2012 DW Convention ~ Cripple Mr. Onion Card School

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

How do we theme the Discworld Deck? (re-read 1st post please)

• Option A ~ Regional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option B ~ Suit associated (match character to hearts etc)

• Option C ~ Grouped by Series

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Option D ~ Ranked characters (Death = Ace)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Option E ~ Inclusive/Random (all 54 character cards)

• Option F ~ something else? Suggest something then clever clogs!

• Total voters

SimStars13

Lance-Corporal
Apr 25, 2010
England
I don't remember if this has been asked (or answered), but if you get the permission to use the pictures, will we be allowed to sell (and buy) these playing cards? Or are we only allowed to use them at the con itself?
cheers x

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
No plans to sell these - the project started out as a fanart thing purely for people on this forum to play with using a template which is what I've inputted so far. When we get Cheery, Mystmoon, Bikkit and a few others coming back in and starting to design the court cards for the 8 suits, we'll set up the templates for people to print their own cards if they want - if we sell it then we'll need a licence and permission from Terry etc so it's purely a fan endeavour with no profits or commercial merit. Fans design the cards and download the templates and print them out for themselves in other words :) This also means we can't make the templates downloadable publicly so it'll have to be done by PM on here and kept as something for people who belong to this forum :laugh:

The 2 decks that are currently under discussion aren't fanart by definition, in that the facecards are themed to Discworld, but don't really depict Terry's specific characters as such (well the Jack of Cups is Bibulous and Bilious I suppose, but that's really the only one) and it's for use at the Convention only and designed as though they're being used on Discworld in 'the Temple of the Lady' in A-M. Because this is going to be a Forum run event for the convention (so far that's me, Dotsie and Meerkat signed up for definite), which is why Lyndsey's giving us the nod to use a version of the forum turtle with the convention strapline on it ;)

To get an 8-suit deck of your own (this generic one) you'll only be able to get them if you're playing in the Cripple Mr. Onion Workshop at the convention next year and if you can provisionally commit to helping out at this stage, I can let you have an advance copy (without the convention back design) to practice the game with your family/friends beforehand - Dotsie has one already. This is therefore limited to people going to the Birmingham convention to be used there and to keep afterwards.

I can make more for prizes perhaps, but until the arrangements are firmed up, really the only sets being made will be to use in Birmingham and maybe some presentation packs for the Guests of Honour ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Well that's something. I'd still like to see "our" deck (I think it will be better, a caroc pack produced for profit won't work properly anyway).

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Colin Smythe's come up trumps for us :laugh: We have permission from Stephen Player to use the 'forum' turtle image (it's not Paul Kidby's A'tuin) BUT he's offered us what he says is a better image - this one

I agree it's a better, more dynamic image (I had to tart up the disc if you remember because the forum image turtle's cropped :rolleyes: ) and with the pencil modelling it'd be fairly simple for me to colour as the current one we have without affecting the background and titling which will represent the forum well enough.

Here's a reminder of what we're going to be using - what do you all think?

User Menu

Newsletter