what gigs hav you been to

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
poohbcarrot said:
Sjoerd3000 said:
yeah the Golden earring are sill performing and very good 8)
This from 2006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dp0uzeawxw
A pleasant song sung by a bunch of old men which needed a 1 minute guitar solo from the guy with the double guitar (which probably was a bass anyway) to make it into a classic.

This was a classic! (love the 70s clothes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeRa3RtBiIU
Yeah Radar Love is a classic 8)
But so is this :laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n9XbqSog7I&feature=PlayList&p=F9990B3C84ACBB35&index=1

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
While idiliy Googling my username one day I discovered that there is a Dutch Acid Techno (whatever that is) band called Tonyblack! 8)

My Dutch friend introduced me to a Belgian group that are really good called Lais. They are a folk group, but I like folk music. ;)

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
poohbcarrot said:
He's still got a powerful voice. That song was a bit better, but the crowd are hardly going bananas, are they? :laugh:
Did the crowd go bananas with Radar Love? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWLfUvTfTHo
Don't think so they didn't even shout RADAR LOVE! :rolleyes: Maybe they didn't brought XTC with them ;)

When the lady smiles is a classic the end 8)

Feegle Rock :laugh: Those SChelmish guys just have to paint themselves blue and then they would be proper Feegles

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Dotsie said:
Catch-up said:
Oh boy, this is going to date me.

Adam and the Ants
Billy Idol
You lucky thing, seeing Adam and the Ants! They are so cool 8)

Saw Billy about 3 years ago I think. He hasn't aged at all. Still got it! This was me: :eek:
A freind and I saw Adam & the Ants play 2 or 3 times. :laugh: Got really lucky one year when a friend's sister let us know that he was staying in the hotel she worked in and was having dinner in the restaurant. So, somewhere around here I actually have a picture of myself with Adam. :laugh: Lucky you geting to see Billy Idol! I would LOVE to see him. He used to make my knees weak. :oops:

The only way I got to see Adam and the Ants was on my cousins cable television. In fact, other than Foreigner and Cheap Trick that was pretty much it for my college days and my mothering days until my oldest turned 14... egads... NO, I Refuse to feel OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There, I said it... LOL actually taking my baby sister and friend and my youngest to see some of the kewlest bands in the world made up for it. Weird Al Rocks... I even hollered "Marry Me!!" during a lull in one of the songs... my son was shocked, but too young to be humiliated by me. tee hee! I am doomed to feel 17 forever. Like the Dean thought to himself in Soul Music... he couldn't actually remember being 17 but he felt like it now, like under your skin was a Red Hot Vest. That is pretty much like I remember it.

My grandmother was chiding me once when I was about 22 and she was 67, she told me to remember my birth control pills, and I was mortified to hear her say in a southern accent... "I remember the Fire" (Fire being pronounced Fahr) I said something like "Oh Grandma" and she just shook her finger at me and let me know that she really did remember it. :oops: I can only hope to embarrass one of my grandchildren the same way. I allmost gave my youngest a stroke when I told him to do more than knock before blundering through my front door, because we might be "busy" the look of shock was hilarious, and even funnier was the loud "Don't EVER say that to me AGAIN!" Muahahahahaha!! Children these days... tch tch tch :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm said:
Youth is wasted on the young :laugh:
yep, that it is. All that blasted energy I see at the markets with young ones running amok, doing nothing that seems constructive but having all that energy. If only we could have one day a week like that when we grow up, without physical repercussions. :sigh:

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
I allmost gave my youngest a stroke when I told him to do more than knock before blundering through my front door, because we might be "busy" the look of shock was hilarious, and even funnier was the loud "Don't EVER say that to me AGAIN!" Muahahahahaha!! Children these days... tch tch tch :laugh:
:laugh:

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Couldn’t resist resurrecting this thread.
Due to the ravishes of time in no particular order

Led Zeppelin x 8
Pink Floyd x 7
Deep Purple x 3
The Who x 3
The Rolling Stones x 3
Hawkwind x 3
Genesis (The sold out version)
David Bowie
Rush
AC/ DC
Queen
Jimi Hendrix
The Kinks
Bruce Springsteen
Meatloaf
Bob Segar and The Silver Bullet Band
The Eagles
Roger Waters
The Groundhogs
Rory Gallagher
Roxy Music (The real Roxy Music not The Bryan Ferry Band)
Supertramp (Before ‘’Breakfast over America’’ when they were good)
Cream
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Santana
Rod Stewart and The Faces
The Doors
Jethro Tull
The Moody Blues
Ten Years After
Focus
Dire Straights
Van Der Graff Generator
The Blues Band
Eric Clapton
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
10cc

Apologies to all the bands I’ve forgotten due to the excess of alcohol and strange cigarettes

The first time I saw Led Zeppelin I paid 12/6d for the ticket. I paid 15 shillings to see Pink Floyd the first time around. I saw The Eagles in Canada and the tickets cost $20.....Recently The Eagles played the MEN Arena in Manchester and the tickets were from 60 quid. I’d love to go to more concerts but with bands charging that kind of money I’m forced to wait for the inevitable DVD to be released.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
I used to have Ten Years After Live double album. That Alvin Lee could play a mean guitar.

