The Shepherd's Crown - No Spoilers in this thread please.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Re: The Shepherd's Crown - No Spoilers in this thread please

The "deleted scenes" are short but very interesting. *thinks* I'd better not say too much, because I don't want to spoil anything. :)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland

NEW EDITION limited to 500 copies.
The Shepherd’s Crown – Deluxe Collector’s Edition
The luxury gold edition, packaged in a foiled ‘honeycomb’ slipcase, will be limited to just 500 copies. Each copy will be numbered and stamped by Rob Wilkins, Terry’s close friend, using the ‘Order of the Honeybee’ insignia which is reserved for the special correspondence of Terry’s office. With a beautiful debossed bee image on the front and back and bespoke bee ribbon bookmark, this special hardback contains special full-colour endpaper images from Discworld illustrator Paul Kidby, and a limited-edition colour print, signed and numbered by Kidby to match each book.
The endpapers feature two never-before-seen colour illustrations: the landscape of Granny Weatherwax’s home in Lancre, and Tiffany Aching’s beloved Chalk. The exclusive signed and numbered print will feature an image of Tiffany standing on the Chalk, accompanied by the Wee Free Men. This is the image that Paul Kidby says he wanted to draw to honour Terry.
In addition there are four commentaries on the folklore of the book from Jacqueline Simpson, co-author of The Folklore of Discworld, which include insights into shepherds’ crowns and bees – which are a central motif of this final novel.

Available at Waterstones and ( PJSM sold out at £120 Discworld Emporium sold out at £100 )

cols

Lance-Corporal
Nov 5, 2008
ireland

Looks fab but far too pricey for me too at the moment. Pre ordered from just regular hb from waterstones for £10. :dance:

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012

I actually went to buy the deluxe edition but it was sold out, luckilly... it's tempting what with it bieng limited edition but it's £100 for some pictures and commentary.

I'll probably go for the slipcase edition thats on sale in the re-furbished pjsm-prints site, mainly because its the last discworld book and i want something to commemorate that yknow? it also looks nice.

MrsWizzard

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
United States

I preordered my "real" copy from amazon.uk as the US Amazon site only offered that godawful mass market cover. :x Around US$30, but more than worth it for a PTerry book. *glances at US$60+ signed Dodger preorder* :shifty:

What baffles me is that I'm pretty sure the US Raising Steam cover was Kidby art. No idea why they would choose to switch back to lazy covers with this one, of all books.

Also, just curious, but is anyone else doing a reread of all the Tiffany Aching novels before getting The Shepherd's Crown?

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

MrsWizzard said:
I preordered my "real" copy from amazon.uk as the US Amazon site only offered that godawful mass market cover. :x Around US$30, but more than worth it for a PTerry book. *glances at US$60+ signed Dodger preorder* :shifty:

What baffles me is that I'm pretty sure the US Raising Steam cover was Kidby art. No idea why they would choose to switch back to lazy covers with this one, of all books.

Also, just curious, but is anyone else doing a reread of all the Tiffany Aching novels before getting The Shepherd's Crown?
MrsWizzard, the "proper" Kidby cover UK version is available for preorder on Amazon Canada's site (amazon.ca). Total cost including shipping from Canada to the U.S. was around US $24, due to the favorable currency rates. It's being released only a few days after the UK, and would probably arrive sooner.

The original US "Raising Steam" cover was the Kidby cover. I have no idea why it's been changed, other than possibly the licensing time for the Kidby edition ran out?

MrsWizzard

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
United States

raisindot said:
MrsWizzard, the "proper" Kidby cover UK version is available for preorder on Amazon Canada's site (amazon.ca). Total cost including shipping from Canada to the U.S. was around US $24, due to the favorable currency rates. It's being released only a few days after the UK, and would probably arrive sooner.
Oops, wish I'd known that a month ago. :laugh: Not sure how bitter I should be about some of my book collection having traveled better than me, though. o_O

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

MrsWizzard said:
raisindot said:
Oops, wish I'd known that a month ago. :laugh: Not sure how bitter I should be about some of my book collection having traveled better than me, though. o_O
You could always cancel your Amazon UK order and get it from Amazon.ca. They don't charge you until the order is shipped.

Know what you mean about "traveling books". I spent a small fortune "importing" used Corgi DW editions from Across The Pond. Most of the time, the shipping was 4-5X more than the costs of the books themselves.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

Who's Wee Dug said:
German cover
Is it wrong of me to think that Tiffany looks particularly---er--hot--in this illustration? I mean, she hopefully is well over 18 by the time the novel starts, right? :oops:

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012

raisindot said:
Who's Wee Dug said:
German cover
Is it wrong of me to think that Tiffany looks particularly---er--hot--in this illustration? I mean, she hopefully is well over 18 by the time the novel starts, right? :oops:
:| Y'know i'd understand where you are coming from if it was the uk cover you are talking about, with her green dress and lancre/grannys cottage in the background, but this image merely shows her back... Seriously? You think she looks hot at this angle?

She was 16 in ISWM as i recall so she is bound to be 18, if not her early twenties considering the leaps in time between the other books.

MrsWizzard

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
United States

Having just finished my reread of the Tiffany series, she went from 9 to 11, to 13, to 16 (17 at the end of ISWM). So if PTerry followed suit, I'm guessing she'll be around 18-20.

I also double checked, my Amazon UK order is actually about the same as it would be coming from Amazon.Ca.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

simmonds91 said:
raisindot said:
Who's Wee Dug said:
German cover
:| Y'know i'd understand where you are coming from if it was the uk cover you are talking about, with her green dress and lancre/grannys cottage in the background, but this image merely shows her back... Seriously? You think she looks hot at this angle?
Guess that's where we agree to disagree. On the UK cover, she looks totally sexless--like a mannequin. It's one of Kidby's worst illustrations as far as I'm concerned. On the German cover she has much more of a physical "form," her hair is far more "lustrous" and that you can't see her face makes it all the more suggestive. I mean, not quite YA cheesecake, but she's a lot more attractive here than Pterry ever portrayed her in the books (where she always thought of herself as plain).

My guess is that the German illustrator knew nothing about the book and was given a copy of Kidby's cover as a reference and simply decided to use its elements to create a variation of that image.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012

The cover above looks like Photoshop work to me. The hat doesn't seem to sit right, and I don't understand why her necklace is twisted around to the back. If it isn't in the story, I'll assume it was because the cover artist thought we wouldn't realize it was supposed to be Tiffany if we couldn't see the pendant. At the end of ISWM she was "sixteen, more or less" so she's probably at least 18 for this one, if the pattern holds. I seem to recall pTerry saying that if he wrote another Tiffany book it would have to be an adult book, so that's what I'm expecting.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

I Shall Wear Midnight, was certainly heading into the adult realm. The books have grown up along with Tiffany. I must say that I am really looking forward to this book.

User Menu

Newsletter