The Shepherd's Crown - No Spoilers in this thread please.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Re: The Shepherd's Crown - No Spoilers in this thread please

pip said:
Rath, what way would the publishing work for Australia. Are you in one of the others regions or a separate entity. Ireland technically falls under UK but they still tend to do large format paperbacks instead of hardbacks for most releases. It can be near impossible to buy fantasy hardbacks from a normal bookshop.
I don't know what region Australia would be in. As for broadcasting (DVDs and so forth), we're in region 4 - is it the same for publishing? I would say probably not. :|

We usually get Terry's hardbacks about a week or two after they're released in GB... possibly because they're ordered as soon as they're available, but it still takes a week or two for the books to actually GET here. Dratted geography, moan, grumble, complain. :p

Hardbacks stay on the bookshop shelves for about a year before we get the paperbacks, which I assume is fairly standard, right? ;)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

Tonyblack said:
The US cover of the book shows what appears to be a fossil echinoid. It turns out that a Shepherd's Crown is the folklore name of a fossilised echinoid found in chalk regions of Suffolk.

As this is is what is one the cover, I am assuming that is not any sort of spoiler.
The U.S. cover is an abomination in comparison to the UK cover. And they position it as "A Tiffany Aching Adventure" instead of "A Discworld Novel."

The only saving grace is that the U.S. version will be available only a couple days after the UK version. Still, I'd really like to get my hands on the UK version, even the limited edition...

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

Who's Wee Dug said:
For a postage free book try here for the UK edition.
Free delivery worldwide

http://www.bookdepository.com/search?se ... =Find+book
Free postage, but £17.90?

I could order it from Amazon.co.uk delivered to the US for £16.98 and a UK copy from Amazon Canada would cost £15.77 including shipping.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland

Tonyblack said:
Who's Wee Dug said:
Free delivery worldwide

I could order it from Amazon.co.uk delivered to the US for £16.98 and a UK copy from Amazon Canada would cost £15.77 including shipping.
Depending on the currency rates at the time.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

Tonyblack said:
Who's Wee Dug said:
Free delivery worldwide

Thanks for the heads-up, Tony. The UK edition wasn't up on Amazon.ca a couple days ago but it was today, so I ordered it. Because of the favorable $US, the total book plus shipping price of US $24 was less than the book plus shipping on the US site--and I get the "real" version instead of the bastardized US version.

Now the next step will be to figure out how to get a 1 free audiobook no-cost trial deal by signing up again for Audible.com. I'll do anything to avoid the monthly fee. :)

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia

Who's Wee Dug said:
According to Waterstones site, Hardback Published: 27/08/2015
83 days until publication
Wow, I didn’t know it will be published two days after my birthday… Is there a better present? ;)

Mx

User Menu

Newsletter