The sad bits...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Anski

Dec 13, 2009
Hey Everyone ......
I'm new to this forum, but have been a fan of Discworld for a long time ...... I'm currently reading Night Watch and think it's kinda sad when Downey starts bullying Vetinari and throws his book into the fire (which appears to be the last remaining copy) ......
"Don't you ever get upset, Dog-botherer?"
"Oh yes, Downey," said the reader. He pushed his chair back and stood up. "And now, I believe, I will have an early night."
Vetinari is one of my favourite characters and I love his relationship with Vimes ......

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi Anski, and welcome to the forum! I love the way Vetinari gets his revenge on Downey (even if my avatar is Lord Downey) and paints tiger stripes on his face. :twisted: :laugh:

Welcome Anski!!!!!

My sad bit comes from Nightwatch. When Nancyball got whacked and Vimes/Keel told Wiglet to take him to Lawn, Wiglet said "I can see him breathin', sir." I know that feeling. My baby brother died at the age of 20 and at times I could swear I saw his chest move in the coffin.

Vimes muttered to himself that the best friends and family OFTEN want it so badly that our imagination "makes" us see it. My Father told us the same thing when my other brother and I mentioned it to him. It is part of the process, the first step is denial.

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Sorry to hear about that Tina :(

Yes, there's a lot of that in Night Watch.
I found it sad, or rather shocking, when Vimes lost his will for that one moment in front of the barricade before the monks came because he was so uncertain of a future.

And welcome Anski!

Trish said:
chris.ph said:
i cant remember which book its in but granny tells death to take the cow and not the baby :cry:
That's from Equal Rites.
It's sad, but it's not. Only Granny could "tell" Death anything and expect him to listen.

Carpe Jugulum. The bit when Granny 'thinks' she' left out of the christening because she isnt' needed.
And the later bit when she tells Nanny she can't get through Magpyr's "wall of thought."
And the that losing herself /her mind is everything to her.

I like Granny. :0)
ITs also from Lords and Ladies, trish. WHen granny is called away in the christening.
I find lords and ladies sad too, when the elf queen changes to resemble magrat.
Actualy, in discworld i dont notice the sad parts much cos it almost immedietely gets snatched away. You ruined it for me, raspberry!!!! :devil: LOL

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
The bit in Monstrous Regiment that begins:

--had died almost in her arms, on the floor of the inn.

and ends:

It's little details like that which get remembered, as undirected white-hot rage fills the mind. Apart from the letter and the medal, all the man left behind was a tin mug and, on the floor, a stain which wouldn't scrub out.

Half a dozen paragraphs that sum up the utter futility of war (as well as kick-starting the plot). I still can't understand people who dislike that book.

User Menu

Newsletter