What would you recommend?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Which of the Discworld books would you recommend to someone as the best one to start with?

Assume they have never heard of Terry or Discworld before.

I think I'd go with Guards! Guards! as it's not only a good introduction to the city, but the Watch as well. We get to see the City, the Watch and how it all works through the eyes of an outsider and a somewhat niave outsider at that. Perfect as an introduction!

But what do you think?

Annebn

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Germany
I agree Tony. But I also think Wyrd Sisters could make a good start, with an introduction to the witches, and their part of the Disc. I think the Shakespeare references would apeal a lot to some people.

chuckie

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Corby
I'd recommend wyrd sisters, guards guards or preferably mort because Death crops up in so many stories.

Would not recommend colour of magic or light fantastic

Twankydillo

Lance-Constable
Jul 26, 2008
Salford, England
I'd go for the Tiffany books, personally. I really like them anyway but also it feels like an introduction to Discworld for younger readers, and might work them same way for others.

But then again it might be better to start with an older book, so you can see how the characters and places have evolved. It might be strange to see all the witches in abundance and then read about the problems when there were only a handful of them. Mort, maybe? The first one I read was about 15 years ago when I was 8 and it was Guards! Guards!

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Well I'm a purist myself, I was sure to read them all in order starting from The Colour of Magic. Of course by the time I had read upto The Monstrous Regiment I learned that technically Strata was the first Discworld novel. Doh!
I know people who are like me in that sense so I'd inform them that The Colour of Magic or possibly Strata are the first chronologically, but I'd probably suggest Pyramids to get your first taste of Discworld. It is a really easy read, it gives a clear insight into the tone of the series (though I'll be the first to admit you can't judge the Discworld series on any one book), and I think it is more likely to appeal to wider range of readers.

I had to recommend a starter book twice in the last couple of years and found it very difficult to do so.

My first book was Wyrd Sisters and then I read anything I could get my hands on. So I read the series mixed up and then re-read it in order (then mixed up again xD).

I think it all has to do with the person who's going to read the books. I'd recommend to start reading in chronological order (but you can dismiss me as being an OCD-ridden control freak) so you can appreciate how the DW and the characters evolve through the stories.

If not, Guards! Guards! and Wyrd Sisters are perfect for a start in my opinion.

I would NOT recommend the Wit and Wisdom of Discworld. A friend told me they were given the book and I thought it would be a mistake. It's a book for people who have already read the books. I think. Not a good start.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I was talking to a journalist on the way back from Tucson in June. We got talking about Discworld - she saw the Assassins' Guild badge on my bag - and when I started to explain about it, she told me that she'd been recommended to read The Truth. I think that would certainly work in that particular case. :)

MJ

Jul 29, 2008
Ireland
shadowsatsunset.blogspot.com
I agree with PTim, absolutely, start at the begining without COM or TLF. As a teenybopper I tried to read Soul Music, got confused but already knew I loved Death, Susan et al, and went back and started with Mort - best decision for me by far. Hooked!

Some of my friends however, have jumped into DW via Tiffany & Co., so I wholeheartedly recommend that route too. It's certainly wise to consider the person you're making the recommendation for! If they love comedy and fun, then there's nobody better than the Nac Mac Feegle. However, if their humour is more on the dry side and they love a good parody with a bit of a pinch, then the Equal Rites or Mort route is a sure winner.

I'd love to be starting off again. I envy my yet-unaware friends sometimes, does anyone else ever feel like that??

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I would encourage people to start chronologically from Equal Rites then once read ER and Mort, go back and read TCOM and LF to put the subsequent books in perspective ie Rincewind's background; then continue through the series.

I stumbled across the DW with TCOM and then enjoyed it enough to continue and worked my way through chronologically. I can be a litte OCD in these things in that I have to read/watch things in order. I cannot just mix anything up!

BlackAssassin

Lance-Constable
Jul 30, 2008
Perth, Australia
I also think it depends on the person who you are making the recommendation to...

However, I ususally start with the Witches series - so Equal Rites/Wyrd Sisters/Witches Abroad/Lords and Ladies.... etc then once they have all been read I would introduce the Guards series - then the Death series and finally Rincewind and the Wizards.

Thats how I started - well except that hubby gave me a copy of COM first and I totally didnt like it so started off with Equal Rites and the rest of the Witches books..... once I got into it I then went back and read COM and LF and it was alot easier to understand.

saphyress

Aug 17, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
Hmmm

I would say either Guards!Guards! or Wyrd Sisters. I actually ready Pyramid first and hated it (but I don't now!), read Guards! Guards! later and was immediately hooked. After I read many others and went back to Pyramids I liked it much better but still not in my top ten of the series.

User Menu

Newsletter