What Are You Reading? 3

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
The Mad Collector said:
Going through a Jeeves and Wooster marathon at the moment. The three volumes of short stories folowed by the 11 novels. Up to novel 4 (The Mating Season) so far. :laugh:

If I told you how much I love PG Wodehouse, you'd feel sullied and unusual.

I have recently purchased a few Blandings Castle novels which I'm bursting to read.

Onya Mad, it's always a pleasure to know someone who reads Wodehouse. I hope you enjoy every single word of them.

Apr 29, 2009
London
Blandings has been made into a series, and is currently showing on BBC1 early on Sunday evenings.

Saw the first one, and haven't seen any of the others! Great cast, but it didn't tickle my tickley bits at all.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Sister, I think I've ready everything Plum ever wrote, including many of less-then-steller early novels and short stories.

His characters and stories had as much as depth as tin foil, he used the same four plots over and over, and his characters never left their artificial bubble of the 1920s. Yet, other than Pterry perhaps, there's no other writer, English or otherwise, who could consistently raise the most cliched and dog-eared plot point into euphoria with one of his crystalline perfect phrases or lines of dialogue.

Alanz

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2012
That's one of my very favourites, I hope you enjoy it.[/quote]

Yes it's a good story line, actually i've nearly finished it. It doesn't take me long usually especially when i'm on Nights :laugh:

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
raisindot said:
Sister, I think I've ready everything Plum ever wrote, including many of less-then-steller early novels and short stories.

His characters and stories had as much as depth as tin foil, he used the same four plots over and over, and his characters never left their artificial bubble of the 1920s. Yet, other than Pterry perhaps, there's no other writer, English or otherwise, who could consistently raise the most cliched and dog-eared plot point into euphoria with one of his crystalline perfect phrases or lines of dialogue.
Well said raisindot. I like his sense of humour and his piss-taking of the well-to-do. Most of all, like you said, it's his use of words and phrases that keeps me reading & re-reading. He's a master wordsmith. It was from reading blurb's on DW books, such as, 'Pratchett is a modern day Wodehouse', that got me wondering who this Wodehouse was. I'm glad I found out.

Happy reading :)

majomull

Lance-Corporal
Sep 25, 2012
Chicopee, MA. USA
Howard Andrew Jones' two novels : "Desert of Souls" and "The Bones of the Old Ones." Sword and sorcery set in ancient Bagdad. Robert E. Howard meets The Arabian nights. Very enjoyable.

Alanz

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2012
Another book done ( "Monstrous Regiment" ) it was a good read. I've just started "Feet of Clay", I love The Watch series of books Sam Vimes is brilliant. :laugh: :laugh:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Grabbed another Merrily Watkins book from the library, but didn't realize it's several books on from the first. Obviously a lot has happened. Don't know if I should just go ahead and finish it or stop and read them in order.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Jeeves and Wooster marathon continues, now reached novel 4, Joy in the Morning. I've read all of them before, some several times but never one after the other or even in the right order. I'm really enjoying it as I get immersed in the characters and the sheer quality of the writing. I've got my father reading the short stories now :)

Good to see fellow Wodehouse fans around :laugh:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
My M.I.L. bought me The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. Haven't read anything else of his. Heard people rave about The 5 People You Meet in Heaven, but never had an interest in reading it. Can I just say that this book is mind-numbingly boring? Has anyone else read it? I think it's destined for the donation bin.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Catch-up said:
My M.I.L. bought me The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. Haven't read anything else of his. Heard people rave about The 5 People You Meet in Heaven, but never had an interest in reading it. Can I just say that this book is mind-numbingly boring? Has anyone else read it? I think it's destined for the donation bin.
My MIL gives us dull DVDs, I don't know why. We lent her Keeping Mum and she loved it, so now she knows better - lend her a Pratchett ;)

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Don't know what she would make of a Pratchett! :laugh: It would definitely have to be Good Omens though. :cool: She gives us weird DVDs as well. She bought us Escanaba in da Moonlight (I think that's what it's called) about a hunting trip in the UP (upper peninsula of Michigan). I think she got it for us because it was written by and stars Jeff Daniels. He was born here and still lives here, although I've never figured out where exactly. We've never even watched it. That's another one I should donate.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Catch-up said:
I can't stand him. "Five People" was like a spiritual Nicholas Sparks book--sentimental, cloying, manipulative. His first bestseller "Tuesdays with Morrie" painted the Morrie of the title as this benevolent, wise, Buddha-like saint. Well, I was working at Brandeis University (where Morrie was a professor), and Morrie was a frequent visitor to the school where I worked. He was a cranky, imperious, self-important academic snob who didn't want to talk to anyone without a Ph.D. unless he wanted them to do something for him (like get him coffee or be his wheelchair rickshaw boy). Approach Albom with a grain of salt.

Apr 29, 2009
London
Ghost said:
both of my local libraries don't have any Jim Butcher books :-(
but he sound like a author I'd love to read

I might have some lurking about my flat that you could have.

If I haven't given them away to someone else!

I'll have a look tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Menu

Newsletter