Were you at Knebworth to see Zeppelin? I was - first concert, with Chas and Dave! and other assorted dross.

Apart from Dire Straits I don't think any of the rock dinosaurs you mentioned started after 1970, did they?

Mind you I used to like Focus.

Kladivo

Lance-Corporal
Nov 4, 2009
Uberwaldleedsgothamerbyshire
My first answer would definitely be: NOT ENOUGH :twisted:

Those that I've been to in no particular order are though:

Siouxsie and the Banshees
Rammstein (supported by Clawfinger)
Sting x2 (the only time Sting and Rammstein are going to be next to each other on any list... One of the Sting ones supported by Alanah Miles and then Page&Plant - the most boring supporting act ever!)
Depeche Mode
The Cure
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Einstuerzende Neubauten (13 years waiting for this one)
The Sisters of Mercy (12 years waiting...)
Die Toten Hosen
OMD (very little I was, can hardly remember)
Clan of Xymox (allegedly, too small to remember)
The Legendary Pink Dots (not exactly... didn't get in, had to stay outside, but the windows were open and the company was fun :)
Simple Minds (now, that's what I call disappointing)
Echo and the Bunnymen (Bingley Festival last year, just wanted to hear The Killing Moon live :)

And I got a free ticket to Tina Turner once so I went just for the sake of it. But she sang We don't need another hero so it was allright.

And hopefully Gary Numan next Wednesday!!!

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Morning Poohcarrot,

I never made it to see Led Zeppelin at Knebworth. I saw them in the very early days at Owens Union, The Free Trade Hall, St Georges Hall and the Hard Rock all in and around Manchester.

The first concert I went to see was Pink Floyd performing Atom Heart Mother at The Free Trade Hall and I think that was 1969 so most of the bands I saw started mid sixties and the beginning of the seventies. Notable exceptions being The Who and The Stones who have been around forever!

I’m now closer to my sixties than I’d like to be but can still just about remember some brilliant performances.

I agree Alvin Lee was a bit handy!

I thought Focus were a good band and saw them at the Hard Rock but I do remember very clearly being disappointed with their performance. They really couldn’t handle Hocus Pocus live.

I think the best concert I saw was Led Zeppelin’s Manchester gig to promote Led Zeppelin 4 that would have been 1971. It was so good I went and got a ticket for the St Georges Hall gig the following night. It would have around that time I started to go deaf :laugh:

Happy days.

Kladivo

Lance-Corporal
Nov 4, 2009
Uberwaldleedsgothamerbyshire
I'd say... A decent band with a few very good songs and one of the biggest indie anthems of the 80's but I wouldn't understand how they could be someone's favourite band :) Just not enough charisma and cult following for me :)

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
”Mac remains the thinking person's rock icon, exuding an effortless cool, alien otherness, and unmatchable quotability. The sheer emotive expanse of his vocals is inimitable, and his unique (often oblique) lyrics are equal parts Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen, metaphysical metaphor, and Scouse smirk.”

Am I the half of half-and-half
Or am I the half that's whole?
I've got to be one with all my halves
It's my worthy earthly goal

Are you the heavy half
Of the lighter me
Are you the ready part
Of the lighter me

When I came apart
I wasn't made of sand
When you fell apart
Clay crumbled in my hands
Long way a life load
Statues and haloes

Am I the half of half-and-half
Or am I the half that's whole
Am I the half that's whole
Am I the half that's whole

Are you the wrongful half
Of the rightful me
Are you the mongol half
Of the cerebral me

When I came apart
I wasn't made of sand
When you fell apart
When I came apart
I wasn't made of sand
When you fell apart

If we exercise just some control
When we exercise our sum control

Oh isn't it nice
When your heart is made out of ice
Oh isn't it nice
When your heart is made out of ice

Are you the heavy half
Of the lighter me
Are you the ready part
of the hesitant me

Am I the "shall" in po-ten-tial
Or am I the "suck" in "cess"
Pools of delusion
Deluge me
Am I the more or less
Am I the more or less
Am I the more or less

When I came apart
I wasn't made of sand
When you fell apart
When I came apart
I wasn't made of sand

When I was the Cain
You were the Abel
When I came apart

:laugh: Sheer class! What more can I say?

User Menu

Newsletter