The Watch update

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Maybe mourning over the fact that he never got to duel Lord Hong? ;)

Also, I don't think we need tourists in wet Hawaiian shirts, standing on top of hills in rainstorms and holding up lightning attractors and shouting "All gods are sods".

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
On Roundworld, some very early gods (or their statues) were made from lumps of earth -- or rather, clay, baked in an oven.

So, yes -- those gods are definitely sods! :)

(All right, all right. The original quote about Twoflower has him dressed in copper armour and yelling "All gods are bastards". If you want to split hairs ...) :cool:

MrsWizzard

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
United States
Even Rhianna has distances herself from this as much as she possibly could, going by her Twitter. She made a point to correct their billing. She stresses it's not "based on" as BBC America shills it, but "inspired by characters created by Terry Pratchett." Tells you all you need to know about how she feels about it. ;):laugh:

I do feel bad, though. People keep attacking her for "ruining her dad's work," and she has to keep reiterating that she has no hand in it whatsoever.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
On Roundworld, some very early gods (or their statues) were made from lumps of earth -- or rather, clay, baked in an oven.

So, yes -- those gods are definitely sods! :)

(All right, all right. The original quote about Twoflower has him dressed in copper armour and yelling "All gods are bastards". If you want to split hairs ...) :cool:
You would need a sharp sword or axe for that Rath.;)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
And stranger things have happened. The tiny version of Jack Reacher got a sequel despite completely missing the point

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
What about "Bride of the Monster"? Or "Glen or Glenda"? ;)

Then again, Ed Wood directed all of those. Plus "Plan Nine" also has Tor Johnson, Maila Nurmi as "Vampiiiiira!", and narration by the Amazing Criswell (a strong contender for the Worst Medium of All Time). So it has all those going for it ... ;)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Rhianna recently pointed out that in the Watch-tv-show's self-congratulatory announcement that basic filming has completed, the screenwriter mentioned how _he_ wrote the first lines of the screenplay, quoted Sir pTerry's lines, and didn't acknowledge the real author.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Rhianna recently pointed out that in the Watch-tv-show's self-congratulatory announcement that basic filming has completed, the screenwriter mentioned how _he_ wrote the first lines of the screenplay, quoted Sir pTerry's lines, and didn't acknowledge the real author.
Isn't that plagiarism? You know - quoting someone else's words as your own? :mad:

The reviews I'm reading are not positive. It seems the man behind all this, thinks he understands Terry's sense of humour, and clearly doesn't!
May I please see one or two reviews? Although ... I shudder to think what the critics may find more objectionable than I can imagine. :(

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The main review I saw was on The Discworld Monthly.

Welcome to issue 280 and yet another month into the 2020 pandemic. Things had started to open up again but it looks like we may well be heading for a second lockdown. The lift on restrictions means that the team making The Watch TV series have just wrapped on filming. This means they can go all out on post production for release in early 2021.
Jason
As Jason just said above, The Watch has just wrapped, and whilst I have done my best to keep my opinion of the show neutral, I can finally admit how I feel about Simon Allen, the showrunner of The Watch.
He seems to genuinely think he is funnier than the creator of the world he has been privileged to play in. He stood on stage at the BBC showcase and stated that Terry would have loved his version of The Watch. This is a man who has never met Terry. Even Terry's family would never profess to know what Terry was thinking.
To claim he wrote the first line of The Watch and then actually fail to thank Terry in his Instagram post was the last straw for me personally.
We thank Terry Pratchett every day for allowing us to play in his world, life wouldn't be the same without his influence.
Rachel

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter