The "I shall wear midnight" thread

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I would probably go if I was still living in West London. :(

But here are the details.

Meet
Terry Pratchett
I Shall Wear Midnight

WATERSTONE'S PICCADILLY
Wednesday, 1 September 2010, 11:00PM
Tickets £9.50, to include a copy of 'I Shall Wear Midnight'. To book tickets please call 020 7851 2419. Lines are open Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm only.
Join us & Sir Terry Pratchett at the official midnight launch of his new Discworld novel, 'I Shall Wear Midnight'. Tickets are limited please book early to avoid disappointment. Entry without a ticket will not be allowed. Strictly one copy of 'I Shall Wear Midnight' will be signed per person, signature only, no dedications. Tickets holders to arrive no earlier than 10.30pm

Further details: 020 7851 2419

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
o_O I like Paul Kidby's work, but that image for the hardback edition is almost criminally derivative to the point of being actionable. Even if it's illustrating something from the book, making a feature of a ring of fire gives off shades of the eye of Sauron (LotR) for starters, but that picture's also very, very similar to the cover of the penultimate Harry Potter kids hardback (the name of which escapes me and I can't be arsed to look it up). :rolleyes:

Sorry Paul - not your best illustration by any means :(

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
This cover - which is also a far better and dynamic illustration. Not exactly alike but enough that publishers might be looking to the courts and saying that shoving a hare and some Feegles in there isn't enough.

The American one's at least more original, but they should lose the plastic blue bits on the Feegles and make them look less 'Lego meets Star Wars action figures' :devil:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm not suggesting this is the case here, but a lot of Paul's covers are based on other works. Night Watch, the famous painting, Going Postal, the poster for Star Wars, Monstrous Regiment, the Raising the Flag at Iwo Jima photo. o_O

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Those are ironic visual parody 'following the style' of dead artists (Iwo Jima's not original either 'cos there's at least a French Revolution version out there that has similarities ;) ) and with Nightwatch conveniently no problem with copyright, except Rembrandt's 'work' is notoriously hard to attribute in his lifetime let alone in moderntimes. :laugh:

I'm sure it won't come to litigation, but it's effectively professional 'fanart' aka 'oh, that'll do' and, because it's witches as opposed to wizards doesn't really help does it because it's almost the same niche genre? :rolleyes: Terry's work deserves better for the front cover anyway I think :(

baruch menachem

Lance-Constable
Mar 26, 2009
Given my understanding of Tiffany's and Roland's ages (about 17 now, I think) it is just a little early to be marrying them off in this book, but were marriage to happen, I think they would be a good pair. Roland is not a tool, but has been learning a lot himself.

I think Granny regrets not getting married, but is to full of her ego allow herself to be part of a matched set.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I think Roland would be good for Tiffany and you're probably right about them being too young to marry yet. But in those kinds of rural/feudal communities people did tend to get together/married very young and 17 for a girl would be seen as almost being over the hill - except she's a witch so not so surprising after all. :laugh:

Tiffany's exceptional in everything, so any life partnership is not something she's going to rush into, but Roland wants her therefore it's hard to see how they're not going to get together, because I doubt he'll want anyone else and she's already bound to him in some ways. ;)

User Menu

Newsletter