American cover on ebook version of Unseen Academicals :-(

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Crowl

Oct 14, 2009
I bought the latest Discworld novel in ebook form and while the story itself is obviously brilliant, it was a shame to see that it came from the american publisher and thus had one of their shockingly inferior covers rather than the proper ones of the uk edition.

Here's hoping that Terry's uk publishers will have caught up to modern technology a bit better by the time his next book comes out.

Egads, I am vaguely ashamed to be lumped in with the "Average American" public. ...Well, Almost, I don't understand why they cannot find a 1/2 way point. I really did not like Josh Kidby's covers, they were too sexist and made it hard to connect the characters pictured to the book. I am hoping they can at least make a compromise. *Hopes :laugh: *

It begins to make one feel like a cross between an Igor and the Elephant Man... *drags one foot and shouts, I am NOT AN IDIOT... A LOT OF US AREN'T IDIOTSSSSS!!!*

Mercedes Lackey and Jody Lyn Nye take care of the cover art them selves. It makes for pretty covers and interesting NON-Sexist for men OR wimmens eye candy. grrrrr.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Actually, I'm really not very keen on the Paul Kidby cover for UA. After reading the book I found that the new characters as depicted on the cover, really don't fit my image of them.

The US cover is ok - the hands in the air with the ball is not a problem considering the early version of the game as described in the story.

The important bit is the bit between the covers. ;)

Welcome to the site Crowl! :laugh:

kakaze said:
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
I really did not like Josh Kidby's covers, they were too sexist
How were they sexist?
As an example, The Light Fantastic, it was a very, very busy cover, Rincewind, looked Nothing like he should have looked, there was a female hottie wearing very little gauze, and Cohen looked like a Dwarf.

If you are gonna have a female hottie, at least give the wimmins some eye candy too.

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
kakaze said:
I really did not like Josh Kidby's covers, they were too sexist
How were they sexist?
As an example, The Light Fantastic, it was a very, very busy cover, Rincewind, looked Nothing like he should have looked, there was a female hottie wearing very little gauze, and Cohen looked like a Dwarf.

If you are gonna have a female hottie, at least give the wimmins some eye candy too.
The sexy young woman on the cover was Bethan, a sexy young woman that Cohen rescued/kidnapped from the druids. The dwarf was Lackjaw, the dwarf who made Cohen's dentures. Cohen is the one-eyed, almost naked, man with the sword who's being towed by the luggage.

However, I will admit that the depiction of what's-her-name on the American cover of Reaper Man is sexest, or at least agest.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tonyblack said:
The US cover is ok - the hands in the air with the ball is not a problem considering the early version of the game as described in the story.
Except that in the early version of the game, the ball wasn't ball-shaped.

And I kept thinking that Vetinari was going to be the referee. What was that all about? o_O

Oct 15, 2009
Tonyblack said:
Actually, I'm really not very keen on the Paul Kidby cover for UA. After reading the book I found that the new characters as depicted on the cover, really don't fit my image of them.
Gotta admit Mr. Nutt and Glenda don't exactly look the way I would expect them to either. However IMO that is a pretty much universal problem: Almost every reader of a book will have a different picture of the characters and when they are visualized they will always be a disappointment to some.

For instance the way Kidby draws Vimes and Vetinari never really matched my idea of what the two should look like. On the other hand he absolutely nailed my idea of Rincewind and Nanny Ogg. Overall I still much prefer his style over that Josh Kirby used for the earlier covers.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Egads, I am vaguely ashamed to be lumped in with the "Average American" public. ...Well, Almost, I don't understand why they cannot find a 1/2 way point. I really did not like Josh Kidby's covers, they were too sexist and made it hard to connect the characters pictured to the book. I am hoping they can at least make a compromise. *Hopes :laugh: *
Then Tina please stop apologizing for it! ;) I mean really, is book cover art the responsibility of an entire nation? :laugh:

I agree with Tony. The important part is in-between. ;)

I'm very proud to be "lumped in" with the American public. ;) The horrible stuff is not my fault (paticularly a certain 8 years). I exercize my rights to change what I can, I'm a polite tourist, I believe I'm reasonably intelligent and well travelled and all of the above applies to most other Americans I know. And I did not draw the U.S. cover art for UA. :laugh:

Sorry, off my soap box now. I just find the idea that we have to apologize for everything American particularly tiresome. Last I checked, we hadn't cornered the market on idiocy - or bad cover art.

Although apologies are definitely due to you B.B. Shrooms for hijacking your thread! Sorry! :oops: :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
B.B.Shrooms said:
Tonyblack said:
Gotta admit Mr. Nutt and Glenda don't exactly look the way I would expect them to either. However IMO that is a pretty much universal problem: Almost every reader of a book will have a different picture of the characters and when they are visualized they will always be a disappointment to some.

For instance the way Kidby draws Vimes and Vetinari never really matched my idea of what the two should look like. On the other hand he absolutely nailed my idea of Rincewind and Nanny Ogg. Overall I still much prefer his style over that Josh Kirby used for the earlier covers.
Welcome to the site, B.B.Shrooms! :laugh:

Actually the ball on the UK cover is also wrong. Trev is wearing (for some reason) a wizards' hat and I'm not sure what the Luggage is doing there. ;)

Oct 15, 2009
Tonyblack said:
Welcome to the site, B.B.Shrooms! :laugh:

Actually the ball on the UK cover is also wrong. Trev is wearing (for some reason) a wizards' hat and I'm not sure what the Luggage is doing there. ;)
Thanks for the welcome.

You are obviously right about the cover, but I think it can be explained as simply being one of these team pictures that are taken right before the game and since the traditional attire for UU wizards includes the pointy hat Trev is wearing a hat too.

As for the luggage If you go back to the book, the wizards did experiment with having her play soccer. However the result was pretty bad....

Regardless, I like the British cover A LOT better than the US version. But of course tastes differ.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
I often prefer the UK ones as well, the Paul Kidby ones. I've never been too crazy about the Josh Kirby ones. Actually, I haven't seen the UK cover for UA yet. Can someone put up a pic?

And Welcome B.B. Shrooms! :laugh: Sorry I forgot to add that to the last post.

User Menu

Newsletter