The sad bits...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
As to Gaspode, Terry had to give him some reason to continue to be able to talk. And he has a good deal of fun with him in the various appearances in other books. He is, as Vimes thinks in 5th Elephant, the "Corporal Nobbs" of the canine world.

But returning to what I would call "emotional moments" not exactly sad but touching--it seems to me there are several of them in Nightwatch--such as when Vimes/Keel loses his guiding star, and gets the cigar case as his link to Sybil; and working with a number of men whom he remembers that he knows will die; and even the moment at the end when Vetinari tells Vimes of his role on that fateful March 25th and why he also wears the lilac and then goes on to offer to rebuild the old watch house.

Thud! of course is full of such tensions--and addition to those already mentioned Vimes's reaction when he discovers that Sybil is being held by the Baron and the whole of the bringing the Scone back (from Sybil's song through the King's examination of Dee and Sybil's negotiations with the king) seem to me to be very moving. We see certainly in Vimes reaction to Sybil's announcement that she is going to have a baby a marvellous description of Vimes's feelings for her.

Apr 29, 2009
London
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
poohbcarrot said:
Tonyblack said:
I read somewhere that Terry was actually going to kill Gaspode off and when he sent the manuscript off someone who read it sent a message back telling him that he must not under any circumstances kill off Gaspode. :eek:
Probably Jan that sent that message! :laugh:

(or the US publishers! :twisted: )
hmmm, prolly in the bit where Angua and Gaspode had to go up against the "dog gang" and Fluffy the Terrible.

I don't see why... Gaspode Rocks.

Plus, Gaspode saved Vimes butt with the subliminal messages about the superiors itchy bum in one book, egads that was hilarious. you are feeling itchy... very, very itchy, oh you must scratch it Now.
Just read that one..... prickle, prickle, prickle :laugh:

Beth

Lance-Corporal
Aug 18, 2009
Godalming, Surrey
www.bethworlds.com
i cant remember which book its in but granny tells death to take the cow and not the baby
That's actually from Carpe Jugulum. I'm rereading it for the umpteenth time and I just read that part. It is very sad to me and says so much about Granny. It happens on the night of the naming of the baby when she thinks she's not invited and there's a sudden knocking at the door and she's called to attend because a cow has kicked Florence Ivy.

I find the part of Fifth Elephant where Gaspode sacrifices himself to be very emotional and I agree that most of Feet of Clay is. I think the part of Nightwatch where one by one the watchmen are killed at the end is very sad. It makes me cry.

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
Beth said:
i cant remember which book its in but granny tells death to take the cow and not the baby
That's actually from Carpe Jugulum. I'm rereading it for the umpteenth time and I just read that part. It is very sad to me and says so much about Granny. It happens on the night of the naming of the baby when she thinks she's not invited and there's a sudden knocking at the door and she's called to attend because a cow has kicked Florence Ivy.

I find the part of Fifth Elephant where Gaspode sacrifices himself to be very emotional and I agree that most of Feet of Clay is. I think the part of Nightwatch where one by one the watchmen are killed at the end is very sad. It makes me cry.
I agree that that part is from Maskarade and not CJ. It is when they are at a coaching in for the night.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Hi perditax :laugh:

Obviously Granny has faced off with Death a few times. Lucky for the cow in CJ it got to live ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
There are two books with Granny and a cow - they read quite differently though. In CJ the cow doesn't die, but Granny is worried that the owner of the cow might take his anger out on the cow. :)

User Menu

Newsletter