SPOILERS The Last Continent Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Quatermass said:
You spelt naive wrong, for one thing, unless it was some sort of obscure pune...sorry, pun. And I'm sure that you will consider the second motto of Bugarup University (Nullae Sheilae Sanguinae) to be linked, when it is just plain misogynistic.
Firstly, Monty Python and XXXX lager commercials made comments about Shielas which were misogynist, so that argument is pants! :laugh:

Speaking of obscure puns. Surely it would have been better to call Sydney, Clancy - both names. o_O

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
poohcarrot said:
Quatermass said:
You spelt naive wrong, for one thing, unless it was some sort of obscure pune...sorry, pun. And I'm sure that you will consider the second motto of Bugarup University (Nullae Sheilae Sanguinae) to be linked, when it is just plain misogynistic.
Firstly, Monty Python and XXXX lager commercials made comments about Shielas which were misogynist, so that argument is pants! :laugh:
Not at all. You just confirmed my argument, because we are a misogynistic racist lot. :)

Quod erat demonstrandum, amice. :p

And yet, isn't it ironic that we are also debatably the most multicultural country in the world?

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
This is not an argument because I'm not arguing about misogyny. :rolleyes:
It's a well-known stereotype of Oz that women are called "Shiela's" and "inferior." 8)

Now, if there was just one piece of evidence linking Buggerup to a gay joke, then fair enough, it probably isn't.

However, I've so far put FIVE pieces of evidence forward, thus making it more than just a coincidence.

To claim it is paranoid, or that Foul Ole Ron is gay is simply ignoring the facts and evidence. You (and Tony) aren't closet creationists are you? :eek:

A

Anonymous

We need a thread concerning all references and mentiones to/of actual sex and sexuality.
(don't mind me, it's 2:40 in the morning here and I just nommed down a whol package of chocolatecookies)

And CMN: I am disappoint.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
LilMaibe said:
We need a thread concerning all references and mentiones to/of actual sex and sexuality.
(don't mind me, it's 2:40 in the morning here and I just nommed down a whol package of chocolatecookies)

And CMN: I am disappoint.
Poohcarrot started it. :rolleyes:

And why are you disappointed at poor CMN? He didn't know what he was in for, joining this forum...

A

Anonymous

Quatermass said:
And why are you disappointed at poor CMN? He didn't know what he was in for, joining this forum...
He likes UA D= Shame on you, CMN, shame on you.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Pooh, maybe you are being too selective with the meaning of the word 'bugger' - it doesn't just refer to homosexuality between men.

Online dictionary said:
buggery [ˈbʌgərɪ]
n
anal intercourse between a man and another man, a woman, or an animal
According to Nanny Ogg's song, the only thing that can't be buggered is a hedgehog. :laugh:

Yes, I can see your point and the possible connection to the Gallah, but it's also possible that Terry chose the name for it's comic sound.

In Dylan Thomas's 'Under Milk Wood' he created a fictional town called Llareggub, which is Bugger all spelt backwards. Terry referenced this with is fictional town of Llamedos, or Sod em all when spelt backwards. 'Sod' could be taken as being short for 'sodomy' - I don't think that either Thomas or Pratchett were saying that the inhabitants of either town regularly sodomised or buggered anything.

Bugger is, I believe, a common word used in Australia that has very little to do with anal sex. When the Pythons sang: "Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle", I don't think they were suggesting any sexual deviancy.

Or maybe you're right. Only Terry knows for sure. :p

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Going back to Aussie references -

Terry Pratchett said:
And my mate Duncan, 'cos Duncan's me mate.
A reference to this song, by Australian singer, Slim Dusty, maybe. ;)

Another thing - Rincewind's sandals are called 'thongs' in Australia, I think. Thongs are something different over here. This caused some confusion a few years back when my brother-in-law was going to Australia to visit relatives. He asked what clothes he should bring and it was suggested that he should bring some thongs. If you could see my b-i-l you'd know what a horrible thought seeing him in a thong would be. :laugh:

Aussie thongs:

British thongs:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
Tonyblack said:
Yes, I can see your point and the possible connection to the Gallah, but it's also possible that Terry chose the name for it's comic sound.

Or maybe you're right. Only Terry knows for sure. :p
And there we have a perfect demonstration of logical thinking for evolution-denying creationists. 8)

1. Tony was completely sure of his original statement.
2. I supplied some evidence.
3. Tony studied the evidence.
4. Tony then changed his position and conceded his original statement might be wrong. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
1. Pooh talks rubbish
2. Tony thinks that Pooh talks rubbish
3. Tony points out that he thinks Pooh is talking rubbish
4. Tony concedes that Pooh is entitled to talk rubbish if he wants to and lets him carry on

There you have a demonstration that I'm an easy going guy who lets people talk rubbish if they want to. :p

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
1. Pooh talks rubbish
2. Tony thinks that Pooh talks rubbish
3. Tony points out that he thinks Pooh is talking rubbish
4. Tony concedes that Pooh is entitled to talk rubbish if he wants to and lets him carry on

There you have a demonstration that I'm an easy going guy who lets people talk rubbish if they want to. :p
I believe the appropriate colloquialism is 'Booyah!' :)

And I can write in green too. And red. And all the colours of the rainbow. :)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tonyblack said:
poohcarrot said:

But where was the evidence? o_O

And how come SW's allowed to right in green? o_O That's nepotism! :laugh:
You can WRITE in green as well if you like. ;)
How disappointing, I was expecting the usual literary fireworks between Pooh and SWreader to be flaring up by now, and the best we get is civil banter between Pooh and the totally unflappable Tony?

What HAS this forum come to?

:laugh:

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
It's been a while since I read this one, but it's not among my favourites. Some reasons:

- It's a Rincewind book. I'm not fond of the character, the only book I really like in which he's the main focus is Interesting Times because I feel that's his only book where he isn't just running from gag to gag.

-Building on this, it lacks story - or at least a compelling story with a sense of urgency or menace.

- It feels like a 'stereotype' book, by which I mean TP picks a topic and plays with/makes fun of all the things we know or seem to know about it. It's less extreme than Soul Music or Moving Pictures but that might be because there are more music/film references to be made than Australian stereotypes.

- Ignorance on my part on the subject. I don't know that much about Australia. I've never been there, it's not close to my heart (sorry to all the Bruces and Sheilas in here! :)). Some references probably went right over my head. Someone invite me over already and show me around!

However, there are also things I liked. I usually enjoy the faculty's adventures. The God of Evolution on Mono Island was fun enough. This one's not high on my re-read list for now.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
raisindot said:
Tonyblack said:
poohcarrot said:

But where was the evidence? o_O

And how come SW's allowed to right in green? o_O That's nepotism! :laugh:
You can WRITE in green as well if you like. ;)
How disappointing, I was expecting the usual literary fireworks between Pooh and SWreader to be flaring up by now, and the best we get is civil banter between Pooh and the totally unflappable Tony?

What HAS this forum come to?

:laugh:
She hasn't said anything too stupid yet. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter