The Watch update

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
It seems odd to criticize a series for being a series.
If you mean me, I'm not criticizing the books at all. I love almost all of them (with the exception of the Rincewind books and The Shepherd's Crown). I'm just supporting the argument made earlier that Pterry did repeat reuse some general narrative conventions in some of his books and they did occur most often in the series. That doesn't make them bad books--it's to Pterry's credit that these books could be so brilliant even when he was reusing plot elements.

Stan does indeed have it - I've had a few friends who braved watching the first episode yesterday. Their comments were almost universally bad (even when trying to divorce it from the books entirely). I'm just not going to bother because I know I'd just make myself feel awful.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Only the gullible ones probably.:laugh:
Edited to update seen this on the Cunning one forum
That article state the have change cheery from a dwarf to a human.
The first episode is online. I thought I would give it a try so started to watch, got to 1:30 and could not watch any further

Last edited:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Thanks for the link, Dug. Not only did I get my new signature from it, but I also got this quote:
On November 6, Neil Gaiman, Pratchett’s co-author on the novel Good Omens, tweeted that he was “so happy” about a film version of Pratchett’s The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. “Now keeping my fingers crossed that Maurice remains a talking cat and that the Educated Rodents aren't a band of steampunk computer hackers on a mission.”

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks for the link, Dug! :) That's given me another reason not to bother.

Just one nitpick -- the author of the article talks of a book called Nightwatch, when it should be Night Watch (note the space). I told you it was a nitpick ;)

This whole mishmash of -- well, stuff -- reminds me of this guy:

gibbon.jpg

Remember him, Dug? ;)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I actually discovered the film of The Amazing Maurice while idly looking up the Wikipedia article for The Watch. Hugh Laurie as Maurice...I can see that, actually.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Thanks for the link, Dug! :) That's given me another reason not to bother.

Just one nitpick -- the author of the article talks of a book called Nightwatch, when it should be Night Watch (note the space). I told you it was a nitpick ;)

This whole mishmash of -- well, stuff -- reminds me of this guy:

View attachment 2379

Remember him, Dug? ;)
Historically inaccurate Rath, but it still warmed the cockels of my heart as an entertaining film, and made many people aware in far flung nations that the UK is not just England.

Edited to add!! This might interest you Rath Mel Gibson sculpture finds new home in Ayrshire after 10 years at Stirling landmark.

Last edited:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Only the gullible ones probably.:laugh:
Edited to update seen this on the Cunning one forum
That article state the have change cheery from a dwarf to a human.
The first episode is online. I thought I would give it a try so started to watch, got to 1:30 and could not watch any further
I'll be gullible and give it 5 minutes . Just so I don't get people saying I'm judging it without trying . I am going to try then judge the hell out of it

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Historically inaccurate Rath, but it still warmed the cockels of my heart as an entertaining film, and made many people aware in far flung nations that the UK is not just England.

Edited to add!! This might interest you Rath Mel Gibson sculpture finds new home in Ayrshire after 10 years at Stirling landmark.
Heh. Of course the UK isn't just England! :) There's Scotland and Wales too. (I'm not counting Northern Ireland, because I'd rather not get into the English-Irish quagmire -- i.e. both sides claiming it's theirs, and the whole "Cromwell atrocities" thing that started it all). :(

As for William Wallace ... hmm. The statue at the Portrait Gallery, or the statue at Aberdeen seems a more realistic portrayal than the stained glass window; I'm not too sure about that dragon on Wallace's helmet in the stained glass window, and if Wallace's claymore was that large, he wouldn't have used a shield that big. ;) He might have used a targe, though - wikipedia tells me it was used between the 13th and 16th centuries, which fits Wallace's lifetime nicely. :)

(I hope don't take this as disrespect to Wallace, by the way. I'm not trying to judge either him or anyone else. I'm just thinking of how realistic, or otherwise, his various portrayals are; the Mel Gibson one certainly isn't, but at least it drew attention to him, so that's good). :)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
He was a very tall muscular (with large hands) man I have seen the replica sword at the Wallace monument so I have no reason to doubt the size depicted. I had posted some photos on the forum a few years ago of my visit there.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Copy of a post on the DW emporium.
So episode 2 is also out and as the title of the episode is "Ook" my curiosity was peaked as to how they would do the Librarian and they Wizards.
All I can say is there is a saying "Curiosity Killed the cat" and NOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!! how could they the b£$%^*ds
(they must be a glutton for punishment for watching it.)

User Menu

Newsletter