Nation

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Feb 9, 2009
Deepcar
rsmdesigns.net
jirzinek said:
I can't thank you enough... I wonder how the publisher is going to deal with "something unreadable"

I'm just putting the finishing touches to the final pages. The text will be sent tomorrow and then it will come back to me after all the editorial corrections. Perhaps I will bother you with a few more questions then. I must say I didn't expect such cooperative spirit here. The Pratchettians are really lovely people.
I will have a copy when its published :laugh:

baruch menachem

Lance-Constable
Mar 26, 2009
Daphne gets some real winning complements.

Like the canibal chief admiring how smart she is, and saying he would like to be smart as that as well... What he actually said way "I would like to eat your brians..."

and Mau's comment on the canibal women wanting to eat her so they could be beautiful too.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
Yesterday, I ordered Nation, The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld, The Science of Discworld, The Art of Discworld... my goodness I had no idea how far behind I was in my collection... :eek:
You do realise there are THREE Science of Discworld books, don't you? ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Yesterday, I ordered Nation, The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld, The Science of Discworld, The Art of Discworld... my goodness I had no idea how far behind I was in my collection... :eek:
There is three books in that sequence The Globe being the 2nd and Darwins Watch the 3rd, :)

Tonyblack said:
Oh My! :eek:

Tonyblack said:
Ok, I just got my paperback of the Science of Discworld... and there are 45 chapters and 368 pages... there are Three of these???

You know, I live out in the Boondocks, way out in the country at the End of the Postman's route...I was in the local gasoline station the other day and said Hello to him. He asked "Do I know you?" to which I replied "Yes, I am on your delivery route"... He scowled at me and said in a gravely voice "Oh... Yeah... YOU, the One With All The Packages."

:oops: :laugh: :twisted: :oops: I am not sure How to feel about that LOL I mean I AM keeping the post office in Business, no? :twisted:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
You know, I live out in the Boondocks, way out in the country at the End of the Postman's route...I was in the local gasoline station the other day and said Hello to him. He asked "Do I know you?" to which I replied "Yes, I am on your delivery route"... He scowled at me and said in a gravely voice "Oh... Yeah... YOU, the One With All The Packages."

:oops: :laugh: :twisted: :oops: I am not sure How to feel about that LOL I mean I AM keeping the post office in Business, no? :twisted:
Quite right! He should thank you. :laugh:

NightOwl

Lance-Constable
Feb 22, 2009
dazman_the_gasman said:
Yeah I agree Nation is great!
by far Terrys darkest book though I literally could'nt put it down!
do you think it IS dark?

I would say 'thought-provoking' rather than 'dark' -

I am an optimist who is puzzled by Creation, so I ascribe some mysteries to the Will of God - I don't find knowledge and belief incompatible - and sometimes increased knowledge throws up puzzles that I think are almost beyond our vocabulary to explain/understand.

Like all satirists, TP pokes fun at religion - after all there are many seemingly ridiculous things associated with most religion - BUT many great satiirists do so out of disgust at the mockery that mankind makes of the good will at the heart of many faiths - it seems much more likely that mankind "mishears" than a benevolent creator or great spirit wants us to go round killing people in his/her/its name. pointing out the irony of a faith that forbids marriage and then covers up child molesting or where women are so precious they must be covered up yet regarded as property or one animal is sacred and one almost genetically identical is not - all potential targets for somebody with a sense of the ridiculous.

Jonathan Swift and many others mocked from a position of 'inside knowledge' - no reason why TP should not.

"darkness is in the unelightened soul, not in humour." William of Baskerville*

*probably.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I recently reread Nation and have to say that I enjoyed it more than I ever have. It's a superb discussion about scepticism over superstition. About science over religion and how important it is to keep an open enquiring mind over acceptance of religious dogma. Mau's world is turned upside down and, at first he blames the gods and then decides that they don't exist - can't exist. I felt a lot more sorry for the priest character in this reading. The discoveries made on the island had also turned his world upside down. It was very interesting to me that, as the nation grew, all the members found places where they fitted and got on with it. The priest however, sat back and did very little until he was faced with the truth about his gods and that nearly killed him. For thousands of years the islanders had settled into a routine of traditions based on a set of stories created by their priests. It caused them to stop thinking and asking questions. It is when people are like this that religion takes over. And it is uncomfortable for priests to be asked questions, so they discourage it. Having what is known as a "god of the gaps" to supply answers effectively kills an enquiring mind.

One of my favourite lines from the book is: "Imo made us clever enough to work out that He does not exist."

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
If I recall correctly, the part he found most annoying was the attitude, rather than the abbreviation. When the Nac Mac Feegle first showed up in Carpe Jugulum, each one had his own warcry, like a .sig line. One of the many warcries in that scene was "Imhoe!"

User Menu

Newsletter