The Shepherd's Crown - No Spoilers in this thread please.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Re: The Shepherd's Crown - No Spoilers in this thread please

Sister Jennifer said:
What the hell? You guys making comments about Tiffany's 'form' shut up. This is a children's book.
No we're not. We're making comments about two different artists' depiction of Tiffany's form. And, as Tony said, while marketed at the YA crowd, the content of the books has grown to be far more "mature" than the typical YA. Some of the plot incidents--particularly in ISWM--are more disturbing than just about any of the distrurbing plot incidents in the adult DW series.

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012

I decided to properly read the first page of this thread and got quite a scare when Who's Wee Doug mentioned the slipcase only getting 5000 prints... As soon as i saw that i went straight to pjsm prints and lo and behold, they were sold out :eek:

Thank tak waterstones isn't sold out yet hahahaha! Whwew! £35 poorer and damn happy about it!

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria

Sigh. :cry: The limited edition is sold only through PJSM or Waterstones. :cry: As usual, fans in places other than Britain have missed out. :cry:

I wouldn't be so upset, except that this sort of thing seems to happen whenever something really worthwhile happens. When Peter Jackson made his LOTR and Hobbit films, us poor Strayans have to wait almost a year before the limited edition DVD was released in the shops, while USians could get the DVD about four months after the film's been out in the cinemas. It's not fair, I tells ya! *stomps foot irritably* :cry:

It's a similar thing here... would the limited edition be available in Straya? *crosses fingers*

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE

To get the special edition to Ireland I've actually had it shipped form Waterstones to a company in Belfast who then carry it to Dublin where I will collect it. Its actually cheaper than shipping direct here.

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012

If you want to spoil some of the book for yourself before it comes out tomorrow @terryandrob on twitter posted this: http://t.co/4rp7AulOJI a piece of the story. It was a fun read.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon

I am sitting here looking at The Shepherd's Crown. Do I open it & start reading, or, do I not. The very last Terry Pratchett novel ever. Part of me wants to start reading, but the other part says savour the moment. This is the very last book ever. :cry: Then I think, I have all his other books to re-read for the rest of my life, including this one. :laugh: I have just finished re-reading I Shall Wear Midnight, it makes sense to read this latest & last Tiffany novel. What shall I do, because I know when I start it, that will be me reading for the rest of the day?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

WooHoo! Got my Kindle edition just after midnight last night and my two hardbacks arrived this morning in the mail. There's a copy now on its way to Sharlene in Tucson. :)

I have already started it and I am enjoying it.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The Shepherd's Crown **Spoilers Allowed**

This thread is for those of us who have read The Shepherd's Crown, the latest and last Discworld book.

If you haven't read the book, I advise you not to go any further as this thread will be for the discussion of the plot and will probably spoil your reading of the book. :naughty:

***** WARNING SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POST *****

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Re: The Shepherd's Crown **Spoilers Allowed**

I have reached Chapter5, yet to read on & I am crying already. :oops: Need to go do something else for a while now, other than read that is.

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012

janet said:
simmonds91 said:
How rude... There wasn't any need for that jennifer.
Simmonds. You can't mean that you are entitled to an opinion but Jennifer isn't? Really?
Go read what raisindot posted janet. I wasn't saying she shouldnt post her opinion, or that i disagree with her opinion, what i was trying to put across was that she did not need to attack me and raisindot, that she was wrong to tell us to shut up because "its a childrens book" because we were comparing tiffanies character art between two different covers and giving our opinions on both and nothing more.

Besides, jennifer didn't post her opinion, she attacked us. "You two, shut up, this is a childrens book" is not an opinion. I also dont think jennifer was being saracastic when she apologised and if thats the case then she clearly also did the same as you and didnt read raisindots post. Well, i dont care now either way so you two can think what you like, no skin off my back.

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012
Re: The Shepherd's Crown **Spoilers Allowed**

Oh thank Tak hardly anyone has posted here yet, curiosity got the better of me :laugh:

I swear i resisted the temptation! Anyhoo, i did in fact get my slipcase copy in the mail today but i think i'll save that edition and get a standard copy, yknow, so i can read it how i like without worrying about damaging it (the last book must be kept nice and shiny and new and... My... Precious.....)

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com

Still waiting for my copy to arrive, the postal system in rural England can be pretty poor, I have a horrible feeling that if it doesn't get here tomorrow then because it's a holiday here on Monday I will have to wait until September to get started :eek: :eek:

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012

Luckilly for me, my copy arrived today after i came home from work. I was really worried because of my current financial situation (basically i thought i didnt have the money for it in the bank so it might have been cancelled or something? Even though my wages come through tomorrow) happilly when i phoned up waterstones who i ordered it from they said it had been paid for and was on the way, but i should expect a 2-3 day wait for it to arrive. Imagine my surprise when I saw it on my sofa after i finished work today! (i dont live alone btw). What I ordered however is the slipcase edition and to be honest, what with being a mad collector (har har) i kind of want to keep it sealed... Buy myself a cheap (for now) standard copy in town tomorrow :think:

User Menu

Newsletter