Why aren't they more terry pratchett movies

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Aug 13, 2011
Lancashire
I was thinking that many well known books have been made into high budget films (harry potter, Dune, Lord of the rings), yet the Discworld films so far have all been relatively low budget and simply shown on the TV. However some of the books seem to be very good for adapting to film (Lords and Ladies, Pyramids, Good Omens etc.) Yet few of the books have been made into films and none have been made into high budget films, does anybody know why?

Kin Arad

Lance-Corporal
Aug 22, 2011
London
I think it's very hard to make films out of good books - especially getting the right actors. I'm not sure why they bother trying in some occasions :rolleyes: I think they got lucky with Harry Potter, but maybe it was because they grew up with the roles and were kept under strict surveillance so they didn't turn out funny o_O

SimsKatie said:
Kin Arad said:
Weren't they doing a Good Omens film?
I think it collapsed into development hell. I'm glad, honestly - I'd heard Robin Williams was supposed to play Aziraphale.
:eek: Robin Williams as Aziraphale? Nevah!
But didn't they just recently sign the contract for a movie? Or was that something else? o_O

Ow, and by the way - welcome to the forum, SimsKatie! :laugh:

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
Remember that what you read and see in your mind is totally different from what the films produce. On the rare occasion that the character is right, there is always a flaw in the film somewhere where they introduce something that doesn't exist in the story.

I think it's just not fair to the book.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site, SimsKatie!

Part of the reason I think, is that Terry has been very careful about selling the rights to the books. There's a story that may or may not be true that an American company wanted to make a film of Mort, but didn't want Death in it. :eek:

David Brown

Lance-Corporal
Jul 4, 2011
West Sussex
SimsKatie said:
I think it collapsed into development hell. I'm glad, honestly - I'd heard Robin Williams was supposed to play Aziraphale.
I could see Johnny Depp in the part, but not Robin Williams. Nor Robbie Williams, come to that.

Teppic

Lance-Corporal
Jan 29, 2011
Outskirts of Londinium
meerkat said:
Hi SimsKatie!

Never! That would be as big a mistake as letting David Jason play Rinswind!
On that subject, is Sky's CoM worth watching? I've obviously been aware of it for ages, but only started on the Wizards novels a couple of months ago, so didn't want to watch it before I'd read the book. To be honest, I can't see David Jason as Rincewind. For a start, I thought Rincewind was much younger - like early 30s (is his age ever mentioned actually?)

As Albert in Hogfather though he was great. I thought that was a good bit of casting.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Teppic said:
meerkat said:
Hi SimsKatie!

Never! That would be as big a mistake as letting David Jason play Rinswind!
On that subject, is Sky's CoM worth watching? I've obviously been aware of it for ages, but only started on the Wizards novels a couple of months ago, so didn't want to watch it before I'd read the book. To be honest, I can't see David Jason as Rincewind. For a start, I thought Rincewind was much younger - like early 30s (is his age ever mentioned actually?)

As Albert in Hogfather though he was great. I thought that was a good bit of casting.
There's a bit in the book of COM where Rincewind and Twoflower find themselves in an alternative universe. His character in that universe is described as being 33. :laugh:

To be honest, the films aren't bad. They aren't the books, but they are entertaining.

Sep 2, 2011
Llanbadarn Fawr, Wales
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! My brain is now hung up on Stephen manifesting wings and a sword, and then it devolves into the strangest episode of QI...

How can you have a version of Mort without Death? It would just for Mort standing in the square until the end of creation waiting for someone to hire him.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
SimsKatie said:
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! My brain is now hung up on Stephen manifesting wings and a sword, and then it devolves into the strangest episode of QI...

How can you have a version of Mort without Death? It would just for Mort standing in the square until the end of creation waiting for someone to hire him.
It had more to do with the fact that Hollywood often take a book and completely change it if the author loses control of his work.

But, as I remember it, the film executive thought that the personification of Death might depress people. :rolleyes:

He obviously doesn't know Death like us. :laugh:

Sep 2, 2011
Llanbadarn Fawr, Wales
Tonyblack said:
But, as I remember it, the film executive thought that the personification of Death might depress people. :rolleyes:
Hadn't anyone ever heard of a black comedy?

He obviously doesn't know Death like us. :laugh:
I think this is the biggest trepidation I have about adapting any of Pterry's books. I would love to see them in the flesh, but I'm terrified of them being worked on by someone who doesn't love it we the way we do.

User Menu

Newsletter