What Will be the next Terry Pratchett film

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Annebn

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Germany
It's not just you, at least I partly agree.

Although I personally really enjoy the films, I've always had my doubt as the wether they would be enjoyable (or even make sense) to someone who wasn't familiar with the stories beforehand.

-I think maybe Going Postal is a bit better in that respect than the first two. Although I'm sure the golems will confuse many, as it isn't really explained in the story what they are. (This was done very well in Feet of Clay, but if you haven't read that...). Like you, I'm not sure the films make anybody want to read the books if they don't already.

That being said, I do want more of them to be made, because I think it's fun to see the books on screen, and see how other people (directors, set designers and actors) imagine the Discworld. It's never going to be exactly how I (or any other one person) imagine it, but that's OK with me.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
TV adaptations do create new readers. The Sharpe TV movies are a good example of this and I've known lots of people who have come to love Bernard Cornwell's books from the Sharpe series. I've yet to meet anyone who, after reading the books, thought the TV series was better though. ;)

Annebn

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Germany
I'm sure TV adaptations create new readers. There are books I have read myself after seeing a TV adaptation. (For example, I hadn't actually read any Jane Austen before seing Pride and Prejudice). I'm just not sure if the Discworld ones do (or not many anyway). I haven't yet heard anyone say they picked up their first DW book after seeing for example Hogfather or Colour of Magic. I'd be very happy to be wrong though!

Personally, I would like to see Reaper Man or Carpe Jugulum as films. I have enjoyed all the ones so far made, loved David Suchet as Reacher Gilt, and preferred Charles Dance over Jeremy Irons as Vetinari - he had just that right touch of genteel sadism I imagine Vetinari to have. Not too sure about David Jason as Rincewind, a trifle too stolid around the waist - I imagine Rincewind as being skinny. Just got back from a holiday in Budapest, where 'Going Postal' was made. Jugula.

Beautiful Dirt said:

I'd like to see a different book brought to life, my preference being a Witches or Watch story. Failing that I can live with Unseen Academicals I suppose :rolleyes: Afterall, who wouldn't want to watch the Librarian play football o_O:
I can't see a Witches tv film being made - the major characters being fat older women for two roles (Dawn French and Miriam Margoyles again) and even the third of the coven is often less than stunning to look at, unless you have a Magrat story (Tiffany is too young, and really not part of the Witches storyline for plot) - I'm thinking of Sky pitching it to viewers who are not Discworld fans. Carpe Jugulem is about the only Witches story that might work, since Magrat is slightly involved but anything with vampires is likely to sell (and I think that Agnes/Perdita is easily the best of the junior Witches, but again you are looking at a character that is not "TV attractive").
Guards stories have more potential, but are also often more ensemble stories - which are expensive in terms of casting; you need a Vimes, likely a Vetinari, the major other Guard (and likely another one = Carrot/Angua, Nobby/Fred), the major villain (and possibly another), and then the rest of the Guards in many scenes. That is a lot of top and second line characters to pay good actors for, and there might be major CGI or other effects for Detritus and Cheery or other species in the Watch for that plot.
Under the circumstances, I think Sky and most producers will go for human hero character stories with as few leads as possible. It is just economics.

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
Annebn said:
I haven't yet heard anyone say they picked up their first DW book after seeing for example Hogfather or Colour of Magic. I'd be very happy to be wrong though!
ME !!! THOUGH I ONLY REALLY SAW THE ADS FIRST !! :laugh:

I AM SLIGHTLY DISAPPOINTED UA IS THE NEXT ONE AS CONFIRMED FOR EASTER 2012 AGAIN A GUARDS ONE SHOULD BE DONE :cry:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
ghostsecurity28 said:
Annebn said:
I haven't yet heard anyone say they picked up their first DW book after seeing for example Hogfather or Colour of Magic. I'd be very happy to be wrong though!
ME !!! THOUGH I ONLY REALLY SAW THE ADS FIRST !! :laugh:

I AM SLIGHTLY DISAPPOINTED UA IS THE NEXT ONE AS CONFIRMED FOR EASTER 2012 AGAIN A GUARDS ONE SHOULD BE DONE :cry:
Have they officially announced this. Wow . Thought there would be a few others better to adapt than UA.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
There's quite a saga involved in a Good Omens movie. It's come close to it several times. Terry Gilliam was up for making it, but it looks like it might have died now. :(

More details HERE. :)

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
pip said:
Have they officially announced this. Wow . Thought there would be a few others better to adapt than UA.

this is what I read on a link dated 31 august:

At the Discworld Convention, which just concluded in Birmingham, Sir Terry Pratchett confirmed that the next Discworld TV adaptation by Sky One would be Unseen Academicals, the most recent Discworld novel (at least until I Shall Wear Midnight is released on Friday). This follows the popular and successful adaptations of Going Postal, The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic and Hogfather.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Well actually he didn't as such. What happened was that Terry and Ian Sharples from Mob Films started talking about what the next film would be and suggested Sourcery at which point a polystyrene football rolled onto the stage and Terry picked it up and asked if they could do anything with this. They then pointedly kept talking about how they couldn't possibly say what the next film would be as there were still ongoing negotiations whilst repeatedly picking the ball up and looking at it.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
UA makes a certain degree of sense. They have found a great location in Budapest for Going Postal, so an Ankh-Morpork story makes sense. Doing a Watch book would mean seriously committing to an actor to play Sam Vimes and that's not going to be easy as we saw with the furor over David Jason and Sean Astin as Rincewind and Twoflower. Vetinari is one thing - but he's only a relatively small part. The casting for Vimes (and Granny if they ever do a Witch book) is going to be crucial and probably controversial.

UA shouldn't have those problems.

User Menu

Newsletter