Unseen Academicals

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Review from Play.com:

Football has come to the ancient city of Ankh-Morpork - not the old fashioned, grubby pushing and shoving, but the new, fast football with pointy hats for goalposts and balls that go going when you drop them. And now, the wizards of Unseen University must win a football match, without using magic, so they're in the mood for trying everything else. The prospect of the Big Match draws in a street urchin with a wonderful talent for kicking a tin can, a maker of jolly good pies, a dim but beautiful young woman, who might just turn out to be the greatest fashion model there has ever been, and the mysterious Mr Nutt (and no one knows anything much about Mr Nutt, not even Mr Nutt, which worries him, too. As the match approaches, four lives are entangled and changed for ever. Because the thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football. Here we go! Here we go! Here we go!
:laugh:

Looks as if I may have to order my copy from there as I'll be in Arizona when it comes out on 8th October. Still - the delivery is free and the cover is NOT the us cover.

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
I love the way the US cover makes it look like American football, with people jumping up to catch it. Why ARE they trying to catch it?

Just out of interest, why do US editions have inferior pictures on their covers? The Nation cover was stunning in the UK and awful in the US. The same could be said about any UK/US cover comparison.

:hides head in shame: I am Not an Animal... We don't have control over the US publishing industry. They are pandering to small-minded, narcissitic, un-mannered, twits. Those of us who are really interested in the book, look past the cover and simply breathe in the words that we have eagerly awaited.

The publishing industry is a lot like Hollywood when you get right down to it. grumble, grumble, :kicks a rock: :hurts toe: ow. :pout:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I have to say that having owned all the British books and seen all the US books (as Sharlene has them), I really don't mind the US covers. If I'm honest I never cared for the Josh Kirby ones and I find the Paul Kidby ones a bit intrusive as to what the characters look like. It's like watching a movie of a much loved book and then having a particular actors looks and voice stuck in your head when reading that book.

The important thing is not the cover but what's inside. ;)

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Not that I would encourage copy infringement but I cant see it to difficult to copy and paste a cover to replace the horrid ones so they look the part in your book collection, I think that would be a terrinle thing to do... honestly ! ;)

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Tonyblack said:
I have to say that having owned all the British books and seen all the US books (as Sharlene has them), I really don't mind the US covers. If I'm honest I never cared for the Josh Kirby ones and I find the Paul Kidby ones a bit intrusive as to what the characters look like. It's like watching a movie of a much loved book and then having a particular actors looks and voice stuck in your head when reading that book.
a. I loved the Josh Kirby covers.

b. I like the Paul Kidby covers.

c. If the last sentence is true, why do you listen to the audio books? o_O

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
poohbcarrot said:
Tonyblack said:
a. I loved the Josh Kirby covers.

b. I like the Paul Kidby covers.

c. If the last sentence is true, why do you listen to the audio books? o_O
First of all I don't listen to all the audio books - I only have 3 of them and I use them on an MP3 player for long trips when reading a book is difficult. I'd rather the books were just read rather than charcter voices put on then, but that's the way they are and although I don't particularly like it, I'll put up with it.

Actually, after meeting Terry for the first time, I heard his voice when I was reading the actual books. :)

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Tonyblack said:
I'd rather the books were just read rather than charcter voices put on then
Actually, the audiobooks made me imagine the character's voices while reading the books and, for me, it made the reading a lot more interesting. Sometimes I even imagine scenes as a sort of cartoon film, because I'm drawing the characters.:laugh:
The whole thing sounds a little odd, but I've got a very lively imagination. :)

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
Tonyblack said:
By the way - Play.com doesn't ship to the US free of charge (I found out) only to Europe.
Looks like I may have to use Amazon.Canada instead. :)
Tony, Amazon.ca will kill you with shipping.

I pre-ordered (is that even a word?) from Borders and since they must ship it to me, there are no postal charges. Borders, Chapters, Waldenbooks --all the same outfit.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Trish said:
Tonyblack said:
By the way - Play.com doesn't ship to the US free of charge (I found out) only to Europe.
Looks like I may have to use Amazon.Canada instead. :)
Tony, Amazon.ca will kill you with shipping.

I pre-ordered (is that even a word?) from Borders and since they must ship it to me, there are no postal charges. Borders, Chapters, Waldenbooks --all the same outfit.
:laugh: I mean that I'll be in Tucson when the book comes out, so I'll order it from Amazon.Canada from there. ;)

Watchman44

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Tiverton Devon
Just seen this on the Cunning Artificer's website, it might be of interest to those in the UK.

"The new Discworld novel, entitled 'Unseen Academicals', is scheduled for release on the 8th of October.

Football has come to Ankh-Morpork, and the wizards must rise to the challenge without the aid of magic! With a host of new characters and some jolly good pies, the book promises to prove that football is not just about the game.

To honour the launch of the book, publishers Transworld are hosting an event right here in Wincanton. The sports ground is set to be the scene of a good old-fashioned bout of the beautiful game on the 10th of October. Terry will of course be very much in attendance and we promise to keep Dibbler away from the pies! We would like to invite those who wish to attend to dust off their rattles, knit suitable scarves and polish up on songs for the terraces.

If you would like to be a part of this historic event then please let us know as soon as possible by emailing Isobel at isobel@cunningartificer.demon.co.uk so we have an idea of numbers. Accomodation will doubtless book up early so be sure to plan ahead to avoid disappointment.

As ever, streakers will be punished heavily so those who wish to come in costume will be very welcome to do so. " ;)

User Menu

Newsletter