What have you seen recently? 4

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I was at a Veteran's event last week in Swansea. It was a networking event with all sorts of Veterans' charities. There were also talks, including one by one of the survivors of Kajaki. If you've seen the film, he was the combat medic who treated the wounded after they stumbled into a minefield planted by the Russians in Afghanistan. The film is excellent - although somewhat gory. I would highly recommend the film.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I just watched Alita Battle Angel and really enjoyed it. I feel like the film has cut out a lot of the story as it was written in the Manga, but I haven't read that and so I have no idea how close the film is to the Manga.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
The film was still good, and it actually was fairly close. The main change I didn't like was that Desty Nova was on Zalem/Tiphares, when in the manga, he had already been exiled to the Scrapyard for his cruel experiments. The movie actually made the storyline of the manga more coherent, and frankly, the manga was a lot more violent, so toning that down was actually welcome.

Anyway, I finally got around to watching the first episode of the new series of Mythbusters. I have to admit, I don't like the new hosts. They don't have the same chemistry or appeal that Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman did. I already thought the show was getting tired, and I felt it had died a natural death, but these new hosts? I'm not feeling it.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
I found a show that scratches my horror itch remember Creepshow the 1982 horror anthology
has Stephen King all over it
welp it has a TV show now only 6 episodes in all 2 unrelated stories in each episode
it is surprisingly good very good actors even the child actors the house of the head story is one of the best stories of the season. On a down note every now and then it has a bad case of budget but most of the time the directors and special effect artists know how to work around this problem.
If you have fond memories of Tales from the crypt you'd love this.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I do like a good horror, I’ll check it out.

We’re currently enjoying Daybreak on Netflix, it’s a post-zombie apocalypse comedy slash teen romance. Watching Jack Ryan on Prime as well, I’m not sure about John Krasinski in the title role but he might get a lot cooler as the series progresses.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Hey, Dotsie, if you like horror series and don't mind anime, I HAVE to recommend Tokyo Ghoul. True, I can really only recommend the first season of the anime, as the second season derails the character development of the main character and goes away from the more thoughtful plot of the manga, but it's one of the few horror series I enjoy, probably because the horror is only part of the story, and there's a lot of world-building that goes into a series about a cannibalistic human subspecies. That being said, I have to recommend the manga series more than the anime.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Well I've never seen any anime, but that doesn't mean I'm not open to it. I'll have a look, thanks Q.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Well I've never seen any anime, but that doesn't mean I'm not open to it. I'll have a look, thanks Q.
Like I said, the manga is the most superior version of it. The first season of the anime is fine, but the second season, Tokyo Ghoul √A, severely derails the main character's development. The live action film was okay, but had a lot of dodgy CGI and was severely lacking in the heart of the story. It didn't play up the more tragic elements like the manga did. It's still pretty damn gory and disturbing, but the story makes it worthwhile.

TBH, the only other horror manga I really like, Hellsing, goes down the opposite end of the scale. It's basically an action horror series where Dracula fights Nazi vampires. It's dumb, ultraviolent and awesome fun, but I can't really recommend it.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Just watched the University of Central Lancashire's remake of the Doctor Who episode Mission to the Unknown. I loved the way they kept to the production methods of the time, and the fact that they got Nick Briggs to play the Daleks, but other parts...didn't do it for me.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I’ve been watching Michael Spicer’s ‘the room next door’ clips on Twitter (I think they’re also on YouTube). Hilarious!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I just watched Justice League - a DVD that I thought I'd lost! It's actually quite good - although Superman is a kind of Captain Carrot who can do no wrong and defeats the bad guy far too easily. There's such a thing as being too powerful.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
just when I thought I've reached the pinnacle of film weirdness
Japan steps in again and says "Hold my saké "

no I'm not going to say which film I'm watching :p

User Menu

Newsletter