Would you listen to this -

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
I said in a post the other day that Motorhead were close to the top of my list of bands I wish I’d gone to see. At the very top of that list are The Beatles.

The Beatles influenced everyone around them back in the 1960’s. I remember sitting in front of our black and white telly watching one of their first ever TV performances in 1963 and thinking ‘’I’ve never heard anything like this before’’ the whole point was neither had anyone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iim6s8Ea_bE

From that early recording they went on to break every rule in the book and raised the bar to where it had never been before. I still firmly believe that Sgt Peppers played a massive influence on Pink Floyd. Others say The Floyd started progressive rock but I hear bits of The Beatles in almost every song Pink Floyd wrote in the first five years. Sgt. Peppers was for my money THE ground breaking album of the 1960’s and from that point everything else musically just happened.

The second clip is the last public appearance The Beatles made in January 1969. By April 1970 they had all gone their separate ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlWFpdPX45g

I can still hear The Beatles chord structures being used today and let’s face it Oasis who were arguably one of the biggest bands of the last 18 years are little more than a Beatle tribute band.

For me not having seen The Beatles live has left a void almost as big as never having sex would have left. I just can’t imagine what that gig would have been like.

This last clip kind of sums up what The Beatles meant to me. Released in August 1968, Hey Jude was at the time the longest single to top the UK singles chart at just over 7 minutes. It went on to top the American charts for 9 weeks and sold 8 million copies.

August 1968 was also the first time I had sex :) Sadly the single lasted longer than I did :oops: :oops: :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLVywY5EwoA

Kladivo

Lance-Corporal
Nov 4, 2009
Uberwaldleedsgothamerbyshire
OK, that's enough of music that smells of moth balls :twisted:
We all know that everything was much better in the days when everything was much better but the music moved on and thaks gods for that! ;)

Here's one of my favourite voices. Musically the band is inconsistent but that man can sing! Ladies, gentlemen and creatures, I give you
Alexandar Veljanov!

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Kladivo said:
Here's another one. Some might recognise the man as a close friend to Nick Cave and a guitarist in Bad Seeds but here he is with his own German band Einsturzende Neubauten, a legend in the world of alternative music.

Blixa Bargeld
I agree that some of my musical choices have a 'slight' wiff of moth balls about them but sorry Kladivo but I don't understand how Mr. Nebauten can be described as legend.

Maybe my age is catching up with me quicker than I thought and I'm actually turning into my Dad :laugh:

Kladivo

Lance-Corporal
Nov 4, 2009
It's a rather far end of the music scale, sir :)
EN started 30 years ago experimenting with 'music' made of pure industrial noise. Heavy machinery, making sounds of junk, scrap, whatever you can find and they evolved from that. Their music today is very aesthetic but they still record it using a lot of unorthodox objects. As for legendary bit, well they've managed to inspire some generations of artists, including 'big fish' like Depeche Mode.

And changing the mood, another legend of the ALTERNATIVE :twisted: scene:

Controlled Bleeding.

Not original video, of course.

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
In a desperate bid to get back to 2009 after going back 46 years for my last clip :oops: :oops: :oops: and to prove I’ve not completely lost I do like this lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1XUbJEPShE

Is it difficult to change long links into hyperlinks that just say click THIS and they take you to same place. It looks so much more professional.

If anyone can help me don’t forget I’m old :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kladivo

Lance-Corporal
Nov 4, 2009
poohcarrot said:
Kladivo said:
OK, that's enough of music that smells of moth balls :twisted:
Correct me if I'm wrong Kladivo, but isn't Einsturzende Neubauten's The Garden from the last century? :laugh:
Yes, they are but I've never said I wouldn't go there :p And to be honest, those moth balls, well, it's not as much age, as old-fashionableness :) Anything with a guitar solo in it smells of moth balls :twisted:

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
No you won't you're too good a teacher ;)

Thanks for helping an old hippy understand the modern ways and the mystical world of hyperlinking Kladivo

Click HERE

It works...It works....Maybe I'm not turning into my Dad after all

Thank you Kladivo ;)

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Kladivo said:
Pleasure. Nice song, as well. And forgive me, but someone who brings up Primal Scream and RHCP is not allowed to pose for a wrinkler :p
Sorry to disappoint you Kladivo but this is a picture of me on my holidays 10 years ago.

The last ten years have not been kind to me and I can assure I do qualify as a wrinkler. It’s you youngsters that are changing my ideas on music.
Help the Aged

Kladivo

Lance-Corporal
Nov 4, 2009
Just when I was about to change the mood... But then again, no guitar solo in this one either :)

Ajde Jano

In the name of cosmopolitan internationalism.
A Serbian song, sung by an Egyptian artist (Natasha Atlas from Transglobal Underground) with Nigel Kennedy playing violin with a klezmer band from Krakow, Poland, produced by Jaz Coleman (half Egyptian, from Killing Joke).

I'm just not sure if it'll be any good for the wrinkles. :p

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Kladivo said:
Just when I was about to change the mood... But then again, no guitar solo in this one either :)

Ajde Jano

In the name of cosmopolitan internationalism.
A Serbian song, sung by an Egyptian artist (Natasha Atlas from Transglobal Underground) with Nigel Kennedy playing violin with a klezmer band from Krakow, Poland, produced by Jaz Coleman (half Egyptian, from Killing Joke).

I'm just not sure if it'll be any good for the wrinkles. :p
Since the music threads were introduced my ‘’Favourites’’ list on my computer has grown considerably longer.

This one will not be joining some your other fine links.

I think it would be fair to say some of your musical preferences are completely Off the Hook :laugh:

I tend to favour the three chord approach of Status Quo and keep things simple. Simple is easier for winklies :oops:

User Menu

Newsletter