The City Watch books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Beyond Birthday said:
The only thing I'm worried about with Men at Arms is if it's too preachy. You know, because that's the one about gun control.
Read it and enjoy it. Even the books that are a tiny bit preachy are still GOOD books Beyond. I can't be too off-hand though. My favourite is Nightwatch and I loved Guards! Guards! I wish I still had the watch books to read. Oh well I can reread them.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
poohcarrot said:
Beyond Birthday said:
The only thing I'm worried about with Men at Arms is if it's too preachy. You know, because that's the one about gun control.
If you think guns are good, I wouldn't advise you to read it. :laugh:
**SPOILER ALERT**
There is a gun. It kills people. Guns are bad. :eek:
Ohhhhhhh is that why I liked it. I don't think guns are good. I was about 9 when I went to stay on a property out west with a friend. We were playing with her brothers shotguns and I got my finger caught in the mechanism; it almost broken my finger. On hindsight... perhaps that was a GOOD thing.

deldaisy said:
poohcarrot said:
Beyond Birthday said:
If you think guns are good, I wouldn't advise you to read it. :laugh:
**SPOILER ALERT**
There is a gun. It kills people. Guns are bad. :eek:
Ohhhhhhh is that why I liked it. I don't think guns are good. I was about 9 when I went to stay on a property out west with a friend. We were playing with her brothers shotguns and I got my finger caught in the mechanism; it almost broken my finger. On hindsight... perhaps that was a GOOD thing.
Gonnes aren't toys. :eek:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
poohcarrot said:
YOU HELD A GUN!!!!!! :eek:

They are a bit more complicated than razors and more dangerous. :eek:
Well DUH! :laugh: I was a kid! And her brothers and Dad would have whapped us for a week if they had known we had the guns. It was a huge cattle property. They had to have guns. I am very ANTI guns Pooh. We have amazingly strict gun laws here and I love that. It took the Port Arthur massacre to do it but I love the gun laws.

Beyond Birthday

Lance-Corporal
Nov 11, 2010
I don't have much of an opinion on them. While they have stopped bad things from happening they've also caused bad things, too. They have existed for so long it's hard to imagine how the world would have turned out without em'. Night Watch seems to lean a little towards the pro-side. ie "the 'bad guys' already have the weapons so the 'good(er) guys' need them, too.

Men at Arms is a little different in that this is the CREATION of a weapon, not a continuation of one. No other people own this weapon so if the message is 'these are bad' then it's a little weakened by this. I mean, we can't exactly go back in time and stop the creation of a weapn. Maybe, and this is a big maybe, this story is just a "what if we COULD stop this from being made. If we COULD, maybe we SHOULD" type of thing.

It might be a while before I even get to this one, though. I've been meaning to read this other non-Pratchett book for a while.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Man WILL evolve.

I'm sure if you are on the receiving end of a poke in the eye with a sharp stick you wouldn't be too happy either.

Then again, you don't often see "News at Nine" covering a city shutdown as some guy goes on a rampage with a sharp stick....

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Part of the point of the Gonne in Men At Arms is that there is just one. It's better not to have any than to give everyone one. Like nuclear weapons - would the world be a safer place if every country had some? Was the world a safer place when just one country had some? :)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
deldaisy said:
We have amazingly strict gun laws here and I love that. It took the Port Arthur massacre to do it but I love the gun laws.
Holy shattered misconceptions!

Downunda is the last place I thought would have tough gun laws. I'd always thought of Australia as the land of tough, rugged, good-looking, hard-drinking individualists and liberatarians who went around shooting and beating the tar out of helpless animals and each other with carefree impunity. Kind of like Texas but with kangaroos.

I stand corrected.

:laugh:

J-I-B

User Menu

Newsletter