2014 DWcon Manchester - The Grand Exhibition!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
It will be tricky to find somebody driving to this convention due to the severe lack of parking. I supplied a lot of cardboard for various 'build it' events at the last convention because I could park. This year I am on the train as there is nowhere to leave a car at anything like a sensible price so they will have do do without building materials

Mar 13, 2013
London
Yes, The train is the way to go...
I'll just have to strap the thing onto my back...
I'm going to arrive crushed down to the size of Asphalt... and hopefully regain my 6' before it's time to do it again on the way home!

TwoShotTino

Lance-Corporal
Mar 19, 2011
Aylesbury
Murgatroyd said:
Hello Good people!

Is there any kind thoul who'th driving up to the convention from anywhere near London and might have room for one extra Thuitcathe? (I would deliver it to you and retrieve it from you before and after the con).

It meathureth about 28",by 20", by 8", and really ithn't too heavy. If you can help pleathe contact my by PM. Thuitable bribes and blandithmentth available on perthonal application!
I maybe able to help out as I will be driving and live in Aylesbury

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Next week begins the Restoration of the Great A'tuin coffee table - we're bringing him up with us to Manchester for the Art Exhibition so we've got a major clean-up job getting rid of 10 years worth of dust in between elephant tootsies, touching up flaky paintwork and sticking tusks back on that have been knocked off by waggy tails... :doh:

He's coming up in the car with us so it's gonna cost a fortune to park up for the duration, but he's worth sharing - my Dad would have been so chuffed! :mrgreen:

Mar 5, 2013
Leeds, W Yorks
hnorwood.co.uk
Visited the Palace today where the very very nice chap and chapesses of the committee gave me some of their valuable time to show me around, and identify a back door where I can unload my Angst (now, there's a thing!)
Very much appreciated.
It looks like it's going to be a great event. The venue has a certain opulence about it - I expected [Hercule Poirot] to appear round a corner... feel free to insert your own character in the [..] !
:)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Jan Van Quirm said:
Next week begins the Restoration of the Great A'tuin coffee table
I think I remember seeing pictures of that, back in the day. Please post photos once it's ready for its beauty shot!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Literally just received this on email :cry:

John Hix - Chair of International DWCon 2014 said:
We are very sorry to announce that Sir Terry Pratchett, our Guest of Honour for the Discworld Convention 2014, has just informed us he is no longer able to attend. He is deeply sorry to miss the event and has sent this message for us all:

"I have been putting off writing this announcement for quite some time and on good days thought I wouldn’t have to write it at all. However, it is with great reluctance that I have to tell you all that I will not be able to attend the upcoming Discworld Convention in Manchester. I am very sorry about this, but I have been dodging the effects of PCA and have been able to write for much longer than any of us ever thought possible, but now The Embuggerance is finally catching up with me, along with other age-related ailments. I know people will have already made plans far in advance and some will be travelling a long way, but this is the first time ever that I have been unable to attend a UK convention and I really am very sorry. They say time marches on, and it does, even though I have been running very fast to keep one step ahead of it. I really was looking forward to seeing your smiley, happy faces. Have fun everyone. Yes, on this occasion, have lots of fun." Terry Pratchett, July 2014

While it is not going to be the same without Sir Terry, we wish him all the best. Rob Wilkins, his Business Manager, will be bringing The Black Hat to the Convention to represent Terry in absentia and we will, of course, welcome it with all due honours. We have also been told that Terry is arranging a very special gift for all those who attend the Convention in person and we are very excited to see what this is!

Despite Terry not being able to come, we do have the power of technology and so have arranged a special Question and Answer session for the Saturday afternoon. In this we will see Terry on video answer some questions put to him by you, the Convention attendees, as well as the Guests and other Discworld names. If you would like to pose a question for Terry, go to http://www.dwcon.org/pages/questions, log in and ask away. All of these submissions will go to Rob Wilkins and he will ask them of Terry on camera at Pratchett Towers on your behalf. We are also assured The Black Hat will be on stage during the Q&A session, and that there will be a special announcement made afterwards.

For those of you worried about how Sir Terry's absence will affect our programme, rest assured we have a full timetable of exciting events to keep you occupied and many other Guests still coming for your education and delight. These include Rob Wilkins (who will be representing The Hat for the whole Convention), Bernard Pearson (the Cunning Artificer), Colin Smythe (Terry's long-time agent), Stephen Briggs, Ian Mitchell, Reb Voyce, Jacqueline Simpson, Jack Cohen, Ian Stewart, Daniel Knight (from Snowgum Films) and Ben Aaranovitch.
Sadly, Stephen Baxter is no longer able to attend but sends us his best wishes for the Convention and will be donating some special items for our Charity Auction instead.

We look forward to seeing you at the Palace Hotel in Manchester in just a few weeks' time!
Very, very sad news but, having seen a videoed interview with Terry at the Irish Con last year not altogether surprising as he did appear to be quite frail and (for him) having a little difficulty in following the flow of the conversation although he was quite coherent and fulsome in keeping his own side of the dialogue going. Although it certainly won't be the same without Terry being present in person it sounds like Rob will be doing his best to keep things cooking and exciting stuff like the premiere of Troll Bridge with director Daniel Knight and interesting new guests like Ben Aaronovich coming along will still mean we'll have tons of fun and lots to look forward to :dance:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Exactly! :laugh: The biggest pity of it is that Terry always seems to be having a whale of a time at the conventions I've been to and loves mixing with everyone, especially away from the function rooms.. :shifty: I think he's been very courageous in admitting he's not up to this kind of get together any more - with Skype and having some organised Q&A interviews I expect he'll still be involved remotely a fair bit in things as they go on and be able to relax in familiar suroundings at home and enjoy watching some of the events going on without the down side of having to be shepherded around the corridors and crowds all the time. :)

User Menu

Newsletter