2014 DWcon Manchester - The Grand Exhibition!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
If you want to go get in soon!! :mrgreen:

We have just sold member number A788, and so we now have 100 memberships left! You are all so amazing that we can only fit so much awesomeness in the Convention hotel at once (that and something about fire regulations and fitting people into event rooms), and so we will stop selling memberships to the Discworld Convention 2014 when we reach A888 (or possibly A7a7a7a. Eh?).

After that time, existing supporting members will still be able to upgrade to an attending membership.

We are still amazed and thrilled by how quickly the Convention is filling up, and this makes us at least 2 and a third times more eager to fill the programme with exciting things for you all to do in August 2014.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Ok! Taking a deep breath here and plunging in! So, I booked a supporting membership a few months ago, with no further plans. Now, I'm really trying to make this work (hope I'm not jinxing myself!). I don't have a room booked and I understand the first two hotels are sold out. I've been checking flights into Manchester, and not finding anything less than $1200. :eek: Any tips, advice?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Hey Suzanne - try this link http://dwcon.org/pages/12/hotel-information as it shows a third hotel, the Jury's Inn that they added a little while ago. That page also has a contact email for the Star Turtle's hotel booking team so they might be able to give you some other options including dropouts from the other two places. :laugh:

The venue and main hotel the Palace is right in the heart of the Manchester, so there's loads of other places to stay around there, just make sure you're nearer to Manchester's Oxford Road railway station (NOT Piccadilly Station - I kept making this mistake and it's not as close to the Palace) - the Palace postcode is M60 7HA

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Thanks Jan! Don't mind walking a few minutes to the main hotel. Looks like my potential roomie has already held something, although there was a little confusion about the difference between a double and a twin. Different meanings between here and there. :laugh:

Don't be sad Mici! :( Hopefully we'll get to meet another time! I'm going to do my best to make it. Hubby is really pushing me to go, especially since we found out that there might not be any more NADWcons. If I can just get past the sticker shock of the airfare.... doesn't help that it's right before xmas!

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Thanks guys! I would love to be able to make it. I just don't know if I should go ahead and buy the ticket, or wait a bit. Thanks for the suggestion Dug! I didn't really find a better deal on that site, but I was able to sign up for alerts. Maybe something good will pop up. I understand that I can catch the train from the airport to the city center?

We haven't even looked into flights (from Australia) just yet... that's a job for the new year. We're likely to fly into London, purely as it's the biggest hub, and then to drive/train around the UK visiting friends and relatives before and/or after the Con.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Also posted on the Broken Drum
[/list]quote="Who's Wee Dug"]This all started because of our Stateside members wanted someway of recognising forum member's.
So I asked if Chris would post this on the Transworld forum, but was a waiting on a reply from concom.
[quoted in the="chrisboote"]
Hi All Got a reply from concom
Simon has suggested rolling it into a Hedgehog party
What do you people think?
I can make up forum name/avatar badges for anyone who wants one, so we can flaunt our digital selves?
And yes, I could do that for the Transworld forum peeps as well. :laugh: :mrgreen]Also posted on the Broken Drum

shivers

Lance-Constable
Jul 31, 2012
If flying into London or Manchester itself aren't looking good you could also look at flying to Birmingham. They do quite a lot of long haul flights, and there's a train on the hour during the day from the airport to Manchester (takes about 2 hours on the train).

I'm really looking forward to the Con :dance: 216 days to go!

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
shivers said:
If flying into London or Manchester itself aren't looking good you could also look at flying to Birmingham. They do quite a lot of long haul flights, and there's a train on the hour during the day from the airport to Manchester (takes about 2 hours on the train).

I'm really looking forward to the Con :dance: 216 days to go!
Are you going to Shamrokon in Dublin as well shivers. :mrgreen:

User Menu

Newsletter