SPOILERS The Last Continent Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Another reference (possibly) that people may have missed:

Terry Pratchett said:
Rincewind felt intuitively that saying 'I was just outside the door' was not a good idea.

'Er, I had an assisted passage,' he said.
After WW2 Australia opened its doors to emigrants from the UK and over a million of them went there between 1945 and 1972. The Australian government had an Assisted Passage scheme, where emigrants would pay just £10 to travel to Australia. This scheme became known by the Australians as 'Ten Pound Poms'. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Does anyone else have trouble telling the Faculty apart? Ponder, the Bursar, Ridcully and the Librarian are fine, and the Dean is not too bad - but the Chair of Indefinite Studies, the Lecturer of Recent Runes and the Senior Wrangler are almost interchangeable. o_O

A

Anonymous

Tonyblack said:
Does anyone else have trouble telling the Faculty apart? Ponder, the Bursar, Ridcully and the Librarian are fine, and the Dean is not too bad - but the Chair of Indefinite Studies, the Lecturer of Recent Runes and the Senior Wrangler are almost interchangeable. o_O
*lifts hand*

Tonyblack said:
I always remember that Senior Wrangler is more randy than the others. :)

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
poohcarrot said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But where was the evidence? o_O

And how come SW's allowed to right in green? o_O That's nepotism! :laugh:
Pooh, you've become obsessed with sex and your knowledge of Australia is obviously badly out of date. There are lots of interesting and relevant bits of the book that show Terry's interest in and homage to Australia. After all, that's where the English had to send their convicts when we stopped accepting them. But they turned out extraordinarily well after all.

Del, is the Trickster (Roo) a part of the aboriginal creation story as coyote is in many of the Native American creation accounts?

As to giving emphasis by WRITING in green (I have the right to if I want to--as Tony pointed out). It was your post that I used the green on, not mine. Would you have prefered shocking pink?

As to your question about where is the evidence of Pooh talking rubbish, see pages 1 through 9 for frequent examples.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
I didn't have an obsession with gay sex until Tony raised the issue in UA. :rolleyes:
Tonyblack talking about "Gay" jokes in UA said:
I couldn't believe the amount of double entendres in the book. Back passages and back alleys had more mentions than a Carry-On film. :laugh:
SW You only think I was talking rubbish because you quite clearly didn't get the evolution debate bit. :laugh:
The Ozzie half if funny, but (in my opinion) it's the evolution bits which elevate this novel above the likes of Night Watch and Monstrous Regiment.

swreader on CA site said:
I found the whole Mono island reminescent of Eric where there is another Creator--only this one was wasn't as good. It seemed to me that this was simply Terry putting in the wizards and a few double entendres, as you can't seem to have a Rincewind book without the wizards. Unfortunately, they're not nearly as funny as they are in some of their other appearances.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
As Pooh has failed to supply a link to the discussion he's quoting from on the Cunning Artificer's Board, I thought I'd supply one. LINK.

As you'll see from the link, the discussion took place in December 2007. In my own opening introduction I said that this book was my least favourite of all the books.

But over all those years my opinion has changed somewhat. I see things in there that I didn't see before and can see where Terry was going with this book now. I've changed my opinion. I know that swreader enjoyed the book more this time as well. People change their minds - I didn't like Small Gods much when I first read it. :laugh:

As to me talking about "Gay" jokes in UA. Where, in that quote do I mention anything about "gay" anything? o_O

The quote by me is from this thread: Unseen Academicals - Revelation! posted by Pooh in January 2010 about what "gay" references he saw in Unseen Academicals. I think most people who contributed to that thread agreed that there were gay references in the book.

poocarrot said:
I didn't have an obsession with gay sex until Tony raised the issue in UA. :rolleyes:
Let me get this clear Pooh. Your comments about gay sex in The Last Continent are based on my comments in a thread about UA over a year ago - a discussion about homosexual references in a thread that you started? Huh - how does that work? o_O

I apologise if I've corrupted you. :laugh:

Sep 25, 2010
Australia
I'm not sure if it is safe to reply to this thread, but as an Aussie I really enjoyed the fact that the politicians were put in jail as soon as they were elected, if only it were true!

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
pandasthumb said:
I'm not sure if it is safe to reply to this thread, but as an Aussie I really enjoyed the fact that the politicians were put in jail as soon as they were elected, if only it were true!
If only. :)

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Well we put a FEW in didn't we? I'm sure if they were ALL in it might make a difference... no free cars, free petrol, free meals, (how the hell can you institute policy on items you haven't paid for in years), free travel, free rent, free free free free free......

Mind you.... woudl YOU do that job? I mean the premise of it is okay... but frankly you would have to spend your whole day with.... POLITICIANS :eek: UGH.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Yes, I thought the whole point of that reference was to do with Aussie history and the imprisonment of corrupt politicians.

Here's a list of crooked Australian politicians. :laugh:

And it really is safe to post here. We don't always agree, but that wouldn't be much of a discussion if we did. ;)

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
I thought the idea of these discussions was to actually have some independent, original thoughts and ideas about specific books and to back them up with quotes. Obviously I was wrong. o_O

Any original ideas I have tend to be shot down in flames because I obviously "haven't read the book", or they just get unfairly dismissed out of hand because "It doesn't say so on L-Space". :rolleyes:

What's the point? :rolleyes:

When I first mentioned Buggerup could be a gay joke, this was immediately dismissed out of hand and equivalent to saying Foul Ole Ron was gay. I then provided 5 pieces of evidence;

1. According to Tony, UA has lots of gay references about "back passages" etc, thus setting a precedent.
2. Buggerup is a parody of Sydney, yet in keeping with the rest of the book, no pun is obvious. Clancy would have been a better name.
3. The Galeh is a parody of the Gay Pride festival.
4. Dibbler is overtly homophobic.
5. Someone says Buggerup is full of "Pooftahs".

Tony then said it might be true, and as far as I was concerned, that particular discussion was over.

Then Del sticks her big oar in and starts it up again, so I have to defend my position. :rolleyes:
Then DJ puts a different version of Foul Ole Ron being gay comment. :rolleyes:
Then SW says I'm obsessed with sex? :eek:
And SW says I have no knowledge of Australia. :eek: Which is pretty rich coming from somebody who completely failed to understand the book despite reading it at least twice. :rolleyes:

I give up.

User Menu

Newsletter