The "I shall wear midnight" thread

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
She doesn't look like the 'usual' Paul Kidby Granny no - she looks more the Miss Jean Brodie type :laugh: (some resemblance there to Maggie Smith)

With the shepherd's crook maybe she's Granny Aching come back in some kind of supernatural event - which may account for the black as she didn't wear it in life either I'd say... o_O

Miss Tick maybe?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
As we can see from the other covers HERE - each cover has Tiffany with a new witch that we meet in the individual book. Miss Tick in Wee Free Men, Miss Level in Hat Full of Sky and Miss Treason in Wintersmith. I'm basing my theory that the witch on the new cover is a new character from that. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tristan said:
Tonyblack said:
I found Wintersmith got better with more readings. But Hat Full of Sky will always be a very special book for us. It's my favourite of the trio so far.
For "us"? Your and... Perdita X? :laugh:
:oops: Sorry Tristan, I missed this post and never responded to it.

Hat Full of Sky is the book that brought swreader and me together. She had a bookstore when then and got an advance copy so she didn't have anyone on the Pratchett site we were both on to talk to about it.

Then I happened to go to my local Tesco store and someone had screwed up and put the books out two weeks too early. Needless to say, I grabbed a copy before the mistake was spotted. ;)

I didn't know Sharlene very well then, but we started to PM each other to talk about the book and the rest is history. :laugh:

I told Terry about it a few years later and said that he was an unlikely Cupid. It was a million to one chance (obviously). ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tonyblack said:
He seems to be holding an Ankh-Morpork City Watch badge as a shield. :laugh:
And he's in uniform - a feegle watchman! How would that work? Do you think Tiffany ends up in AM? Or is the feegle one of the sammies that gets trained in AM then goes off to work elsewhere?

Tristan

Lance-Corporal
Aug 16, 2009
It's definately another witch, Terry mentioned it somewhere... in an interview.

Wikipedia:
For example, the book features an urban witch, who does not like the countryside and whose magic is to do with the city.
It definately makes sense, Tiffany going to Ankh-Morpork, meeting this urban witch, the city watch badge... and who knows, maybe we'll see Ek again? ;)

Jan 1, 2010
I'm not sure you can claim that's an urban witch Tristan - what would she be doing with a hare?
I suspect there may be more than one new witch

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Doughnut Jimmy said:
I'm not sure you can claim that's an urban witch Tristan - what would she be doing with a hare?
I suspect there may be more than one new witch
Shaving it,you what women are like about harey armpits. :twisted: :laugh: Thought I would slip that one in before pooh or chris got a chance ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I read through this thread yesterday and someone suggested that Terry had commented that Tiffany would be going to A-M.

I thought of Buggy Swires - but Wee Mad Arthur is said to be a Feegle in the Discworld Companion. I guess we'll have to wait and see. ;)

Jan 1, 2010
Dug that's just bad

Tony are Feegles actually described as blue or have they just got loots of tattoos? I don't have CJ or Wee Frreee Men handy to check

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Doughnut Jimmy said:
Dug that's just bad

Tony are Feegles actually described as blue or have they just got loots of tattoos? I don't have CJ or Wee Frreee Men handy to check
:laugh:

Doughnut to answer your question they are Blue but aso have a lot of tattoos, I believe the idea came from the picts! small and warlike ancient scottish inhabitants who covered themselves in Blue woad and fought naked against the Romans. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Who's Wee Dug said:
Doughnut Jimmy said:
Dug that's just bad

Doughnut to answer your question they are Blue but aso have a lot of tattoos, I believe the idea came from the picts! small and warlike ancient scottish inhabitants who covered themselves in Blue woad and fought naked against the Romans. :)
What Dug said! :laugh:

Not to be confused with Mel Gibson's Braveheart movie. There's no evidence that the Scottish fought wearing blue paint in the time of William Wallace. :rolleyes:

Tonyblack said:
Who's Wee Dug said:
Doughnut Jimmy said:
Dug that's just bad

What Dug said! :laugh:

Not to be confused with Mel Gibson's Braveheart movie. There's no evidence that the Scottish fought wearing blue paint in the time of William Wallace. :rolleyes:
I just had an idea after seeing the fight between aragorn and the feegles: Are the feegles part parody of smurfs as well?

User Menu

Newsletter