what gigs hav you been to

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

chuckie

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Corby
Kladivo said:
See, I'm not that much into lyrics. I forged my musical taste (mostly) before I've learned a word of English and that's how it stayed. Music and the sound of the voice is all I'm concentrating on.
Being partially deaf, this is exactly what i hear music.

chuckie said:
Kladivo said:
See, I'm not that much into lyrics. I forged my musical taste (mostly) before I've learned a word of English and that's how it stayed. Music and the sound of the voice is all I'm concentrating on.
Chuckie, I love your signature. Very true that is. I have two grown sons and had to learn to choose my battles carefully, or be in battle all the time. :laugh:

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
Oh, Thank you Mortimer! ((hugs)) oh dear, I hope they are allowed, what with the straight jacket and all. :laugh:
It's been so long since they allowed me to have visitors never mind a hug :oops:
Maybe it's as well they keep me confined.
The Who were one of the best live acts I've seen and certainly one of the loudest. Pardon I heard that :laugh: :laugh:
Nice to meet you and thanks for the hug

chuckie

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Corby
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
chuckie said:
Kladivo said:
Chuckie, I love your signature. Very true that is. I have two grown sons and had to learn to choose my battles carefully, or be in battle all the time. :laugh:
Got that line from Theif of Time. My mother was an infants school teacher (4 to 7) so Susan dealing with the children seemed so true to me.

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Two weeks ago to a band called "Pepper Jack" in Lucerne. They're a Rock & Blues cover band and they are brilliant. They've asked my dad to be their new vocalist because the old one is going. His first gig will be on new year.
Can't wait. I've never seen him on stage before.

The only big one was Bryan Adams some three years ago on his Anthology-tour. The man's amazing! The whole crowd sang along with his songs and when Summer of '69 came on, they didn't want to stop! He had to go on to the next song because it got too long :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I went to the Versus Cancer gig at the MEN Arena last weekend. It was good, but not really worth £50 o_O It was a bit of a nostalgia trip really, very "Manchester" - Happy Mondays played, which was a lot of fun, but only during the two or three songs they played that weren't obscure. Snow Patrol played as well, and James headlined.

There was a lot of Reebok worn that night (except by Mr D, with his new glasses he looks a bit like Morrissey)

janet

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2009
North East England
Going back a century or two to my youth I saw play live:
The Beatles
Roy Orbison
Gerry and the Pacemakers
The Searchers
The Hollies
The Kinks
The Dave Clark Five
Dusty Springfield
Alan Price
The Swinging Blue Jeans
Jimmy James and the Vagabonds
Steeleye Span
The Spinners
Tom Paxton
Vladimir Ashkanazy (apologies for the rotten spelling Vlad)
....gap of many years until recently........
This year I've seen many friends playing gigs including:
Duke Special at the Sage in Gateshead
David Ford in Carlisle
Thomas Truax
Duke Special again in Newcastle
The Zombies at The Sage
Duke Special at The National Theatre in Mother Courage
and Foy Vance in York....all gigged out for 2009 but booked to see Buffy Sainte-Marie in January if can persuade the doctors not to make me radioactive before then. Would be awful to miss Buffy....she's a legend :eek:
PS Missed out Yes in the early 70s and many orchestras including the Halle every time they played de Montfort Hall in Leicester during the 70s.......oh yes, and I saw Nigel Kennedy play the Bruch Voilin Concerto No 1 (the most well-known one) with the Halle when he looked at most, 12 years old.

And

Lance-Corporal
Dec 27, 2009
NE England.
That's a heck of a list, Janet! The Beatles! Big O! Dusty!

First proper gig I went to was in 1975 at Cardiff Castle, a five-hour marathon, the line up was Thin Lizzy, Man, Steeleye Span and 10cc.
When I was in Germany in 1978 I saw Bob Dylan at the Westfalenhalle in Dortmund. All went quiet when the kids were growing up apart from Duane Eddy, Tommy Roe and The Crickets (the then Mr And was a lot older than me)

I had a spirited burst of gig-going in the Nineties which included the Manic Street Preachers, Pulp (twice), Radiohead, the Lightning Seeds and Page and Plant.

These days it's mostly folky or bluesy acts at our local live music club. In the past we've had Vin Garbutt, (Radio 2 Folk Awards Best Live Act) Kieran Halpin, Jez Lowe, Harvey Andrews, Judy Dinning, Robin Laing and Mike Silver (had a big radio hit with 'A Matter of Pride') plus many others who deserved to be far more famous than they are/were - probably most notably the late John Wright, Adrian Nation and Eddie Walker.

Kieran Halpin's long been my favourite but John Wright had a voice that was magical. He died two years ago and is so missed.

My guess is that you can't embed You Tube on here as you can on some forums but here is an URL for John Wright. The song is Dougie McLean's Down Too Deep - the fantastic fiddle player is Joe Wright (no relation) and the wonderful backing guitar and backing vocals are by Joe Topping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Ql3dj02YI

User Menu

Newsletter