Edinburgh Tattoo, even if it hadn't been invented then. It's just to fit the joke. :laugh:

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Yes..... good luck in translation, some of the ideas and jokes may not convert well into other languages because it is assumed that the reader has a basic understanding of the English culture and Language.. this is sometimes true of other of Terry Pratchett books.

The one that springs to My mind is Men At Arms and the Gonne.

Gonne ,gone and Gun sound very much the same and are used as a pun and in word play in that book.

Good luck!

jirzinek

Feb 23, 2009
You are absolutely right.

Now, in your edition of Nation, is the text in the invitation Daphne gave Mau legible? In my copy some words are smudged and I don't know if it was done on purpose...

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
jirzinek said:
You are absolutely right.

Now, in your edition of Nation, is the text in the invitation Daphne gave Mau legible? In my copy some words are smudged and I don't know if it was done on purpose...
I'll have to dig my copy out. It's in a glass cabinet in the other room. Sounds like a problem with your copy. o_O

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
As far as I can remember all the text is well printed, you may have a duff copy.

I think some people also had repeated pages in some of the books but my copy was fine. ..

Not that I will ever be likely to read it agin.... found the book hard going after an interesting start.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
jirzinek said:
That's the one. Can you read the text of that invitation? The letters are smudged, aren't they?
Not so much smudged as unimportant. It's a standard party invitation that Daphne has adapted. As far as I can make out it says:

Government House, Port Mercia (crossed through)
The Wreck of the Sweet Judy (hand written)
To.............
Request the pleasure of your company
to join us for celebrating
a party to commemorate the
*something unreadable* of

Dress: Yes Please
R.S.V.P Ermintrude Fanshaw (The Honourable Miss)

jirzinek

Feb 23, 2009
I can't thank you enough... I wonder how the publisher is going to deal with "something unreadable"

I'm just putting the finishing touches to the final pages. The text will be sent tomorrow and then it will come back to me after all the editorial corrections. Perhaps I will bother you with a few more questions then. I must say I didn't expect such cooperative spirit here. The Pratchettians are really lovely people.

User Menu

Newsletter