What are you reading?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GREEBO

Jul 28, 2008
manchester
I am reading Priestess of the white by Trudi Canavan.
I have just finished the firt three of her books and they are very good, well paced and I found them absorbing. So as a result I am now reading the first in a new series she has written, so far so good.

Jarmara

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
www.brisinga.co.uk
Currently re-reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman which rocks even better the second time around.

I've just finished being absolutely addicted to Mike Carey's Felix Castor novels and eagerly awaiting the release of the next one in October and if I haven't got my weeks mixed up my current favourite comic book - Garth Ennis' The Boys - should be out today so I'll be reading that as soon as I'm back from the comic shop.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Jarmara said:
Currently re-reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman which rocks even better the second time around.
Oh I love that book! Have you read Anansi Boys yet? :laugh:

I saw a first edition hardback of American Gods in a charity shop yesterday and was tempted to buy it - but it wasn't in the greatest of conditions.

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Neverwhere and American Gods are my favourite Gaiman books (as well as Good Omens of course!).

The TV series of Neverwhere produced by Lenny Henry was also quite good despite a low budget and thought Paterson Joseph made a fantastic Marquis de Carabas, pretty much how I imagined him.

silverstreak

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
Llanelli,Wales
non discworld books

My most favorite author is of course Pterry but I do have a close second in the shape of Tom Sharpe.Just finished The Midden again,I think that his most accomplshed book is Porterhouse Blue.

Witch from Lancre

Lance-Constable
Aug 4, 2008
West Yorkshire
I love Tom Sharpe but all his books are still up in the roof space with everything else.

I have been re-reading Frank Herbert's Dune books and am now half way through Chapter House Dune, the last one.

Nausica

Lance-Constable
VesuvianRuin said:
Currently reading the Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan (who passed away in 2007).

The Wheel Of Time books are absolutely fantastic classic fantasy. There are overtones of Tolkein in this epic story. There are currently 12 books (including a prequel) and a thirteenth on the way. Jordan had nearly finished the final book in the series when he died but left enough detailed notes for the book to be finished for him (due 2009, finished by Brandon Sanderson).

The story revolves around 3 friends, Rand, Mat and Perrin who unconsciously and unwillingly shape the world around them and the actions of the people they encounter. There are the friends of the 3 protagonists, the mysterious Aes Sedai who use the One Power (think Jedi Force mixed with magic) and the lives of the people that these characters touch.

I am now on the fifth book in the series and have already bought up to book 9 in anticipation. I am really loving these works as you can immerse yourself in them totally.

A recommended read.
I love these books. :laugh: Recently read them all again, it was great picking up some of the details and connections I'd missed previously.

At the moment I'm rereading another series - the Tomorrow series by John Marsden. I've nearly finished the first book, Tomorrow When the War Began. These are teen fiction books about the consequences an invasion has on eight teenagers. They're pretty good (with a very Australian feel!), highlighting a lot of questions about morality - and mortality - that people sometimes find themselves struggling with. They're also very action-packed.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've just started to read the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien (you know - Master and Commander ;) )

I've been hearing about these books for years and even have most of the series already. I just haven't got around to reading them yet.

This series and the Hornblower series were part of the reason that Bernard Cornwell created Richard Sharpe. :laugh:

Statsman

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Here
Very good books. I enjoyed them. If you like these Tony, I can recommend Alexander Kent (Bolitho series) & Julian Stockwin (Kydd series).

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Statsman said:
Very good books. I enjoyed them. If you like these Tony, I can recommend Alexander Kent (Bolitho series) & Julian Stockwin (Kydd series).
Thanks! I've actually started to pick up the Alexander Kent books as I see them in charity shops.

I'm sure you know that he also writes WW2 sailing books under the name Douglas Reeman. :laugh:

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Right now I'm reading K-PAX III - The Worlds of prot by Gene Brewer. If you've seen the film to the first one, disregard what happens in it. I like these books, because they play up to my interest in clinical (and to an extent forensic) psychology.

When I'm done this, if I will either go back onto a Pratchett book like Thud or The Wee Free Men, or will re-read Philip K Dick's A Scanner Darkly.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I lost all my Philip K Dick books - I had a whole stack of them. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was my favourite - in some ways I prefer it to Blade Runner.

MJ

Jul 29, 2008
Ireland
shadowsatsunset.blogspot.com
Fantastic Thread! Great to see what other people are reading - if we are all tickled pink by the same great Pratchett, then odds are that this thread will have some excellent recommendations!

Recently read Neverwhere and thought it was the most brilliant book I'd read in ages - dived into Anansi and the rest but honestly, Neverwhere is more mind-bending than the rest, I wholeheartedly recommend it!

For those who were reading war novels, Winter in Madrid is great by CJ Sansom, it's a nice holiday page turner, makes you think but not too much...

Cannot highly enough recommend Pullman's Dark Materials - all 3 are thrilling - enjoy!

At the moment I am struggling through a slightly disappointing Philippa Gregory, The Queen's Fool. I was looking for a page-turner (it's raining a lot and Nation won't be out for ages!) and someone recommended it. I won't be passing on said recommendation ;)

Alas I am one of those people who cannot leave a book unfinished, even if it is pants! I'm fighting to the end of this one, it may be one of the few I actually discard - shocking!

I think I'm going to take a leaf out of many of your books and start re-reading my favourites again... OK enough rambling!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Neverwhere was a really good book and the adaptaion on TV a while back was pretty good too. I think American Gods has been my favourite of Neil's books so far though. :)

I'm still reading the Patrick O'Brien book, but have got my next book lined up.

After all these years I've never got around to reading the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I started once but got so fed up waiting for something to happen, that I gave up. But I've decided that I'm going to read the trilogy this year come what may.

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Menu

Newsletter