best discworld novel ever?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Hi Matt,

I don't know if I could pick just one. My favourite is usually the one I'm reading at he moment. Which right now would be Night Watch. But Hogfather is also very good.

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
lords and ladies, Thud, going postal, jingo, guards guards, feet of clay, making money, hat full of sky, wee free men, wintersmith. these are the favourites that come to my mind right now, couldn't choose from them, with great pain i could turn them to "thud, going postal, guards guards" but i prefer not to :(

My favourites are all the watch novels, Small gods, hogfather, interesting times, lords and ladies, and Going Postal
Hogfather has almost zero mention of The Watch, other than the part where Nobby and Colon are sent to remove the 'fake imposter' hogfather from the department store. It's really not the main theme.

EDIT: Cancel that. I've just realised what you actually meant. Sorry.

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
Quark said:
My favourites are all the watch novels, Small gods, hogfather, interesting times, lords and ladies, and Going Postal
Hogfather has almost zero mention of The Watch, other than the part where Nobby and Colon are sent to remove the 'fake imposter' hogfather from the department store. It's really not the main theme.

EDIT: Cancel that. I've just realised what you actually meant. Sorry.
No worries and Pooh is right it's Nobby and Visit ;)

Jan 6, 2010
This is very tricky - almost like trying to decide which of the eight records you'd save on Desert Island Discs.

But the one book that I re-read most often, aside from Good Omens, which doesn't really count, is Soul Music. Being somewhat connected (by marriage) to a musician, it speaks to me on a lot of different levels. It's also got some of the finest Pratchett puns in it. The one question I've always wanted to ask is whether Terry had the idea for the final 'Elvish' joke and then wrote the book around it, or whether it just seemed to good a joke to not to include.

I'm re-reading UA at the moment, and getting more out of it. When there's a new TP book out, I tend to devour it at one sitting and then leave it for a while before I go back and take my time over reading it again (and again, and again.)

Best wishes,

Tony

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tone The Phone said:
I'm re-reading UA at the moment, and getting more out of it. When there's a new TP book out, I tend to devour it at one sitting and then leave it for a while before I go back and take my time over reading it again (and again, and again.)

Best wishes,

Tony
I'm the same - I sometimes have to make myself low down or I read them too quickly the first time. :laugh:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I agree, I find the books get even better on the second (or third) reading. I still can't choose an absolute favourite tho', they all offer something different depending on my frame of mind at the time of reading. I can state, however, that my least favourite is Lords and Ladies (no reason that I can put my finger on, it just is).

User Menu

Newsletter