SPOILERS The Last Continent Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Q said:
Oh sweet dear merciful non-existent Lord.
Bugger is common word used for anything... it has no gay references here in Australia... And I have heard people saying something has gone "Buggerup" Meaning it is its broken, smashed, non-fixable. When i worked in mining I used to continually get reports off the guys about the trucks parts being "buggered" (I retyped it to unserviceable). Pooftah is more a derogetory term here because bugger is so universally used for everything else.

Bugger is like "damn!" "Sh*t!" "F**k!"

Tinhead Ned is Ned Kelly

Sheila hasn't been used as a term for a girl in Australia since the Barry McKenzie movie in the 70's (same with Bruce) a movie that was AIMED not at an Australian audience btw..... its only an urban myth perpetuated overseas.

You can call someone a "Galah".... same as a silly old bastard... with affection or hatred. "Ah.. you're being a galah you stupid twit!" "Don't be a galah"... it means silly, stupid, someone that doesn't know what they are talking about, or is acting silly.

Duncan IS from the song by Slim Dusty.

Walkabout is referred to when an oboriginal person goes missing... yes harks back to the days when the tribe would travel.... but don't believe wiki about everything.... its still referred to ANY aboriginal who takes off.... (and is used for a white man doing it too for that matter in some places)... it means you just "up and left".

YES! We have pie floaters.... but thats more of a southern thing... not usual up this way.

And the Mardi Gras Gay and Lesbian festival here in Sydney is most probably reffered to because it is the largest gay parade anywhere in the world and the parade alone attracts a crowd of 300,000.

Australia is touted as one of the few countries in the world where multi-culturalism has succeeded, though we still have our fair share of racists and homophobes.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Tonyblack said:
I kind of regret looking up that Duncan song as I've had it stuck in my head all day. :laugh:
One of the few "country" songs that made the top 10... YAY!

You heard it ONCE.... you didn't have it on every bloody radio station for 167 bloody weeks.... or have every bloody drunk sing it to his bloody mates (insert mates name HERE) every bloody time they had a bloody party/drink/wiff of alcohol. I was working and living in a mining town when this was big... do you have ANY BLOODY IDEA how many times that was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Oh I've heard it more than once. It was quite a big hit (with a capital S) over here too. I'd just managed to forget it. :laugh: And when I found the video, I also found one of a load of drunks singing it to their mates. :eek:

A

Anonymous

On a small sidenote: Could it be that LC is one of the only around 5 books with full frontal nudity in it? (as in, it does get mentioned directly someone's naked)

A

Anonymous

Tonyblack said:
Not talking about Ponder are you? :laugh: They both kept their hats on.
As if anyone'd look at the hat...

And yep x3
As said, around 5 books.
Ponder in LC, Ridcully in NW, The dryad in CoM...

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
LilMaibe said:
Tonyblack said:
Not talking about Ponder are you? :laugh: They both kept their hats on.
As if anyone'd look at the hat...

And yep x3
As said, around 5 books.
Ponder in LC, Ridcully in NW, The dryad in CoM...
Not to mention Liessa in The Colour of Magic, at least once she prepares to give Hrun his final test, if you know what I mean. In fact, I didn't know what 'priapic' meant until later, so I didn't understand what they meant when they called Hrun priapic (presumably under his loin cloth).

And don't forget, Ridcully was technically naked in Hogfather when he used the Bloody Stupid Johnson Shower.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
A thousand other quite explicit terms for that Pooh.... its a morphed thing... because "bugger" is used so socially for everything else. Its not even considered a bad thing when kids say bugger (because the alternative is far worse). Its not used like that here.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia

User Menu

Newsletter