Nation

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

ColinEdwards

Lance-Constable
Aug 3, 2008
Norfolk/Suffolk border
Aha - found it! That'll teach me for not reading the homepage!

Now - Hayling Island or Piccadilly?

I guess Piccadilly might mean the shop might remain open after 5pm, and more chance of getting into the signing queue as early as possible before 2pm...

I like the sound of the special edition - and full marks to Random House and Waterstones for the idea of going to the smallest island bookshop and biggest outlet in Europe for the launch - what a great idea.

Colin

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
North Warwickshire
Now ... Southport ... that is a nice place!

Jason said:
I quite like Hayling Island. The grandparents of a friend of mine had a caravan there and we had some fun times holidaying there.
I am reliably informed that it used to be OK, esp. for kids, but it's a bit down at heel nowadays, IMO.

Aug 20, 2008
Manchester
Is it me or is there no actual date for the Southport signig it just says "Terry will sign copies of his books Nation and The Folklore Of Discworld at Broadhurst’s on Thursday, October 2pm from 4pm “until he runs out of steam.” ?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Blackwolfdreaming said:
Is it me or is there no actual date for the Southport signig it just says "Terry will sign copies of his books Nation and The Folklore Of Discworld at Broadhurst’s on Thursday, October 2pm from 4pm “until he runs out of steam.” ?
They were obviously so excited that Terry is coming they made an error. :laugh:

I could be wrong, but think that should read'"Terry will sign copies of his books Nation and The Folklore Of Discworld at Broadhurst’s on Thursday, October 2nd from 4pm “until he runs out of steam.” :rolleyes:

denzal26

Aug 27, 2008
Hi i was wondering would anyone know how early to get to the piccadilly store as i've never been to a book signing before(don't really know what to expect). I know its at 2pm but are we talking over night or 9 in the morning, I'm coming off nights so don't whether i need to through a sickie. Any help would be appreciated.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It's generally accepted that Terry will sign a couple of items (sometimes they insist on one item) per person. Some people take the mickey and turn up with their whole set of books and expect them to be signed - and Terry usually obiges. But not only is that unfair on everyone else queuing, it's also unfair on Terry as he suffers from repetative strain injury to his wrist and I've seen him at signings with his wrist in a bowl of ice water.

Please be a bit thoughtful when you go to a signing. :)

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Tonyblack said:
It's generally accepted that Terry will sign a couple of items (sometimes they insist on one item) per person. Some people take the mickey and turn up with their whole set of books and expect them to be signed - and Terry usually obiges. But not only is that unfair on everyone else queuing, it's also unfair on Terry as he suffers from repetative strain injury to his wrist and I've seen him at signings with his wrist in a bowl of ice water.

Please be a bit thoughtful when you go to a signing. :)

Perhaps next time I shall have more to say than just "'nk you" to show my grattitude.

It's not something I knew before now, but perhaps should have considered anyway. Given the volume of books he publishes at the pace he sometimes writes, I shouldn't be surprised about the repetative strain injury.

I am proud to say that the one oppertunity I had to attend a book signing, I didn't tax PTerry too much. Mainly because I took pity on him with the size of the queue (And that I had been in it for several hours and was trying NOT to think about running water).

User Menu

Newsletter