Why aren't they more terry pratchett movies

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

David Brown

Lance-Corporal
Jul 4, 2011
West Sussex
Oh, Aziraphale, yes, sorry, definitely Stephen Fry, or maybe Derek Jacobi. I was thinking of Crowley when I suggested Johnny Depp - somehow Robin Williams seemed a closer shoehorn for the demon than the angel, but either way, no.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
SimsKatie said:
Tonyblack said:
I always find the Discworld Death a comfort. When a character dies in the books, the fact that they get to meet Death somehow softens the blow.

:laugh:
Yes, you almost find yourself hoping that's how it will end in the real world too.
While I'd prefer not to die at all, I do agree, though I would actually prefer Neil Gaiman's Death from the Sandman comics.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
SimsKatie said:
Fair enough. But without all the howling skulls in the back, diolch.
Naturally, but it was the best picture I could find of her. It was the cover of a comic book. The skulls were part of the background.

I find her, if not more interesting than Pratchett's Death, then preferable to meet.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Penfold said:
Tonyblack said:
Stephen Fry would be good in the role. :laugh:
For some reason I envisage Sting in the role for Aziraphale and Jack Nicholson for Crowley.
I've always thought that the two characters on the front of the book look like Sting and Gabriel Byrne. :laugh:

I used to think Sting for the role, but the more I think of it the more Stephen Fry seems perfect.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
That's his infamous space-togs from Dune.

He looked right for Feyd-Rautha, but he should have been given more depth by the movie. In the movie, I'm not sure how much of the relatively cunning and intelligent, but still sociopathic young man came through. It's better in the miniseries.

ramtopsman

Lance-Corporal
Aug 19, 2010
manchester
www.youtube.com
Nice to see alot of newer members shows how long I posed haha

Anyway the last I heard was mort was ment to be in talks with disney as a animated film

good omens is in development by prime focus for uk tv along with the watch tv series

mr pratchett is alergic to holywood in his own words

truckers was ment to be in development three years ago by dreamworks bur was pushed aside

tifinay acing series would be good and im guessing there would be a big demand for it off more than one film company aslong as no one messes with the script like they tried to do in the past thats why it never got made (check the interviews on youtube called pratchett alergic to holywood)

feanor

Lance-Corporal
May 24, 2009
Ayup All...

Unfortunately Pterrys Books will 'Suffer' like any other Authors for the Silver Screen. This simple fact is also the Hot topic of Debate over at the Hobbit-Movie.com site. Until I listened to Director Peter Jacksons Commentaries featured on the extended cuts of the LOTR Trilogy, I had no Idea how difficult it was to squeeze so much Information that a Book gives you, ONTO the screen without it being overlong, 'Flabby' and Tedious... There was so much I disliked about the Rings films, minor omissions, Digressions and the Like. Now I know the Story is the thing that ultimately matters, and as long as things aren't too Screwy, small changes aren't so bad.

What's Interesting to me though, is, however 'Allergic' to Hollywood pterry is, he Still let Sky make those AWFUL Mini-Series things.

But I have to Agree Tony, that DWs Death (On paper at least...) is Best of all. He's the one I'd like to see me across the Great Divide... Because I think he cares SO much more about Humanity than many real people do.

ramtopsman

Lance-Corporal
Aug 19, 2010
manchester
www.youtube.com
Ahh the sky adaptations are not so bad I mean as far as hogfather goes its pretty loyal to the book but not everything can ever be put into a 1 and a half hour tv film

colour of magic missed loadsssss out and was possibly the worst one

going postal had a little to much ANTI SMOKING moral thrown into it

the cartoons are pretty faithful but no one person has the same depiction of a character in their head either via manorisms or looks or voice

johnny and the bomb was pretty much to the book if a little on the cheap side

and apart from the bad acting johnny and the dead was pretty close

truckers was beautifly animated and was pretty much to the book nut mainly because it was an episodic series

films like tifanny aching wlll be made in the future but possibly after terry pratchett has gone, this is mainly to do with the fact companies dont like him saying no to the script they hand him, he always wants to stick to the story,

all in all no matter what expectations you have you could never get the result you want

I hope that snowgum films do a great job on troll bridge though :)

feanor

Lance-Corporal
May 24, 2009
Ayup Ramtopsman...

And that's precisely what I was saying: as the Stones say: 'You can't always get what you want'... And I wouldn't mind if a Movie wasn't Quite (within Limitations) 'Right', but when an Author transfers his work to others, they'll NEVER see what he, or Indeed I, see on the back of his/my skull when I'm reading, and he writing. Hopefully somewheres Inbetween...

User Menu

Newsletter