Who is your favourite Who?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Going from another thread, we were talking about who was your favourite version of Dr Who.

I really like Colin Baker and I don't think I did when he first took on the role. I particularly like the way he treats Peri. :laugh: And the way both of them seem to get lot larger as the series progress.

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
Colin Baker put me off Doctor Who for a long time. I loved Tom Baker and really enjoyed Peter Davidson but just couldn't get on with Colin Baker.

I never really watched much of the Sylvester McCoy era. I think they had moved it to weekday afternoon slots by then.

Toothy

City Watch
Jul 26, 2008
England
That's a tricky one. I particularly liked the Tom Baker version and had a soft spot for Patrick Troughton (can't remember why - maybe it was the penny whistle that did it!). David Tennant is just lovely - sigh! I didn't really see the Sylvester McCoy version so can't comment, although he did come and judge the fancy dress competition at a Star Trek Convention 'in character' and seemed engagingly 'dotty'. Hmmmm. If I had to choose just one... I suppose it has to be Tom. :)

Jul 26, 2008
Planet Jendall
Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker and David Tennant.
Was not at all keen on Colin Baker, Peter Davidson, or Sylvester McCoy

Always thought Geoffrey Bayldon (Catweazle) would have been good in the role

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Tom Baker was great but I have to say the new boy, Tennant, is very impressive and arguably better.

I also liked Christopher Eccleston in the role as I thought he brought something new and refreshing to the Dr Who series. The fact that he was a Northerner with big ears also helped! :)

Periwinkle

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Tonyblack said:
Going from another thread, we were talking about who was your favourite version of Dr Who.

I really like Colin Baker and I don't think I did when he first took on the role. I particularly like the way he treats Peri. :laugh: And the way both of them seem to get lot larger as the series progress.
Was I in that?? Dont remember ...... * wanders off talking to self

Periwinkle

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
rentawitch said:
Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker and David Tennant.
Was not at all keen on Colin Baker, Peter Davidson, or Sylvester McCoy

Always thought Geoffrey Bayldon (Catweazle) would have been good in the role
Renta I agree with you entirely!! My my hard to choose between those three. And yes I am old enough to remember William Hartnell - just :oops: oh and the Sea Devils used to terrify me lol

Butcher

Jul 29, 2008
Ok i will list them in order:

Tom Baker (he was my childhoood Doctor and will therefore always be top of the list)
David Tennent
Christopher Eccelston
Jon Pewtwee
Patrick Troughton
Peter Cushing (ok, not one of the ten Dr's But i liked the fims as a kid)
Paul MCGann
Peter Davidson
William Hartnall
Sylevester McCoy
Colin Baker

LadyL

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Frankfurt/Main
Butcher said:
Ok i will list them in order:

Tom Baker (he was my childhoood Doctor and will therefore always be top of the list)
David Tennent
Christopher Eccelston
Jon Pewtwee
Patrick Troughton
Peter Cushing (ok, not one of the ten Dr's But i liked the fims as a kid)
Paul MCGann
Peter Davidson
William Hartnall
Sylevester McCoy
Colin Baker
I have to admit being blissfully ignorant regarding Dr Who :oops: :oops:

ok, my fault but curiosity makes me wonder during which period the a.m. guys were/are active? ;)

Jarmara

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
www.brisinga.co.uk
Hubby is a total Whovian, we have daleks and sonic screwdrivers all over the house along with DVD's and videos of every episode he can find and audio cd's of Who stories recorded after the show was cancelled but using the previous actors where they can. They're not bad.

As a child I couln't bear Colin Baker but had a soft spot for Sylvester McCoy and Ace. Favourite would have be Tom Baker though. Do love the 10th doc though, I have high hopes show will improve under Stephen Moffat next year.

Witch from Lancre

Lance-Constable
Aug 4, 2008
West Yorkshire
It seems strange that I started watching Dr Who as a child, then my children watched it and now the grandchildren are huge fans.

I think that each actor has brought something different to the role. Times have changed and modern filming techniques have taken the program to new levels which can make it far more exciting.

I love David Tennant and will be sad when he goes. My granddaughters will be heartbroken. I really liked Christopher Eccleston. Tom Baker was terrific.

I did not like Colin Baker whatsoever. Paul McGann's portrayal was a disaster. At the time I didn't think that Peter Davidson was all that great either.

As far as companions go I have never been a fan of Elizabeth Sladden dating right back to her day in rep in Manchester Library Theatre. She always acts herself and it was no different when she played Sarah Jane. I don't like Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones and was delighted to read that she will not be in Torchwood. She has been good in other roles though.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Those episodes with Bonnie Langford as Mel are painful to watch - not so much for her overacting, but that SCREAM! :eek: What a pleasant change Ace was. I liked Ace a lot. :laugh:

Jarmara

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
www.brisinga.co.uk
Ace went on to be a dalek killer, according to hubby. Hopefully she had more than the baseball bat by then. I did hear a audio play where Ace had become a rebel queen for a planet suffering under a Big Brother/Soylent Green type government. That was a good one :laugh:

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
i got dragged up with jon pertwee and tom baker and my favourite is tom baker. ive been watching them again on sky and ive got to say they hvent aged well. i do enjoy the new one tho. best assistant has got to be leela, you cant beat an assistant in a leather bikini :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It's really annoying trying to watch Dr Who on YouTube as no sooner do you find someone with a whole batch of episodes loaded up than someone reports them and YouTube deletes the accound or the episodes.

The BBC must be employing someone to search YouTube looking for the things. :devil:

Anyhow (anyWho?) I've been watching some of the really old episodes and seeing Patrick Troughton again. He's great as the Doctor - got just the right mix of seriousness and silliness. I'm also enjoying some of the 'in jokes' like the fact that the TARDIS has a habit of returning to a certain scap yard that was in the first episode.

Gates of I.M. Foreman, Scrap Merchant, 76 Totter's Lane, London

First episode - An Unearthly Child 1963 (William Hartnell)

Attack of the Cybermen 1985 (Colin Baker)

Remembrance of the Daleks 1998 (Sylvester McCoy)

Jarmara

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
www.brisinga.co.uk
Hubby has loads of old episodes, absolutely loads of them. Who is full of stuff like that, this is what happens when you let geeks write for geeks.

Speaking of geeks, hubby has just imformed me that the Dr is actually IM Foreman, he owns the scrapyard and that is why the Tardis goes there.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Not sure he's right there - although I don't doubt the name is significant. o_O

Susan, the Doctor's granddaughter uses the surname 'Foreman' but when Ian calls the Doctor 'Doctor Foreman' he gets quite snotty.

I suppose the joke in the name though is I.M Foreman = I'm for man and the fact that the Doctor spends so much of his time saving the human race. ;)

User Menu

Newsletter