2012 DW Convention ~ Cripple Mr. Onion Card School

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

How do we theme the Discworld Deck? (re-read 1st post please)

• Option A ~ Regional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option B ~ Suit associated (match character to hearts etc)

• Option C ~ Grouped by Series

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Option D ~ Ranked characters (Death = Ace)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Option E ~ Inclusive/Random (all 54 character cards)

• Option F ~ something else? Suggest something then clever clogs!

• Total voters

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Re: Late in the day

NickPretzel said:
I realize that this is very late in the day and I must admit that I haven't read all of this thread yet (I'll be here all night again and I want to follow up on the link you suggested Jan van Quirm) so feel free to ignore my musings.
Really, there were only two (I did read about a dozen or so pages and I am impressed with what you've come up with so far):
  • Has anyone thought of doing a Tarot type deck? Probably too complicated and I would agree with the consensus otherwise.
  • What about Binky and Gaspode? Or even Maurice? Again, probably just complicates matters. After all, you have to draw the line (no pun intended) somewhere.
If you want any help with calligraphy, I'm quite good at that (I did a brief spell of comic book lettering, but, unless you're Todd Klein, the pay is rubbish and you don't get to use any creativity, they just want the run of the mill block capitals). Best of Luck and I'd certainly love to own a deck.
You can call me Jan or JVQ ;)

Thanks for the comments Nick and, like meerkat says, we're definitely doing a Caroc-style Tarot deck for the major arcana in time for the Convention in August 2012. As there's over a year and counting to go we have plenty of time for getting a variety of character cards designed (the ones I've done so far are 'generic' so we have a basic deck to play with that is simply Discworld themed, rather than character specific) using the templates so far which are working OK, so the permutations are wide open and I think Binky and I hope Gaspode and maybe Greebo and possibly Maurice and You could make appearances as the character options are almost limitless if you want to use the template character 'catalogue' that this thread will turn into when our other designers get cracking on this in earnest. :laugh:

On the calligraphy front - if you're interested it would be a help although there will be space restrictions as a matter of course, but on the caroc cards we will want more lettering than on the standard suit cards. I was a graphic designer before I retired and I use my old Adobe pro packages (Indesign and full Photoshop mainly) so I have a good range of fonts but for now have been keeping it very simple and straight-forward with Times New Roman. I've laid out the caroc with a more script-based typeface called Dolphin (bit Art-Deco-ish), but we could make it look more antiqued and use something like 'Blackadder' (that's the typeface used in the booklet a few posts above) which is a Jacobean looking Olde English style type, so if you wanted to try your hand at some typography/font design then it'd be brilliant to have something 'bespoke' along those lines :laugh:

Birmingham, fonts &c

You know, I've never been to a convention of any kind :eek:, but if everyone's as friendly and as interesting as the people here then I'd love to come :laugh:. I'll have to see about dates, finances etc. (I don't even know when it is :oops:)
Could you give me an idea of costs?
As for the fonts, I'll start working on something. Unfortunately, I don't have a tablet, so it'll be pen and paper. If I come up with anything I could mail them to you, Jan, or maybe I'll scan them. Only problem there is that my new PC doesn't have an RS232 (parallel) port, so I haven't managed to hook up my printer/scanner. I think I've got a USB adapter somewhere, though it's quite old, so it probably won't be USB2 (i.e. slow). I'm rambling (just woke up, after nodding off after coming home from work) didn't mean to get technical :)

By the by, can anyone tell me what 'Sticky' means (when referring to a thread)?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Or a 'vocational' qualification in joy riding (or other amusing J's) perhaps? :laugh:

Pen and paper's fine Nick - if your scanner's out of action then we can do it the old fashioned way with regular mail and we have almost 14 months to get sorted still... ;)

The calligraphy would be for the major caroc cards rather than the 'bog standard' playing cards we're covering in this thread so have a look in the other thread for the card descriptions we'll be using - I'll try and post a sample on there some time later this week :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
News just in! :laugh:

Heard from our tame Monk of Cool Eelco this morning - Chairman Brian has approved the forum turtle back design for the convention, so this one

and is begging for a deck himself. :laugh:

I heard from Lyndsey at Transworld last month that she thought it was OK for us to use that design again and would check with their publications people 'just in case'. She hasn't come back to me on that, so I'm assuming that all is fine as she's been in touch since then.

Matter she's come back on was to do with running all this past Colin Smythe as I needed to check his email addy with her - he hasn't responded to me at all despite my sending him a 'reminder' midweek - it's either going straight to spam or he's not interested in replying, o_O I'm assuming he has no objections on Terry's behalf to us playing with this unless I hear back from him sometime soon - unless someone who's had dealings with him has a different email contact for him that isn't the AOL one I used, in which case can you let me know please? :)

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Jan: My experience is that Colin is really good at responding if he has a problem with what you want to do but pretty bad if he doesn't see it as an issue, however it's possible he is away on a summer break and he is pretty well a one man band nowadays so unless more than 3 or 4 weeks have passed then you could still get a response.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
We could do that for the original project concept Macarona but for the convention arm of it I've done this 'generic' deck in case we don't get artwork in time and for us to play about with in the meantime, as we're hoping to take this to the 2012 Birmingham convention for the Cripple Mr. Onion aspect of it. So for that we're hopefully going to have Witches, Wizards, Death's family and the Watch with Rulers, Undead, Gods and Magical court cards for the 8 suits needed to play Cripple Mr. Onion 'properly' ;)

In the original project we're working towards the series-based deck for now but eventually we could provide a 'bespoke' set where you could eventually make up all 52 cards of a classic Roundworld deck as you own mix and/or match set and do exactly what you're sayin,g so this thread could potentially run and run for any character you care to mention provided people are willing to contribute their fanart for it :laugh:

MAD - thanks for that info. Lyndsey said much the same thing and of course as you say it is prime holiday season so I'm not too disheartened over it just yet ;)

A

Anonymous

Ullo,

I just wanted to pop on unofficially and tell you that the response from everyone on the committee that saw the deck was very positive - we all loved it and think it's fab.

Thought that might cheer everyone up a Sunday evening :)

K

User Menu

Newsletter