SPOILERS Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents Discussion Group

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Forcing the topic away from spanking (again :rolleyes: ) and back to the book. This is from near the end when they find the remains of Mr Bunnsy:

'It's a lie,' said Peaches.
'Maybe it's a pretty story,' said Sardines.
'Yes,' said Dangerous Beans. 'Yes.' He turned his misty pink eyes to Darktan, who had to stop himself from crouching, and added: 'Perhaps it's a map.'
What do you understand Dangerous Beans to mean by that last comment? o_O

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tonyblack said:
What do you understand Dangerous Beans to mean by that last comment? o_O
I think he means that although it's not literally true, they can take lessons from it, & live better lives. Like the bible.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
poohbcarrot said:
...but they shouldn't believe every word as "gospel" truth, because it wasn't written by God, but by man.
You just can't argue your way around that with true believers *shrugs*. The man who wrote it was inspired by the god - it's a self-fulfilling fantasy (as defined several times by the prophet Pratchett) and is the fundamental basis of all stories of which the author (often several in religious fields) is the keystone as enabler. o_O

What made you start writing about Gloobs? We all have 'idols' lurking somewhere or other ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
That was part of the problem the rats had - they realised that the book was written not by some divine creature trying to show rats how to live with humans, but by a far from perfect human who probably would have got the exterminators in at the first sight of a rat. :)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Jan Van Quirm said:
poohbcarrot said:
...but they shouldn't believe every word as "gospel" truth, because it wasn't written by God, but by man.
You just can't argue your way around that with true believers *shrugs*. The man who wrote it was inspired by the god
Exactly, the man was inspired by the God, therefore as man is fallible, his interpretation can be flawed. Otherwise, in order to be a true believer, all Christians would have to believe in the creation of everything in 7 days. Of course they don't, but you can truly believe in god without truly believing in the bible as a work of fact.

As I said before, although the bible isn't literally true, man can take lessons from it & live his life by those lessons.

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
We just read this in my 20th C. Children's Fantasy course and I have to say I was impressed. This was the first book by Terry Pratchett that I've ever read and I loved it.

What I found interesting though is that aside from the world it is set in, it was not so much a novel of Discworld, but a beast fable that happened to be set in Discworld.

Those elements of the world that make Pratchett and Discworld what they are, seemed to be pushed to the side in favour of re-writing a common children's tale and creating more of an adventure story for kids to enjoy.

Cheers.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Fizz said:
Those elements of the world that make Pratchett and Discworld what they are, seemed to be pushed to the side in favour of re-writing a common children's tale and creating more of an adventure story for kids to enjoy.

Cheers.
The thing with 'young' adults (formerly known as children) books is that we're all children still in some measure - why else would Harry Potter be so widely read (spare me the theories about reading ages please - I was reading and getting bored stiff by Swift and Longfellow in the original (with great illustrations luckily) at 5.5 years old :laugh: ). With fantasies in particular there's such a fine line between what's suitable for sub-teenage reading and what adults'll swallow (including the simplicity or otherwise of language) that it's almost not worth trying to define anymore aside from the sex and violence aspects and that's more a social/regional thing these days with movies and telly blurring the lines the whole time.

With Terry's young adult writing there's hardly any difference at all in his writing style to all intents and purposes - just that the age ratio for the characters are slanted to young more than old. The Feegles for instance, being wee and free, defy age categorisation and the Elf Queen might as well be Angelica in Rag Rats is terms of being a psychopath :twisted: ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think it's fair to say that most of Terry's Discworld books are 'fables' in that they have a deeper meaning than the obvious story. They make you think and draw conclusions about our own lives by comparison to the fantasy world that he writes about. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
N1v3n said:
I had the audio book years ago. Think it was Stephen Kirby. He did a great job, one of the rats was Welsh and another sounded like Michael Caine :laugh:
I think you mean Stephen Briggs. ;)

I've got the abridged audiobook read by Tony Robinson - from a charity shop. I've only played it once as Tony Robinson's characterisation sucks! I really, really hate his voice for Maurice. :rolleyes:

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
Jan Van Quirm said:
Fizz said:

Cheers.
The thing with 'young' adults (formerly known as children) books is that we're all children still in some measure - why else would Harry Potter be so widely read (spare me the theories about reading ages please - I was reading and getting bored stiff by Swift and Longfellow in the original (with great illustrations luckily) at 5.5 years old :laugh: ). With fantasies in particular there's such a fine line between what's suitable for sub-teenage reading and what adults'll swallow (including the simplicity or otherwise of language) that it's almost not worth trying to define anymore aside from the sex and violence aspects and that's more a social/regional thing these days with movies and telly blurring the lines the whole time.

With Terry's young adult writing there's hardly any difference at all in his writing style to all intents and purposes - just that the age ratio for the characters are slanted to young more than old. The Feegles for instance, being wee and free, defy age categorisation and the Elf Queen might as well be Angelica in Rag Rats is terms of being a psychopath :twisted: ;)
I just felt that he did not emphasize aspects of Discworld as much as he emphasized aspects of the beast fable or the fantastical. Aside from a few subtle references to some buildings, Discworld is absent. In fact in my seminar discussion, only myself and one of my good friends had knowledge of Discworld and we had to explain to everyone the concept. The majority of the class was not concerned with Discworld as a whole. :eek:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think that's the case with a lot of the later books. It's not usually necessary to the story to know the nature of the Discworld other than it is a fantasy place where strange things happen.

It's not even necessary to know about Unseen University other than it's a magical place which dumps its waste without much thought of the consequences.

All we need to know is that the rats ate this stuff and that made them smarter than they were and that Maurice became smart from eating one of the rats. It's set on Discworld, but that's somewhat beside the point. You could have probably set it on Middle Earth or on dozens of other fantasy worlds where magic is common. :laugh:

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
It's not even necessary to know about Unseen University other than it's a magical place which dumps its waste without much thought of the consequences.

All we need to know is that the rats ate this stuff and that made them smarter than they were and that Maurice became smart from eating one of the rats. It's set on Discworld, but that's somewhat beside the point. You could have probably set it on Middle Earth or on dozens of other fantasy worlds where magic is common.
We spoke at length about just this issue. Much of the discussion of our course has centered around what constitutes Children's Fantasy Literature.

The fact that this story happens to be set in a fantastical world was missed by most of the class. The one theme that consistently popped up in discussion was Pratchett's use of mythology and fairy tale.

Specifically with references to The Pied Piper of Hamelin and many other nods. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM is also being invoked with this story.

Cheers.

User Menu

Newsletter