What are you reading?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Statsman

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Here
Ah the book that got me hooked on fantasy at 11. :laugh:

Just finished Midnight Tides so am starting The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson

RACKU

Lance-Constable
Aug 15, 2008
Australia
Uhhmm.
Night Watch, to tell you the truth. I wouldn't have found my way to these forums if I hadn't started it :p
I'm also reading Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden, and the Bible (this, coming from a fantasy fan? xD)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tonyblack said:
Currently reading Fellowship of the Ring. I've made myself a promise to read the series this year. :)
It's worth it, only sometimes you might not think so! Grit your teeth and push on through (maybe you'll find them easy though).

I'm reading Middlemarch by George Eliot, for a reading group, so I'm going to have to speed it up cos it's a massive 800-odd pages.

:laugh: Currently I am enjoying "The Hitchhiker´s Guide to the Galaxy"

-I got very bored and depressed, so I went and plugged myself in to its external computer feed. I talked to the computer at great length and explained my view of the Universe to it.
-And what happened?
-It committed suicide.

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Marvin is great! It's strange that the only time he made me sad was when he experienced his happiest moment ever. When he saw the creator's message. I don't wanna post any spoilers, but it's not until the 3rd or 4th book.

Who wants to get a petition going for the 2nd book to be filmed with William Shatner as the host/comedian in the resteraunt?

I've just started Thud! this is my first read of it. I love that game, I need a more challenging opponent though. I only play with my GF just now, and though she perfectly understands the concept she doesn't see my strategies in play. Pretty wierd since our roles reverse at chess, and I don't see her strategies playing out.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
After enjoying Fellowship of the Rings (for the most part) I'm now on The Two Towers and enjoying it so far. Although I have to say that I was a bit shocked at the way it starts and thought I'd lost a chapter somewhere.

I was a bit mystified with Fellowship at the point of Tom Bombadil, who I found to be borderline annoying. I don't see that he actually added anything to the story whatsoever and was glad when the Hobbits finally got to Bree. :laugh:

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Tonyblack said:
After enjoying Fellowship of the Rings (for the most part) I'm now on The Two Towers and enjoying it so far. Although I have to say that I was a bit shocked at the way it starts and thought I'd lost a chapter somewhere.
It probably helps if you think of the LOTR books as one book broken into 6 parts. I heard it mentioned that Tolkein wanted the books as one continual story in one binding. Which could've been a bit off putting to some readers.

Tonyblack said:
I was a bit mystified with Fellowship at the point of Tom Bombadil, who I found to be borderline annoying. I don't see that he actually added anything to the story whatsoever and was glad when the Hobbits finally got to Bree. :laugh:
You'll see why the part where Tom Bombadil features is important when your into Return of the King ;)
Hope I haven't given away too much there.

_________

I'm looking to start Rapscullion next. It's part of James McGhee's Hawkwood/Ratcatcher series. It reads almost like a young adult's book, but it has an appeal if you have an interest in the Regency period in Britain.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
:laugh: The first time I tried to read LOTR it was indeed bound in one huge thick paperback and yes, I did find it intimidating. Apart from anything else I tend to stick with a book when I start it. Having the books with two books per volume makes things far easier.

Actually, Bombadil was a main part of the Council of Elrond, but only to discount giving him the ring. I'll look forward to seeing what part he plays in Return of the King. ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Jinx said:
Ah... I think I've hit you with a red herring, sorry.

...er... you'll see what I mean though =P
Err.. I've read them all & I've no idea what you're talking about! It was a while ago now though. So presumably if he does have a role later on, that also wasn't particularly necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Menu

Newsletter