SPOILERS Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents Discussion Group

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Re: Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents Discussion Grou

Of course TP may not have got the Lady Hermione from Harry Potter, but maybe from;

Hermione (given name), a female given name
Hermione (mythology), only daughter of Menelaus and Helen in Greek mythology and original bearer of the name
HMS Hermione, seven ships of the Royal Navy
French frigate Hermione (1779), a French frigate that carried La Fayette to join the American fight for independence in 1780
USS Hawk (IX-14), formerly called Hermione
121 Hermione, an asteroid
Cadmus et Hermione, an opera by Jean-Baptiste Lully
Ermioni, a resort town in Greece originally called Hermione
HERmione, a novel
Hermiones, The Irminones, a group of early Germanic tribes
Hermione (Tallulah, Louisiana), a Greek Revival building built in 1855 in Tallulah, Louisiana
Hotspot Ecosystem Research and Man's Impact On European Seas (HERMIONE), an EU-funded deep-sea research project
Letter to Hermione, a song from the album Space Oddity by David Bowie
Sony Ericsson P990, a mobile phone codenamed Hermione
:dance: :dance: :dance:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012

poohcarrot said:
Of course TP may not have got the Lady Hermione from Harry Potter, but maybe from;

Hermione (mythology), only daughter of Menelaus and Helen in Greek mythology and original bearer of the name
HMS Hermione, seven ships of the Royal Navy
French frigate Hermione (1779), a French frigate
[snip]
I believe that in a discussion elsewhere, the famous actress Hermione Gingold was mentioned as a possible source of the name.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012

poohcarrot said:
I'll give you Lady Hermione, Harry King and Ronald Carney.
So it does seem more than coincidental that all three names are in the book. ...
PS Who are the other Hermiones, Harrys and Rons in The Truth? o_O
Miss Hermione King, who is engaged to be married.
Mr. Harry, who lost a watch and put an ad in the paper, and then found it in his coat pocket.
Coffin Henry, whose name would be adapted to Harry if anyone wanted to be that friendly. (He's kind of a stealth Harry.)
Foul Ole Ron. I had at one time believed there was a Ron working in the livery stable, but that turned out to be a mistake by William, who smelled Gaspode and thought it was Foul Ole Ron.
Incidentally, the name William is also repeated - Willie Hobson.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012

Back on topic, I believe one of the ratcatchers in Bad Blintz is named Ron.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

Hi Florian and welcome! :)

Interesting article and I see what you mean. It's the rats I feel sorry for though.

In case anyone wondered what a real Rat King looks like, there's a picture of one on this Wiki.

Natalya

Lance-Corporal
Feb 1, 2012
Russia, Lipetsk
www.youtube.com

I appreciate deeply this book... Thank you, Sir Terry! This book has being first after long time when...
In short: :) : I've read it in bus and missed my station!... In fact, my surroundings disappeared and I heard voice of Old Rat Leader (when he was in rat-pit, alone with his mind against dog... )... Incredible!
In some parts it very funny story. I 've even read some text to my husband aloud (I was translating into Russian at the same time).
But I realy cried when Darktan was near his death... and when Maurice brought out Dangerouse Beans from fire, in spite of his own temporary 'stupidness'....
But final was ... as final of Sir Terry's book.
Real ( as a truth! ) and kind! :dance:

Natalya

Lance-Corporal
Feb 1, 2012
Russia, Lipetsk
www.youtube.com

Penfold, me too :dance:
I wonder either I'm still a child, or a 'Maurice' is not such a children's book :laugh:
Seriously:
'Deeply sense&feelings '- book, I mean...
Little rats who have suddenly got a human minds.
They like a child who's suddenly become adult very fast ... Sometimes it is so painful for soul...

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com

I'm nearly fifty years old and still enjoy his books aimed at 'young adults'. I think it is because he doesn't patronize young people and treats them as being intelligent enough to handle the subject matters he writes about ("I Shall Wear Midnight", for example, is supposed to be categorized as a 'children's book' but it contains some seriously adult themes right from the beginning). :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

And I'm more than 50 and I love the book. :)

Maurice is almost an early draft of Moist von Lipwig. He enjoys accumulating wealth almost as a way of showing how clever he is. He's convinced himself that he's doing it to help the rats and therefore he's being clever and caring. But, at least at the start, it's more of a game to him.

Natalya

Lance-Corporal
Feb 1, 2012
Russia, Lipetsk
www.youtube.com

Tonyblack said:
He's convinced himself that he's doing it to help the rats and therefore he's being clever and caring. But, at least at the start, it's more of a game to him.
Yes... but in the end he gave own life to Dangerous Beans without doubt...Because absolutely most of us have got a heart! Even the Cleverest of Cats :)
I've never read about Moist von Lipwig (only watched film 'Going Postal' ). It is in my future plans! :)
I read in English so slow... so far! o_O

Penfold, honestly, sometimes I was slightly wondered when I read 'I shall wear midnight' or 'WinterSmith', too. 'Is THIS for children??? Realy, English children is older than the same age children in Russia ?!'
(But seriously I'm sure that 30...50...100 years ago children had were becoming older faster than today, in the whole world ).

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry

Natalya said:
Penfold, honestly, sometimes I was slightly wondered when I read 'I shall wear midnight' or 'WinterSmith', too. 'Is THIS for children??? Realy, English children is older than the same age children in Russia ?!'
(But seriously I'm sure that 30...50...100 years ago children had were becoming older faster than today, in the whole world ).
perhaps not for younger children but for older children 13 plus unlike Maurice and His Educated Rodents which could be for 11 years plus

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

Yes Natalya, he does show that he really cares about the rats to the point of being prepared to die for them - but the book is partly about his journey to come to realise this. :)

User Menu

Newsletter