What are you reading?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Simple question: What are you reading at the moment? Who is it by? And is it any good?

I'm reading a book called Going Postal by some obscure writer named Terry Pratchett. ;)

Really good book full of all sorts of references and allusions. :laugh:

Did you know that"Twelve and a half percent" is an eighth of 100 - A piece of eight? ;)

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
Currently I have the following books on the go...

Game Night by Jonny Nexus

Interesting read - basic premiss is a bunch of gods role playing. The story swaps between the players and their characters. There are some very funny moments especially for those that have dabbled in playing the likes of Dungeons and Dragons.

--

Ill Met in Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber.

This is the first two books in a series of fantasy novels. The two main characters should be familiar with anyone who has read The Colour of Magic. Gray Mouser and Fafhrd are the inspiration for Bravd and the Weasel.

Good fun books if you like sword and magic fantasy.

--

Nation by Terry Pratchett

Terry's new book that is out in September. This is my second read through and I am enjoying it a lot more the second time round. See my review in the next issue of Discworld Monthly.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Moderator - Jason said:

Terry's new book that is out in September. This is my second read through and I am enjoying it a lot more the second time round. See my review in the next issue of Discworld Monthly.
I find that's often the case with Terry's books. I tend to miss so much on the first readthrough. :)

Colin

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
North Warwickshire
Moderator - Jason said:

No spoilers, but ...

I *loved* Nation on first reading, and even more the second time, ... and now my missus (not normally a great fan of DW) is also enjoying it.

Very different to other books by Terry, yet strangely familiar ...

Statsman

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Here
Currently reading House of Chains by Steven Erikson.

A very good series in the 'High Fantasy' vein but also real enough to be believable, i.e. some of the heroes die messily & bloodily

Toothy

City Watch
Jul 26, 2008
England
'Around Ireland with a Fridge' - by Tony Hawks, the comedian.

In a rash drunken moment, Tony bets a friend £100 that he can successfully hitchhike around the whole of Ireland with a fridge in tow. And so the story begins. It's a witty tale of how he takes on the bet, his trials and tribulations, the interesting characters he meets and surreal situations he finds himself in. It's a story full of fun and warmth about the country and its people. I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far! :)

Jul 26, 2008
Finland
The Memory of Earth, by Orson Scott Card.

It's the first book in the Homecoming series. I'm finding it a bit hard to get into it, though I've liked his other novels.

Twankydillo

Lance-Constable
Jul 26, 2008
Salford, England
I've been reading my way through children's fantasy books, lately. Currently it's Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman. I've nearly finished it because it's only a tiny book. Next it'll be Larklight by Philip Reeve.

Statsman

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Here
Currently reading "Who Moved My Cheese?". Book recommended by a cooleague & a very good read for those of us who are experiencing change... and not just change actually.

Dunsurfin

Jul 27, 2008
Just finished "Engleby" (Sebastian Faulks). It left me a little dissatisfied but was provoking and gripping and gave a good insight into the forensic view of an insane killer and, also, the catastrophic effects of mixing diazepam with alcohol!
(Also re-reading Mort - I have to have a Discworld book on the go at all times)

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
Have been reading If I Die in Juarez by Stella Pope Duarte, a really important and incredibly beautifully written book about the murders, mutilations, dismemberments and disappearances of the young women of Juarez, the Mexican city immediately across the border from El Paso, Texas. The book is meticulously researched (took her 3 years to do the research) and exposed her to a certain amount of personal danger. For years, the police and the factory owners "looked the other way" and basically blamed the women for their rapes and torture. But at least of the drug cartels is heavily involved, and they have put a contract out on the woman investigative reporter from El Paso who has written the most about the book (and who is in some ways a character in Stella's book).

It is, in many ways, a harrowing book--because it deals with a dreadful situation. Stella said yesterday at a book group discussion at our library that there are over 5000 "disappeared" young women from Juarez. Most of those who have vanished are between 15 and 25, and a few even younger. Some bodies (or parts of bodies) have been found, but others have just vanished. It's a novel that makes you understand the horror and desparrate hopes of the women of Juarez who have begun to fight back with some success. It also makes clear the real evil that seems to dominate this city where the US has dozens of maquiladora factories, as do other countries. Stella says international attention has already begun to help some, but more is needed. It's strange that we have heard so much about the atrocities in Africa, for example--but the brutal rape, mutilation and murder of 5000 women right across the river from the US has gotten almost no national attention in the US--let alone international attention. Somehow, this has a relation to one of the messages of Monstrous Regiment.

All three of Stella's books, this one and Let Their Spirits Dance and the collection of short stories Fragile Night are now available on Amazon UK. So, I urge some of you to try reading her work. Let Their Spirits Dance is about the continuing effect on families and survivors of Vietnam--and unfortunately is still horribly relevant today. And while it is set in the US--it speaks to all those who have troops fighting in foreign wars.

Periwinkle

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
I just started:

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Garry Kilworth

A Midsummers Nights dream is my favourite Shakespeare play and I love Puck - I played him in Youth Theatre even though I'm a girl lol

So far very entertaining and twisted - just like Terry's stuff -there is an underlying Dark side !!!!

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Currently reading the Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan (who passed away in 2007).

The Wheel Of Time books are absolutely fantastic classic fantasy. There are overtones of Tolkein in this epic story. There are currently 12 books (including a prequel) and a thirteenth on the way. Jordan had nearly finished the final book in the series when he died but left enough detailed notes for the book to be finished for him (due 2009, finished by Brandon Sanderson).

The story revolves around 3 friends, Rand, Mat and Perrin who unconsciously and unwillingly shape the world around them and the actions of the people they encounter. There are the friends of the 3 protagonists, the mysterious Aes Sedai who use the One Power (think Jedi Force mixed with magic) and the lives of the people that these characters touch.

I am now on the fifth book in the series and have already bought up to book 9 in anticipation. I am really loving these works as you can immerse yourself in them totally.

A recommended read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Menu

Newsletter